Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Ladies
I wonder if anyone can help, I went for egg collection yesterday and from 4 follicles zero eggs were collected (devastated :( )
I have tried to book a follow-up appointment today with my DR to find out what happened, but I can't get an appointment till the 23rd.

Has this happened to anyone else and did you try again?

This is my first round of IVF, my AMH is 3.6 and I have high NK cells?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can you email the doctor? I know the lister provides emails if that's where you are? They may still wait to talk to you in the appointment but maybe they will tell you something over email in advance? So sorry to hear that by the way - must have been devastating. Big hug x

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
JT75,

I'm so sorry to hear this, big BIG  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ to you my sweet.

I've not experienced this but a friend of mine had the same problem after her two previous IVF cycles where eggs had been collected had failed. She had four follies at scans which looked fine but zero eggs at collection. Her AMH was only 0.01 and she was classed as 'unexplained fertility' from memory her consultant said it was one of those things but unusual to not get at least one egg from 4. She then decided to try IVF with Zita West and as she was ordering her medication realised she'd not got her period for a few days and did a test.. would you believe she was pregnant and now has a little girl and guess what at 43 she's only pregnant again naturally! Crazy that IVF never worked, then had zero eggs at collection only to have two naturally pregnancies afterwards.. I know it's not that simple for many and included as I'm facing cycle number 6.

I know it's of no comfort right now and you need to use the time waiting to see your Dr to get your head around things, but please have hope that this may of been a rogue month and it may never happen again.. I hope someone comes along soon who can give you more hope darling. Take car of yourself and give yourself some time to gather your thoughts. xx

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ladies, It came as a bit of a shock yesterday and just trying to get my head around it and work out if it's worth trying again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You poor thing  ^hugme^ It's a really devestating introduction to IVF.

I've had that happen to me so I know how upsetting it is. I was on a natural cycle at the time (so no stimulation). I actually had 2 follicles...but there was no egg. My Dr said it was a case of bad luck that month, as we get a bit older there is not always a guarantee of the follicle containing an egg each month.

I'm guessing you were on a stimulated cycle? I'm sure your Dr will give you some feedback whether they think you need less or more stimulation the next time. Sometimes if the dose is too high it can be counter-productive.

Most importantly - DO NOT GIVE UP! No two cycles are the same. Each cycle is a learning experience, so you can then try something slightly different the next time.

Hang in there until your Dr appointment...it is agony having to wait so long.  xx

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you ladies, I have picked myself up and ready to start again :) I guess I have to get used to this roller coaster ride.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I know this was a while ago now but just wanted to share some hope. I too had no eggs at ec on my first cycle ivf. They changed my protocol from long to short and on Mon I got 6 good eggs from 7 follicles. Unfortunately for us none fertilised but this was because the sperm failed to penetrate the egg wall (bothh eggs and sperm looked ok).

So there is hope.. I am hoping when we see our consultant tomorrow we can get going asap on our next cycle, this time using icsi  ^hugme^

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Spudlin
Thank you for your reply, hearing from others has really helped. Now looking forward to starting cycle number two :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Spulin. I know this was a while ago, but reading your post has given me a glimmer of hope. I have just had my first round at the Lister. I had no eggs in 6 folicals and 2 eggs which were empty of cells, so unusable (didn't know this could happen). I have my follow up at the Lister in 3 weeks - so far away! I am pleased to hear they changed your protocol and you got a different result. (I was on long the first time too). Is there anything you would advice, having home through it a second time. I am hoping you have had more success recently, fingers crossed very much for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Charley
A quick update from me is that my second cycle went much better with a change in my protocol, 6 follicles 3 eggs collected, 2 fertilized and were top quality when they went back in on day 3. Unfortunately I got a negative :( but on a positive I got two really good eggs :)

I know how disappointed you must feel right now but I am glad I picked myself up and tried again.

Big Hugs
x x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the hugs JT75. So sorry your second attempt didn't happen for you. Fertilised eggs is a big positive step though. I think I'm in shock a bit, no one warned me that I wouldn't get very far, they kind off set you up to think that getting to fertilised eggs is a sure thing. Just hoping the doc says it's possible for me to have good egg quality and we can try again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know how you feel right now, it really knocked me for six. I just felt so let down by my body, I had followed all the rules, been on a really strict diet for six months, taken a truck load of supplements and didn't even make it to transfer.

The first cycle I was on Fostimon only, they think that I had eggs there due to my estrogen levels, but they hadn't matured enough to break from the follicle wall (so were stuck). The second round I was on Fostimon and then Menopur.

I have a low AMH so I am never going to produce loads of eggs. Presently on cycle 3, not going so well. only 3 follicles and at the mo only one is growing. Back Monday to see what to do. I have done 3 back to back cycles so maybe my body just needs a break. I am finding that IVF is not for the faint hearted :)

I am sure they will have positives suggestions on how to move forward for you. Speaking to other ladies the first round is a big learning cycle and from that they can work out what to tweak for your second.

Try and stay positive (I know it's hard), I felt allot better once I had had my consultation and I had a plan to move forward.

x x x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for bring so comforting, especially as you are not feeling great about go three. My nurse told me a lovely story last week when my folicals weren't growing, I thought you might want to hear it. She had a lady the week before who only had two folicals, they found two eggs, they weren't that good quality, so they put them straight back in and now she is on her 6 week scan with twins. It's early but looking good. The nurses at the Lister Hospital seem more interested in quality. I know it's annoying when people say you only need one, but you must concentrate on that one growing this round. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup it's all about the quality, well it has to be for me :) Well I am back in on Wed, but looks like things are moving after 19 days of stimms, so fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi,

I know this was last commented on a while ago but wanted to say I also had a failed IVF cycle due to having no eggs in April. My case was even more baffling because my AMH is not low and I was a really good responder, I even developed mild OHSS due to having so many follicles. They have no idea why there were no eggs. I was in so much shock and only now coming round, I never expected it to happen.

I am starting again in June and I am really scared the same thing will happen. The only thing they are changing is when I take my trigger shot it will be a double dose administered by the nurse.

I'm glad that you got eggs the second time round JT75, that gives  me hope.

Good luck Charley I hope your 2nd go is more successful, I know how you feel xx

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Teeberry, looks like a useful thread to resurect. In my (NHS) cycle in January I had five eggs but four were immature and the other one didn't fertilise.

It's true that we never go into IVF thinking we might not get any eggs. But as for how to stop it happening again, I don't know. I figured on my NHS cycle I just wasn't monitored enough, and that it being NHS I was given a one size fits all treatment that I just wouldn't respond to. I also think I probably went to collection too early because they only do collection on Thursdays and Mondays at my local hospital. The clinic I'm with now monitors very closely so I'm hopeful that I will at least get to transfer this time, when I actually get to start.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Kazzzee,

Thanks for replying. My first cycle was at a private clinic so you would think each cycle would be more tailored to the individual. Well no, despite paying thousands the consultant has a one size fits all approach. He has been doing it for 25 years and does what he has always done. I wonder if EC was too early too, they also only ever do EC on Tuesdays and Weds. I just assumed that approx 36 hours after the trigger shot the eggs would have matured and been there! Especially as I had loads of follicles.

I wish we could afford to try another clinic but we can't so we have to just hope for the best!! When do you start again? I hope you get some eggs that fertilise hun so you too can get to ET xxxx

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Looking at your history there are you having any immune treatment Teeberry? Given your autoimmune diseases immune issues seem to be a given. Some people are given more trigger to help maturity I think, but also the levels of the LH and FHS you are being given during stimming will help maturity... You need to press for a different approach this time - and if they aren't treating your immunes you must insist that they do!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts