Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My DH and I are now looking into the adoption route.  He is ten years older than me and he will soon be 50.  Does anyone have any idea if this is considered too old, or do LAs and agencies take an average of the two partners ages?

Any thoughts anyone has would be so welcome.

Anon

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Anon,

Usually the LA will look at a couples age (both parties) in relation to the child that they could potentially be matched with. There are guidelines for this specifically in considering the child at an older age (ie when the child is twenty how old will the parents be) - check out the BAAF (British Agency for Adopting and Fostering) website. Alternatively you could call them or your LA and ask - most La's have a duty worker than can answer questions such as this. 

Hope that is helpful and good luck
M

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Hi Anon

Each LA (Local Authority) differs but some others have had dealings with stipulate that there should be a certain age gap between the child and the eldest partner (in this case it is 40 years).

As M said the BAAF site is a good source of reference or contact the LA you intend on going with so you know how they work it.

Good luck
Karen x

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi
an alternative is to look to international adoption as I have been lead to understand that a higher age is tolerated.  At one stage in China the government was not allowing adpption by couples/people who were less than 35 years old.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.