Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD is now 10 months old and in a month or so, I'd like to give her breast milk via a bottle as I need to start medication where I can't breastfeed anymore. I've never expressed milk and never given her formula, but thought that I could maybe express from now 'til then and freeze it and use it for as long as it lasts.

My queries:

I'm after advice on the most user friendly / economical breast pump.
Also, wondering when should I fit in the expressing if I'm still feeding LO too. I wondered if I should express straight after a daytime feed and hopefully my body will produce more each day from then?

One thing I'm worried about is that up until now, DD has got a lot of comfort from my breast as well as the milk and when she's tired she enjoys latching on even when she's not really sucking properly. I'm really worried that she's going to miss the contact and that when I hold her she's going to be screaming for the breast. I've found breastfeeding especially handy when she gets grisly in public/'out and about' as it always soothes her. I've considered delaying starting the drug treatment because of this. Any views?

Love Lily. xxx

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hiya Lily

Re breast pumps- if you are intending to express regularly I would suggest you purchase a double electric pump. These type of pumps are the most effective way of expressing breast milk (research supports this). The 2 best pumps are Ameda Lactaline or the Medela Pump in style.

Re time of day for expressing- best time varies for each mum. Most commonly, the morning is the best time. So after feeding, express both breasts at the same time (the side she fed from most will produce less). Or you could take a time of day when she never feeds and express at that time every day. It will take your body a couple of days to adjust.

Your dd will know that you are the one who gives her comfort from the breast. It will take her a little while to get used to it, but its certainly worth you starting to combine feeding.

There are a couple of threads on the ask a HV section re introducing a bottle to a breast fed baby..its worth you reading as you may gather ideas about best way to introduce a bottle.

I dont know what drug tx you are about to start (you can IM me) so I cant suggest whether or not you should delay starting it.

If I can be of any more help just shout!

Jxxx

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi J,
Thanks so much for the reply - I just found it. After seeing a few views and no responses initially, I gave up looking until now!

Re: regularity of expressing - well I intend to express everyday, is that regular enough to justify the more expensive electric pump. I was looking at the 'Avent' ISIS manula pump. Would I struggle with that?

Re: How much will I get? I'm wondering if what I express will only be enough for one 'feed', so if I express once per day for one month, that's only going to last half a month. I'm now thinking I should have started this earlier and better get a move on.

Re: From 12 months, do most babies go onto cow's milk as their main drink, or in practice are mothers still continuing with breast/formula? I don't want to stop sooner than everyone else!

Love Lily. xxx

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hi Lily

12mths of age- the choice is yours. I continued expressing until molly was about 15 mths. You can do it for as long as you like. I know some mums express or breast fed for however long their baby wants it. So you dont have to give up yet!!

The research does say for long term pumping an electric double pump is best. The Ameda Lactaline comes in at around £85 plus p&p..but that comes with everything you need and is a really good pump. Well worth the money. You can also, once you have finished with it, sell it on ebay to get back some of your money. You will get more for an ameda pump on ebay than the avent Isis. My hubby at the mo is selling the pump for £85 including 10 x 100ml bottles If you shop around, you will see that this is a really good deal. Medela do a pump which is a little more than that pump.

You may find that expressing 2 a day is better to help build up your fridge/ freezer supply.

Amounts- again this varies between women. After a 1-2 weeks double pumping you should be getting anywhere between 3-7oz.

So if you express at the same time each day at the time you are giving the milk in a bottle thats great..then maybe express either after the morning feed (normally you will have loads of milk) or later at night when you now dd wont want a fed.

Let me know if that makes sense!!

Jxxx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.