Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning lovely Mummies!  ^wave^

I'm new to this bottle feeding lark and I have a question .....

I've been boiling the kettle and getting a few bottles ready so that I can just pop the formula powder in as and when it's required. I have a bog standard steam sterilizer and the booklet that came with it says that items will remain sterile for 6 hrs so does that mean that any bottles of boiled water not used within 6 hrs have to be thrown away, re-washed and re-sterilized? I thought I read somewhere on here that some of you get your bottles ready for a 24 hr period?  ???

What do you do?

Thank you & have a super-dooper sunny week end!  ^holiday^

B x :-*

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
B
It usally means that if you don't remove the bottles from the steriliser (and openit) they will remain sterile for up to 6 hours.

We always sterilised our bottle, filled them with cooled boiled water and stuck them in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Then we added the powder when we needed the feed. Our midwive said that what was what she did, even though the 'policy' and reccomenedation is that you sterise and make up a bottle immediately. Go with what your gut feeling is telling you :)

Deb

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Deb ^afro^

One more thing though ;) do you have to keep the water in the fridge? I've been leaving them out so they are quicker to warm ... I'm worried I've done the wrong thing now, I just assumed that boiled water in sterilized bottles wouldn't have any nasties in so no bugs would grow ???

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
For me, sterilising is about making sure the bottles and teats etc are 100% clean and all traces of milk have gone, therefore once they're clean they're clean until they're used again (although obviously I wouldn't leave them days and days in the first few months). I always sterilised the bottles, filled them with boiled water and then left them on the side until they were needed but threw any unused ones away after 24 hours and started again. I didn't warm them as I made that mistake with J and he still has warm milk now!! At night time I would take a bottle of water and an avent milk powder container thing to bed ready for the first morning feed, so I could just mix, feed and go back to sleep!

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fab, thanks Chux

xx

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
I too make my bottles up and leave them on the side for 24 hrs (used before then mostly  ;D but i do have 8 bottles  ;D )

I also dont warm L's bottles its so much easier when you are out and about.

The powder holders are great, i fill mine up and take to bed, as being half asleep if L does wake up i can just tip it straight into the bottle and shake.

And they dont take up much room in your changing bag. I have 2 incase mil has him a whole day and i need to take more feeds with me

Nikki xx

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Nikki  :)

Being completely new to bottle feeds I went into Boots the other day and asked if there were such things as 'pots' for measuring out the formula powder for when you're out and about  ??? . I remember saying 'there must be such a thing - I bet people don't buy cartons, it'd be too expensive'.

Any way the woman told me she didn't think there was anything like that but that it seemed a good idea  ^bigbad^ so I ended up buying some little meal pots instead :mad: so annoying. I guess I'll use the pots one day but you'd have thought she'd have known wouldn't you?

Now I'll have to go shopping again ........ oh bummer  ;) ;D
:-*

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
^bigbad^ silly sales assistant, i got both mine from boots ;D

they do an avent one
http://www.boots.com/guidedsearch/newsearch.jsp?searchArea=1&searchTerm=powder+dispenser&uri=%2Fonlineexperience%2Fflexible_template_2006.jsp&classificationId=1013392&contentId=&articleId=&N=0&Ntk=all&Nty=1

they also do there own branded one i think it was £3.49 so a bit cheaper than a fiver ;D I found mine by where they keep the teats etc, so would presume they would all be in the same section

I have to boots ones and one lid is really easy to turn and the other is quite stiff ;D
Nikki xx

/links

1 - 9 of 9 Posts