Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I wonder if anyone can give me any advice, or offer your experience of swimming aids.

Lola will be spending quite a bit of time at the pool and waterpark over the summer, and she's a bit of a daredevil. She happily throws herself down slides etc without a care in the world. And although obviously she'll never be left unattended at any time, I want to make sure that she's got some support in the water.

I don't want to use arm bands and I'm not keen on the all-in-one floatsuits, so I wondered if these buoyancy jackets are any good or do they just rise up to their neck once they're in the water?

http://www.simplyswim.com/ProductDetails.aspx?StockID=46376

Or failing that, has anyone got any other recommendations?

Thanks,
Jo xx

/links

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
my niece has one of these and they are good

she had it on hol in portugal and it kept her up without riding up her body. Hers is from mothercare and you can adjust the bouyancy as they get older by adding or removing the foam pads so that they don't tip over etc.

Will be investing in one for matthew when hes fit for swimming.

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Hi Sugar,

I asked the question of KL's swimming teacher ... he's been having lessons since he was 12 weeks old and like Lola, a bit of a daredevil  :eek:  We're off on hols next week.

She advised me not to use anything at this age .... just to go in the water with him  :-\ Don't know if that as helped at all, but I thought I would let you know the advice I was given.

Bels x

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Outspan, that's good to know. How old is your niece by the way?

Thanks Bels...I don't normally use any type of aid, so I can see where L's teacher is coming from, but what worries me is if she decides to lauch herself down the slide at the waterpark before I can stop her, and it takes me a few seconds to get to her in the pool at the bottom. I wouldn't normally use it just for playing about in the pool, but there's so many opportunities for accidents at the waterpark that I wanted a bit of reassurrance.

Jo xx

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Hi Jo

I have one of those jackets for my DS as he want swimming with us for the 1st time last week and he is 20m old and has little fear of things (he walks off the sofa as if it continues on!  ^idiot^ )the jacket is good and i only use when he is on the slide at swimming as he does come down rather fast and splash however is safe.

The one i have is like the photo of the one you like and it does have removable pads to come out as/when you feel happy

Bels- intesting info from the swimming teacher-I want to start mine in lessons ASAP!

xx

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
MJ,

Yes, do go for swimming lessons.  KL has now learnt that he needs to get to the side and hold on so he doesn't sink and will happily swim between myself and his swimming teacher unaided.  So although he can't swim as yet, I feel confident that he won't panic, which is half the battle really.  If you join your local Netmums, they have a list of swimming lessons in your area  ;)

Bels x

·
Registered
878 Posts
Jo alfie uses a similar jacket, and he's bopping around the pool 'solo' now. and jumps in. He also uses a 'woggle' (foam tube).  The jacket doesnt ride up, I managed to get a 1-2years in Floaties, that was the only make I could find to go that small.

this week he managed his 'starfish 4' badge,  is he aiming for the olympics?!?!  ;D

Elaine x

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Elaine & MJ...I think I will go for one of the jackets then.

And congratulations Alfie  ^bow^ Definitely think we've got the next Duncan Goodhew in training!

Elaine, I can't find a small floaties swim jacket online...where did you buy yours from? The simply swim one is 2-3 years, which I think might be ok for Lola anyway, seeing as she's so tall. What do you think?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Bels said:
MJ,

Yes, do go for swimming lessons. KL has now learnt that he needs to get to the side and hold on so he doesn't sink and will happily swim between myself and his swimming teacher unaided. So although he can't swim as yet, I feel confident that he won't panic, which is half the battle really. If you join your local Netmums, they have a list of swimming lessons in your area ;)

Bels x
Have now joined netmums and emailed about a few things already! omg i think me and the children are going to be sooooooooo busy with all the things i want to do! yay!

xxx

·
Registered
878 Posts
Jo the 1 - 2 years fits Alfie just right at the mo, and he's not massive, so I think 2 -3 may just be ok.
hope you have fun with it.

Elaine x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts