Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a history of PCOS though now have no evidence of cysts, a regular 28 day cycle and normal hormone levels. I have started taking Agnus Castus as I have read it boasts progestorone levels and can be very good for fertility. Does anyone have experience of using this herb. sometimes known as vitex?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I haven't used it myself as I take metformin - I don't like to mix without advice!  However a friend of mine with pcos took it and it worked well for her!  She also followed a low-carb diet and relaxed lots...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the feedback. I took metformin for 18 months, a combinations of that and weight loss helped restore my periods to a 28 day cycle for the first time in memory! They have remained that way for the last 2 years and my 3 day and 21 day hormone levels are normal. We are trying for a baby via donor insemination this autumn, I am taking the agnus castus as PCOS never trully goes away and I want us to have the best chance possible as it is so expensive. Good luck Xx

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello
I am taking Agnus Castus I have been taking it for a week now as I do not have regular periods due to PCOS. So will keep you updated to see if it works!
Good Luck
Love
Helen1
xxx

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Hiya eddie

welcome to fertility friends, i dont think we have spoken before tho its possible we might have !!  :-\

Anyway a friend of mine, too agnus cactus, she had slight pcos, and now has a healthy baby boy

I have some agnus cactus they say the liquid form is better but not sure why???

Hope this helps
best of luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the feedback am really greatful. I am relying on this site to keep me sane through the next few months! Helen1 Ive been on agnus castus for 2 weeks now. Are you getting hot flushes with it or is that only me?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Hi

I took Agnus Castus before my clomid and it brought some regularuty back into my cycles, something I never had. They were never 28 days but they definatley had a pattern to them.

Goodluck
Love sarah x x

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello Eddie

I have had a few hot flushes too! It must be working then? Are you taking the capsule form or the liquid? I am taking the capsules, 2 a day. I got them from Holland and Barretts

Maybe I will try the liquid form when these have run out if that is supposed to be better?

H xxxxxx

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the response Helen, it makes me feel much better to know Im not alone, I am also taking the capsule form from holland and Barrett but Im not taking the full recommended dose on the bottle as I think 8oomg morning and evening might just be a tad excessive! I took my 21 day progesterone yesterday so I will post on here and let you know how I get on. The hot flushes make me suspect that it must be doing something!!

Good Luck
Eddie X

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello everyone!

I thought I would let you all know that having taken the advice from the PCOS and your Fertilty book by Collette Harris and Theresa Cheung and taking Fertility plus for Women supplements from Dr Marilyn Glenville and the herb Angus Castus I have had my first natural AF EVER after just 4 weeks! Hooray!

Love
Helen1
xxxxxxx  ;D

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi all,

I was told by a naturopath to take the liquid form of agnus each morning before I even sat up in bed. Fortunately I have a wonderful husband who would dutifully bring in each morning my required amount mixed with a little water, that I would drink still flat on my back on an empty stomach. This was a little challenging but I found sucking it through a straw much easier. It has an awfully bad taste but produces excellent results for regulating periods.

hope this helps

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks Thirteen
I agree with you. It's worth the nasty taste just to regulate periods! I am currently on CD16 so hopefully if AF doesn't arrive it means I am PG!
xxxx

G

·
hi all

I was taking agnus castus for 4 months up until my cons put me on metformin in september 04.  The agnus castus did nothing for my moods my cycle or my spots :(.

I was wondering if it would help me now if I took it along side the metformin?

Just thinking about it  ???.

Love Charlotte

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
CHAZZ THERE ARE BIG WARNINGS ABOUT THIS...

It details on the complimentary thread and in many books that you must not take angus castus whilst on prescribed medication as it can render the prescribed medication useless.

G

·
Thanks sicknote

I had no idea.  I was just looking on there and I put the same post on there.

Thanks for advice  :-*

Love Charlotte

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

I'm new on here so am probably putting this in the wrong place. I suffer from PCOS but luckily managed to have my son naturally we have been trying for number 2 since last August but I haven't seen AF since March 12th. I have starting taking Agnus Castus whilst waiting for my clinic appoinment to come through. does anyone know if Agnus Castus will hurry AF along and if so haw long might it take. I'm 25 and have always only had 2/3 cycles a year since they stared when I was 12.

thanks for reading

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Hi Vicki,

Welcome to FF. Agnus castus can help ladies regulate thier cycles but everyne is different so try not to get to disheartned if it doesnt do what you want.

Do you have any other treatments planned? as there are drugs that can be prescibed to induce bleeds.

Good luck on your Journey

Nikki xx

·
Registered
366 Posts
Agnus Castus is not a quick solution because it can take a few months for it to start working. Unfortunately it is about the strongest herbal stuff you can get. My consultant told me not to take it with Metformin. Good luck with ttc no. 2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Both,

I'm waiting for an appointment so I don't know what treatment I'll be offered yet. To be honest I'm not sure that I really want any because as silly as it seems I don't want to feel like In love my son more because he was a natural conception or that I'd love another more because he/she was hard work to get.

I know Agnus Castus is slow acting I just wondered if anyone had any experience of it - I'm not expecting miracles but I want to feel like I gave nature the best chance I could. I know I can not only get pregnant but carry to term so I'm not that worried.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Have you been prescribed Metformin? A few ladies in the last few months have had BFP's on met alone. Also if everything is ok on your DP/DH side you may be offered clomid which will boost ovulation. They should do a cd21 blood test to see if your ovulating, if not this may be offered.

There are a few ladies who have tried agnus castus, try doing a site search and see what it throws up

Nikki xx

1 - 20 of 25 Posts