Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

we are hoping to go away somewhere early June when the girls will be 10mths old and wanted some advice on how much of a faff it would be to go abroad? or should we go somewhere in this countrt and go away next year? We have never even stayed overnight anywhere with the girls and they always sleep in their own beds (i.e we have never taken them out at night) so not sure how they would take to the whole experience. Did you take them away at a similar age? how much stuff do you have to take?

X

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Hi - we live abroad and we always go to the UK or France on holiday. I think the faff is worth it. It depends on where you are thinking of going - if you are going by car it is quite easy as you can just load it up. Obviously you are more limited  on what you can take by plane but most airlines let you take the pushchair and car seats without it eating in to your luggage allowance (remember the babies don't get one) and then depending on where you are staying, you might not have to take any other equipment.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi Mrs B

i am thinking about the same thing at the moment!  We are the same and have never slept anywhere else with babies.  i am thinking of just doing 1night somewhere as a practice run.  Although the amount of things i took just for a day at xmas, is making me think its not worth it!

i have seen a website tots to italy, were they provide you with everything you need ie, highcahirs, cots sterilsers.  Think they also go to france, although not sure of prices!!

Let me know what you decide on, my 2 are roughly the same age as yours and difficult o know if they will be on the move by then!

Lynsey xx

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
We took two single buggies, joiner, playmat, bag of toys, 2 slings, spoons, bowls, quite a lot of babyfood. Bought nappies out there, babies ate food from all inc buffet as well

2 carseats and DS1's booster

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
hotel had cots, highchair, laundry service

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ladies  :)

Lynsey - will let you know what we decide! We were also thinking of doing a practice run to see how we get on

DG - what did you do with the babies in the evening when you went to eat? Mine are only used to bath & bed so I am not sure how they would be at being taken out when we had food?

Choc teapot - where do you live?

xx

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Dinner starts about 6 IIRC. We ate early. I had thought they might doze in the buggies but they didn't, so I would go back to the room and settle them and watch TV/read while DP took Ds1 to minidisco etc. Rooms have balconies if you don't want to be too close while they're sleeping

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
MrsB, best thing is to skew the whole day time wise so they can go to bed at the time you want...just get them up at 6 or 8 or whatever and tell them it's 7, so it all fits, LOL

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Choc teapot - che bella! I lived in Bergamo for a year when I was in uni and then spent a couple of summers working there so I know Italy quite well. Lucky duck!

xx

·
Premium Member
7,539 Posts
Mrs B - we have a place in Spain and are taking the boys there at Easter (6 months)  ;D  ;D  -  we are SOOOOO looking forward to it and we are going back in the Summer when they will be 9 months.

We have stayed in hotels a couple of times so far and also with relatives in the UK - you do need alot of stuff but they seem to travel well.

I can recommend Spain as they love children and you can take them out at anytime!

Karenanna xxx

·
Registered
477 Posts
we went to centre parcs when twins were 6 mths, they were to little for everything but was still nice to get away from all the motherly chores plus feel comfy in a restaurant with babies crying as so family friendly.  We went in dec and still had nice time.  took them to tenerife at 10mths, took the granies for help, was alot of planning.  We got private apartments but there is lots of hire companies that hire all sort of equipment ie steriliers, bouncers, bumbo seats, travel cots etc so it is easy to get al that there.  Luckily we had enough nappies baby milk etc as would have cost a fortune because of the euro rate.

I enjoyed being abroad but all the getting to airport, hanging around, tfr at other end etc plus living in room with no carpets etc I just found it bit to much hassle.

Least at centre parcs etc is more catered for kids and just load the car up and off you go, plus you know if you need anything its easy to get from local supermarket. 

·
Registered
3 Posts
We took our twins to Hungary at three months - we hired a car with the car seats and stayed around Lake Balaton in the countryside. The flight was only an hour and a half and the whole day (to the airport, flying and getting out the other side) was quite long, but well worth it. The babies loved the countryside and were able to just play outside in the shade - although it was still hard work, it really felt like a good break for mum and dad as well.

·
Premium Member
5,129 Posts
Hi

As we live in Italy (coincidentally blimmin boring bergamo) we have taken our boy away masses.  I wouldnt bother doing a trial run, as one night may be unsettling, but won't give the babies the chance to get used to it.

Have found it easier to stay in villas cos that way I know he'll eat, but don't get much rest that way.  We went to Barcelona when r was just one, stayed in a hotel, he ate v little for four days, he didn't doze when we went out for dinner, but altho it was nothing like going on holiday in our childless days, it was still good!

X

·
Registered
721 Posts
We've been to apartment in Portugal, caravan in Wales, Center parcs and hotel in London. As long as you're organised you'll be fine!
Dg; where did you get joiner from? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well we have decided to stick to this country for a first holiday and are going to a cottage in the lakes, if we feel braver we are going to take them abroad in September. Thanks for all the advice and tips!!  :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi mrs b

Us too! Except we are going to ribby hall village in a cottage! Least we can load the car up and cottage will be set up with cots etc!  We are going next month as really need a break after both babies being ill.  Have a great time, let's just hope the weather dosent let us down!! X

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.