Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have just got my 3rd BFN today. My test day is tomorrow but I am bleeding and have tested twice with Clearblue and it is another BFN. :'( I am heartbroken beyond belief but the only way I can stop myself from falling apart to to have a new plan!

At the moment we are deciding what to do next; adoption, donor eggs, donor sperm, etc... We do know that if we cycle again we need to change clinics but where is the question. ^idiot^

My highest FSH has been 8, but I am not a great responder. I have never produced more than 5 eggs, 3 on my last cycle of 375 menopur! My current clinic thinks that I need to look to donor eggs but my eggs have generally always been good quality. Grade 1 or 2 and two with the correct number of cells.

Has anyone changed to the Lister after previous failures and been successful? What did they do? If I went to the Lister any ideas of tests that they would carry out after 3 failures? I have their brochure but I need to price this up. It seem a lot more expensive than my last clinic!

I wont waffle any more but I'm trying to explore all paths so I can chose the new journey that will have a happy ending.  :-[

Milly xx

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi Milly

I'm so sorry to read about your BFN and how devastated you are  ^hugme^.  It is so difficult when you get a negative result and I agree that one of the ways to cope with it is to start planning the next step.  I do hope you will begin to feel a bit better in the next couple of weeks.

I had 2 cycles at the Lister last year (BFN BUT that is because I had such a poor ovarian reserve and we only got 1 embryo each time).

The Lister is pricey, no doubt about it, but they also get very good results, among the best in the UK and are excellent at dealing with poor responders.  It might be worth booking a consultation with them to see what they suggest.  I think a cycle cost us about 7/8k each time, including the drugs.  They might suggest increasing your dosage to 450 and doing a different protocol to what you are used to.  They might also suggest testing your AMH (Anti-Mullerian Hormone), which determines better your ovarian reserve.  The result of this (although your FSH is not really high) might help you to decide whether to move to egg donation but, to be honest, I think if you have produced up to 5 eggs at a time, it probably isn't time yet. 

I really hope you will begin to feel a bit better in the next couple of weeks.  It's such a horrible thing to have to go through.

Take care
Tottie xx

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tottie,

Thank you and congratulations of your pregnancy. You have certainly had a difficult journey with a very happy ending. I have booked a consultation in five weeks time. I think that will give me time to accept the outcome of this cycle and time to recharge my batterries.

Can I ask how often were you monitored during stims? Do you see different consultants?

I was tempted by the ARGC but price and the daily monitoring put me off. I think that I would have to stay in London and that would mean time off work and even more money!

Milly xx

·
Registered
130 Posts
Dear Milly,

I am so sorry by your news. It is just heart wrenching....after all the build up of physical and emotional energy. But I am like you. A plan of action will help you to deal with this sad news knowing there is another opportunity round the corner. I am no expert, but you are young, are still producing eggs which are of a good quality and a different clinic may just offer a different treatment plan that works better for you. My friend has had success at the Lister and is going again at the moment. She is using Synarel and Gonal-F. Stick in there. If you can afford the extra £££££, go for it. And all the very best of love and luck.

Charlie1 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ps-I had a good response first go, (menopur-10 eggs-BFN), then 6 eggs (menopur 3rd go) but that resulted in my little boy! then 6 eggs again (puregon-4th fresh attempt-bfn). Changed clinics and most recent cycle altho bfn had 13 eggs with menopur and an fsh of 12.7!!!! and i needed a fairly hefty dose of 450iu each time.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Charlie,

Firstly congratulations on having your little boy but I am so sorry to hear about your subsequent BFNs. This is one hard and long journey.  ^hugme^

When we more over the summer the Wessex will be our nearest clinic, but correct me if I am wrong, but I have a feeling that they don't carry out any further investigations etc, which unfortunately is what we need. I see that you are now at Woking. How is that?

You had a great response last time and I am sure they your little boy with have a sibling soon enough.  ^pray^

Today is the day that we have to tell our friends and family, so I have left my DF in charge. It is a horrid job.  :-\

Milly xx

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi again Milly

I'm sorry you have the horrible task of telling everyone today...I hope at least the sun lifts your spirits a little bit.  ^hugme^

I'm glad that you've booked a consultation - as you say, in a few weeks time you will hopefully feel stronger and I'm sure they will give you some good guidance as to what the next steps should be.

When I was at the Lister, they monitored me as follows:

1 downregging scan to check there were no follicles and then once I'd started injections, I had a scan on days 7,9,12,14 and EC on day 16.  It took me a while to be ready for egg collection because of my slow response.

I did see different consultants for our consultations and follow-ups, egg collection and embryo transfer and different nurses all the time. I do think it is preferable to see one specific consultant all the way through treatment and the fact that we didn't, did bother me a bit but that is the nature of the clinic - they are VERY busy.  I wouldn't say that this way detrimental in any way to the overall service we received from the clinic but if you are looking for a more personal course of treatment, it might not be the clinic for you. on the other hand, their results speak for themselves and they would give you an excellent chance of achieving your dream.

I wish you all the very best of luck.

Take care of yourself.
Love Tottie xx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts