Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I start sniffing the drugs today. I don't know if I am in the correct section?

I have been posted them, and am not sure what to do. To be honest, I am nervous, I am sure we all are, it is my first time. I am 38, husband has a very low sperm count, with poor motility etc.

What should I expect when I sniff the synarel, are there side effects etc? I have not heard from Dundee Ninewells where I am going, but do have the boxes of synarel.

All the best to you all, I wish you lots of luck

Caroline.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi Caroline,

Welcome to the roller coaster! Best of luck with your treatment, the synarel may give you side effects - not everyone has them....headaches and bad moods being the most likely!!!!!

Most of us post in the section above - please join us and then you can be added to the list!

Have you rung your clinic to let them know you have started? They may not know you have?

Good luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi I am new to the boards also. I started sniffing on 13th July. Not sure what to expect. I keep thinking I am doing it wrong because I haven't had any of the side effects (well maybe a few headaches but I have put that down to work). Some input would be greatly appreciated.

Good Luck Kathy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Katie, welcome. Yes I have been a bit concerned that when I sniff, some of the liquid drips back out immediately.Plus when I put my head back, some runs down my throat. I have a squint septum and one "hole" at the top of my nostril is much smaller than the other side.

I am getting side effects too. Sleeping more and more deeply than normal. Last night my muscles ached, (flu like), not headaches or moody, more physical things.

I have cut out alcohol altogether, although I was told that I am allowed five units per week.

Good luck from Caroline. ps I started sniffing on Monday , so am on day four.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Caroline ;D ;D

Thanks for your message this morning. It's nice to know I'm not alone on this ICSI cycle for the first time! You are very similar in age to me and my DH and we do not have children either. Am sending you a big hug ^Cuddle^ and wish you all the best of luck for this cycle. It will be great to be able to compare notes!

Talking of which, it's funny you should say that you are really tired and feel achy - I feel exactly the same ^doh^ This is obviously a symptom of the drugs :( :(. I'm jabbing though (am getting the bruises to prove it! :-X). I'm sure it will be worth it in the end though.

Anyway, please stay in touch and let me know how you are progressing - I'm just waiting for the next set of symptoms like mood swings! ^confused^

Best of luck,

Minty ^fairydust^

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi Caroline/Minty

I am just like you - everytime I sniff it seems to run down my nose straight away and when I hold my headback it runs down my throat. I start injections on Saturday which I don't think is too bad. I had four courses of SIUI this year so I am used to the injections. Its the egg retrieval I am dredding. Any ideas on how its supposed to feel?

Good Luck

Kathy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Kathy ;D ;D

I'm not looking forward to the egg retrieval either! :-X Just hope all goes well to get to that stage! Am sending lots of positives to wish us luck! ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Mine is being done under general anesthetic (phew! Don't fancy being awake during that! ^twitch^ ). I've been told/read that you feel sore afterwards, like bad period pains and that it is best to take it easy for a day or so. Sorry it's not much comfort, but it's definitely going to be worth it! ^thumbsup^

Doesn't the time drag?!! I've only been jabbing since Sunday and it feels like forever! ^confused^ I haven't got my first scan until 18th August ^doh^

Anyway, wishing you all the best of luck and please stay in touch.

Cheers ^drunk^

Minty ^cuddleup^

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know Katy, but me too the EC sounds ominous.
I also know that my hospital anaesthetist is part-time so I am dreading my appt being on a day they are not in.

Some days they give oral drugs and you are awake.

Best of luck to you all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got my schedule two weeks ago - and if everything goes according to plan, they have me down for ec on the 12th August. I asked about the procedure and was told that I would be awake but they would give me a morphine based pain killer throughout. The nurse said it kicks in quite quickly but doesn't last long and that I should ask for it to be topped up if I feel any pain. (Which is why I am so nervous about it).

Are you taking time of work after the ec. I haven't told my boss that I am having IVF as he is not the most considerate person. The nurse said that you usually feel worse the next day.

Kathy

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi Kathy
Lovely to have you with us, I hope that your treatment works successfully for you, jjoin us on the summer rainbows thread below, the FF rainbow has brought so many babies this year so far!
Chick

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Kathy and every one else
I am new to this board aswell but sadly not to IVF.
I am on my 5th go and started sniffing on the 13th July the same as you Kathy, your other dates seem to be different to mine though I don't start my injections until this Thursday 5th and my week of egg collection is monday 16th, but I am not finishing work until the Wed so I hope it doesn't happen until at least the thursday, going from past experiance it wont so I am not too worried about that. you seem to be very worried about the egg collection, try not to worry its not that bad It is a bit uncomfortable but you should be quite out of it anyway, I do advise you to take at least a few days off work, I am taking 2 weeks off this time, you may not feel to good the next day.
I have told no one I am doing IFV this time so finding this site is going to be so helpful to me to be able to talk to others who understand how I feel.
I am hoping this is the one thats going to work for me!!!! having said that the 4th one was successful but turned out to be ectopic.
Good luck everyone
Saff

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi Saff

I am really keeping my fingers crossed for you this time - you seem to have been through so much.

I wonder why our dates are so different when we started sniffing on the same day.

Are you having any of the side effects from sniffing?

Kathy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Kathy
Not really I have had a few hots flushes but the only thing I have noticed is I am forever snizzing, and I'm abit moody if I'm honest.

Have you had any?

I cant wait to stop sniffing I dont like it much and it makes my nose a bit sore somtimes.

Where are you having your treatment done? I'm at the JR in Oxford

Saff

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi Saff

I have had a few hot flushes also. I'm also a bit moody but my hubby says he's used to that. Anyway, I am having my treatment at Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast.

Have you to go for any chackups or anything. When I was having SIUI I had to go twice a week for a scan and blood test. I haven't had to go once with IVF.

They gave me a schedule saying started sniffing on 13th, start injections on 31st and then go on 10th August for scan and EC on 12th August.

I just hope everything is going okay.

Kathy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Kathy
I have my first blood test tomorrow to see if I am ready to start injecting on Thursday and if everything is going ok I go for my first scan on the 13th with ec the following week, the end of I hope!!!!

I wonder why they do it different at different hospitals.
What drugs are you taking? I am sniffing synarel and will be injecting puregon at 350 i.u. which is the highest dose I have had to take yet, mind you I have not taken puregon before so maybe thats why.

Saff

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi

I was told just to phone the hospital if my period did not come whilst I started sniffing. If it did they told me just to go ahead and start injections. My injection is 600 and I take a dose of 200 (for 1st three days).

I am starting to panic incase I was supposed to have blood test. I think I might call the nurse and ask.

Kathy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All

I am new to this. Started sniffing on 15th July and started injecting on 29th July. Was great to start but since I started on the injections I have not been sleeping. Keep waking up with palpitations. Consultant said this was a side effect of the spray. Having my first scan on weds 4th Aug.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi

Kathy - Dont worry they know what they are doing!!
It seems to me all hospitals do it differently, look at the post from LizAB she started sniffing after us and she is injecting already and going for her first scan before I will have even started injecting, seems to me my treatment is taking longer than everyone elses.
If your really worried about it mention it to them I'm sure they will reasure you, let me know how you get on ok.

Hi LizAB
Sniffing does have its side effects so I wouldn't worry, I have always been lucky in only have a few minor ones.
good luck with your treatment.

Saff

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Has anyone else been told they will be given maximum drug dose of 450. I am concerned , I am 38, but my hormone levels were 6.1. At the time the consultant didn't have my hormone levels too hand. I will quickly post this before I lose my connection.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also if they get the dose too high. what can the consequences by....... is that when you hyperstimulate or is that caused by somethine else. Sorry so many questions.

Thanksx

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.