Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I asked about advice re expressing etc - the practical side of this I will try and work out. However, I wondered if I could ask you ladies about the psychological side? I'm really worried that when I stop BF (I need to start particular drugs) my baby is going to suffer psychologically as I've left it quite late to wean. My thoughts are that it's probably easier at 6 months than 11? DD is now 10 months and finds a lot of comfort in BF, esp at night or when we're out. Am I going to find it incredibly hard to keep her feeling confident and calm if I stop BF at this stage before she's ready? Any advice? I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to hold her to comfort her as she'll immediately be trying to get to my breast and then get frustrated when she I won't let her? I'm getting really stressed and worried about this.

Any thoughts/opinions/advice welcome.

Love Lily. xxx

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Hi Lily

She won't suffer. She will quickly forget which will be much much harder for you to come to terms with than for her. Its like anything you remove from a child - breast, dummy, being rocked to sleep etc etc. They needed it because they knew nothing different but at worst you have a few rough days or weeks as they show their frustration at not getting what they expect but then they soon  forget. Children are generally very adaptable.

I bf until Ethan until 15 months but luckily for me he weaned himself. That was hard enough on me but I know I would have found it very hard to wean him before he chose to stop so big hugs to you. It will be an emotional time but hopefully she will soon have other ways of comforting herself. Might be worth encouraging a fave toy to snuggle up to when she is feeding so that when you stop bf she still has the familiar toy to cuddle when she needs some comfort.

Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself - she will be fine  ;)

Nicky x

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nicky. The toy is a good idea. Think I'm thinking about it even more at the mo as DD is poorly with rotaviral infection, so needing much love, attention and BF - thank goodness I am still am. Not looking forward to stopping....

Love Lily xxx
PS Ethan is so cute. xx

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I stopped BF at 9 months. My dd had never wanted a bottle despite my efforts but at about 8 months we all had a virus and she wasnt eating only drinking so this is actually what cracked the bottles for us, she was so thirsty she didnt care where the milk came from and because I was ill too this affected my supply I managed to carry on with the night feed for another month.

I was sad at first but she grew to love her bottle and get comfort from that and the cuddles we have when she gets it. (yes naughty I know at her age she still gets it in a bottle) she never asked for (.) after we stopped so I think the time was right for her.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jane, your experience is reassuring. xxxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts