Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Not sure if I have this in the right place - would one of the mods kindly move it if you think it's in the wrong spot....

So, I've had 3 IUI (2 unmedicated, 1 medicated) and one IVF. On each and every one, my AF has started at least 2 and as much as 5 days (on the IVF) before the date I've been told to test. I'm at LWC in London and they seem to go with a 16 day rather than 2WW, but even so, I feel like I'm the only person to have this happen to me. Everyone else seems to get to test date - even if they then get BFN. And whilst it's saving me money in tests, I'd kind of like to get to the date at least once...

Anyone else consistently had AF start before test date? And any ideas what this means? I'm assuming this might indicate a problem somewhere - will be asking at my next consultation but in the meantime I wondered if any of the lovely ladies here could shed any light?

Many thanks,
Laura

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi hon,

I wonder if it is worth asking your clinic for extra "support" during the 2ww - I am on pessaries, patches, pills. injections and aspirin and know that AF wont arrive until I stop taking them - I personally feel that what will be will be regardless of what drugs I use but it may b worth asking them as they use all this stuff for a reason.

Good luck for your next cycle.

Kate

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
Hi Lauris,

It sounds like your progesterone may be too low to sustain your lining until test day.  If this is the case, it needs to be addressed with more progesterone as your chances of pregnancy will be decreased if you continue to bleed early as the womb lining breaks down which prevents successful implantation.

Some women do not absorb the pessaries very well.  Not sure which dose you are on, but personally I would ask the doctor if you could switch to something like Gestone which is an injectible progesterone.  It delivers very high levels of p4 which you may need.

It would also be a good idea to measure progesterone during your cycle, preferably one measurement 1 week after embryo transfer and one on beta day to see how your levels are and whether you need more.

It may be that all you need is to increase the pessaries.  However, I was on 4 x 400 cyclogest and this still was not enough for me and my levels were very low.  I added Gestone for my sucessful cycle.

I would discuss this with you doctor as you should not be bleeding so ealy on a cycle.

Best,

Daisy
x

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both

I've been on 2x400 Cyclogest for this cycle but will certainly bring this up with the consultant at the planning appt for my next cycle as it seems like I need to consider something additional....

Laura
x

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi Laura

Just to let you know you're most certainly not the only one this has happened to ^hugme^  If you have a search of the boards you'll find there are 100's of ladies out there who never make it to test day as they bleed early.

I've had 4 fresh IVFs and 2 natural FETs, all top grade embryos (inc blasts).  Our clinic require you to test at 14dpt, whether 2 or 3 day transfer...and even on 5 day blastocyst transfer although with our last fresh IVF recently, I was allowed to test at 11dp5dt (so 16 days past EC).......sadly I have never made it to any test day on a fresh cycle without spotting/bleeding......by test day I've usually had full flow red bleeding....spotting/bleeding has started between 8dpt and 10/11dpt.....with our last cycle I bled at 9/10dp5dt.

I've had varying combinations of several different progesterone support....tried 400mg x 2 cyclogest, crinone 8% (once a day, once a day with cyclogest, twice a day), 50mg gestone x once a day......nothing seems to have prevented the bleeding.

The only time I've made it to test day where on both natural FETs which resulted in chemical pregnancies.  First FET I had HCG trigger injection to exactly time ovulation (although I ovulate fine every month on cd14/15)....I then had my own natural progesterone from ovulation.....as well as crinone and/or cyclogest during 2ww (can't remember exactly as it was couple years ago) 2nd FET I didn't have the trigger injection but I did have 2 x HCG injections as support at 3dpt and 8dpt during 2ww as well as my own natural progesterone released from ovulation and crinone or cyclogest (again can't remember off top of my head, I'd have to go have a check in my diary).

With our last fresh IVF I had 50mg gestone and I certainly felt more secure with them, even though they're not pleasant (oil based and intramuscular in bum) and I did bleed early......but I'd definitely try them again but will be asking for 100mg next time round.

If you're bleeding before test day then it would seem that perhaps your progesterone support isn't sufficient so definitely worth raising with your consultant.

Anyway, please don't feel you're alone in this as sadly there really are 100's of women who are in same position as us and never make it to test day.

Take care
Natasha

·
Registered
133 Posts
ladies, thanks for this thread.
I'm having my 4th tx this week and in my previous 3 icsi have always had af 13/14 dpc.
I've just emailed my consultant about monitoring progesterone and the possibility of using Gestone. This is our last tx ( not by choice but because testicular biopsy can only be carried out so many times) and I really want to ensure we give ourselves the best possible chance.
Thanks for the info
Fiona

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for such a detailed reply Natasha - it's good to know I'm not the only one.

Will def be talking to consultant re 2WW support for next cycle - I asked the nurse about it and she just said it was quite normal and lots of women bleed before test day, but since I started 5 days before test day and only 9 days post ET, I do feel that maybe I need to consider a different tx plan. Although bit scared of the gestone as have heard it's v. painful (and I'm single so have no helpful DH/DP to do the injections for me...) but let's see what consultant recommends at next appt

thanks again
Laura
x

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
No Laura you're not alone I'm the same! :-[  Never got to test date yet always bleed early and like you it can be anything from 5 days from test date.

Next cycle I'm having gestone as well as everything else to try and help.

Axxxx

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Laura

Another one to join the club honey ^hugme^.

I haven't made it to test day yet ... in fact I usually know within about 5 days of basting that AF is on her way.  I did ask my clinic if there was anything I could do (as I'm on natural cycle IUI), and they just said no.  :(.

Lots of luck for your next appointment and tx.
XXXXX

1 - 9 of 9 Posts