Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have just been to see Dr ******* at the miscarriage clinic and am a bit confused by the consultation.  He advised all my test were okay but he would still advise Herpin and steriods because of my history.  I have had 3 losses in the past and am about to embark on a second try and DE in Spain.  I am okay about taking meds but not sure now results negative.  My Spanish consultant dpesn't agree with immune issues and advises me to not take meds.  My results were Total NK 12.5% , dr ******* said in past this would be considered slightly high as normal should be up to 12.  However he said research now indicates this reading isn't relevant and one he concentrates on is Total NK CD69 absolute count which should be below 1 and mine was .42 so he said nothing to worry about.  I have Dr Beers book so am trying to make sense of that but am struggling.  Feel really confused with it all and would appreciate to hear from anyone with similar experience or more knowledge than me-not hard ::) anyway thanks for reading and any advice appreciatedx

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
Can't help hun but I do tx in Spain and they don't believe in immunolgy tests etc so won't really help much  ::)

Kay xxx

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi Redmond,

I had a much higher NK cells reading just after a failed attempt. When I saw Dr ******* (and he only did an earlier form of the test you had) I did his tests months after a failed attempt. Same when I did Dr Beer's tests.

Then I did one of Dr Beer's tests right after a failure and it was MUCH higher.

Sometimes doctors make decisions on their clinical judgement, not tests. Tests are not infallible. My timing showed how they changed.

Dr ******* sounds as if he made a judgement using your history and decided to give less weighting to the tests. That doesn't mean he is right.

You are stuck between your spanish consultant and Dr *******. Not a happy place to be. Sorry no real advice to give.

Do you have any obvious immune activation symptoms in your last 2ww's?

Hope that this helps anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Dear Redmond

I had NK tests with Dr ******* too after two failed IVF attempts.  All the results came back normal but he suggested I go on his protocol of Heparin, steroids and aspirin for my next IVF cycle - his reasoning being that, because of my history, I might have immune issues which current tests wouldn't show up and that the protocol he prescribed was safe for early pregnancy.

I decided that I didn't want to take Heparin because I am vegetarian (it is pig-derived). When I spoke to my clinic about the steroids and aspirin prescrbed by Dr ******* , they weren't supportive, saying that the steroid dose prescribed was quite high and that they didn't recommend taking aspirin in the first trimester of pregnancy.  This didn't surprise me as they are a very "conservative" clinic in terms of treatment, and I could have gone ahead in any case as I had a private prescription from Dr *******.  However, I eventually decided that, although I obviously very much wanted the next IVF cycle to work, I wasn't prepared to take drugs with possible side effects for the baby when my NK test results didn't specifically indicate a need for them.  (Sorry, don't mean to alarm anyone who is taking this kind of protocol - I think we all have to make our own decisions in terms of how far we are prepared to go).

As it happened, my third IVF cycle was successful, aged 42 and with my own eggs, without the Heparin, steroids and aspirin.  This was after 9.5 years ttc without even a whiff ever of a BFP.  (We were unexplained).

Not sure if this helps at all but this was my experience.

Good luck whatever you decide. ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Ellie

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi all,

I just wanted to support what Ellie has said about the steriods..... I have had 4 miscarriges, and saw Mr ******* after my third. During my fourth i took the prednislone, but again it didnt work... Im not saying it doesnt work, but I feel for my next Pregnancy, I have decided not to take them, as the side effects do worry me. ie cleft palate.

But its all indiviual, and I'm very aware that this protocol will work for many women.

good luck to all!

Knights1 x

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi-thanks for your responses girls.  I have decided to have another chat with my Spanish consultant and then decide.  Thanks for taking time to respond.  Ellie lovely to read your positive outcome and kind of proves what my consultant says it's just a numbers game! Flopsy good luck with your next treatment. Same to you Knights ^reiki^
RedX

1 - 6 of 6 Posts