Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really need a little help with formula feeding!

Luke has been fed on demand until Wednesday and had been feeding completely irregularly and different amounts from 0.5oz to 3 oz in one go along with breast feeds - I am not sure how much he was taking over all.  Well on Wednesday the HV said to try and get his feeds 3 hourly so that I get a better rest through the night.  She said to distract him, use a dummy (which I hate buut have been using out of desperation  ^eyes^) , give him small amounts of cooled boiled water etc to try and get him to go as long as possible.  However he always seems to be starving.  Even after feeding him 3oz feeds which he now almost always finishes his wee mouth is going and he eats his fists, I think he looks hungry still. But he is actually taking more than he should be based on his weight - he should be taking a maximum of about 19oz but he is taking about 21 - 24oz.  And he is taking the extra breast feeds although I am very dubious as to how much he actually takes.  The ting is he is really not settling any longer through the nights and I had him up demanding more food just an hour after feeding last night.  I don't want to give him more and causing him to gain too much weight but at the same time I don't want my little boy to be hungry.  Then I wonder, am I reading the signs wrong?  Maybe he is not hungry but if not then I just don't know what it is.  I eventually got him settled last night on me with a dummy ( ^eyes^) He had been changed, I tried to wind him but he doesn't really like parting with his wind and I think this could possibly be part of the problem, I cuddled him, rocked him, patted him, cried along with him...you name it I tried it but only the dummy worked - and almost instantly in the end.  My main worries is either over feeding him or not meeting his needs if he is starving.  Any words of advice would be so very very welcome! 

Would the dummy really satisfy him and sooth him to sleep if he was really hungry?  I am feeling very inadequate and just don't have a clue how to meet my babies needs - I can't even work out what his needs are.  I don't want to just stick a bottle or dummy in his mouth if thats not what he is needing  :(  My poor DH had us both in tears at 4:30 this morning, at least I just have one crying person to care for  ::)

Thanks!

Matty xxx

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
I have replied to you huni on the parent thread

You arent useless sweetie  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

x x x

G

·
Hi Matty,
Our two have always had more formula scoops than their weight suggests.  At 3 weeks old, they were on 6 lots of 3 oz and pretty quickly got moved onto 4 oz feeds as they were getting very crabby upto 45 mins before a feed (done 4 hourly).  I was worried about over-feeding them so we went to the HV clinic who weighed them and said they were perfectly ok and that at this stage, a baby cannot be overfed.  The guide on the box is just a guide.  Right now, Daniel is 12lb and therefore 'should' be on 12 * 2.5 which is 30oz per day however he's actually on 35 oz per day. Rachel is 12lb 6 and on the same amount but she struggles to take it whereas Daniel knocks it back generally. 
Are you able to express so you can see how much he's taking when bottled?
We use a dummy to calm them down a bit before a feed but again it only really works with one of them!

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Hi Matty,

Firstly, hugs to you. ^hugme^ ^hugme^

Secondly, there is no way I'd give water at this age - if your baby is hungry then feed him! His tummy is the size of a walnut so can't hold much at all, and to expect him to go three hourly at 3 weeks could well be too much for him. Remember, he's been used to having a constant supply of food for the 9 months he was inside you and it can take time for him to adjust to something different. He is doing an awful lot of growing and needs milk and all the nutrients to do this.

If he is draining a bottle then add an extra oz - it's far better for him to leave a bit but know he's full than him to drain it and you wonder if he wants more. You won't overfeed him - he'll either refuse to take more or posset a bit back up.

As to not being able to read the signs, please don't be too hard on yourself, it WILL come in time. I remember my HV saying to me "I'm sure you recognise the different cries by now" but I didn't have a clue - left me feeling pretty naff but it did come in time!

Babies cry for a reason be it wind, nappy, hunger, tired, so it really is a process of elimination. If you think it's hunger then stuff the clock, feed him - he'll fall into a good pattern eventually.

Chux xx

G

·
Oh yes, he'll certainly posset it back all right if he didn't want it all! With ours, a hungry cry is more of a loud wailing monotone and not very high pitched.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Hi Matty,

^hugme^ He is still very young and 3 hrs can be a long time for a lo between feeds. I know with L I was desperate for him to feed every 4 hrs as thats what everyones elselo's seemed to be doing, and i struggled to get him to feed every 2 hrs  ::).

All babies are different and L has always been a very hungry baby, so i wouls just follow Luke's lead, and if he wants feeding after 2 hrs leave him like that for a while, then push him anohter 15 mins.

I would suggest putting in an extra oz as like chux says if he leaves some then you will know he's had enough, if he is draining the bottle, you will be unsure wether he has had all he needs.

^hugme^

Nikki xx

·
Registered
741 Posts
My advice is just get through the first 6 - 8 weeks any way you can - demand feeding is fine, I think
Don't even try and get a routine at this point. 
I am a BIG fan of routine and boys are set in a great routine now but don't try to do anything until they are at least 6 weeks (my personal opinion)
I sent myself mad trying to get them in a gina ford routine too early and it nearly sent me mad !!!
My real advice is just give your little one what he wants when he wants it and rest/sleep when he does - you can worry about anything else in a few weeks
Jobi xx

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi

Thanks so much for your replies!  Its great to get real advice from mummies  :)

Chux - I feel exactly the same about the water and never gave him any. 

I have gone back to demand feeding which yesterday generally meant 1.5 - 2oz (offering him 3oz) every 2 hoursish, he was far less sick which I feel is down to the fact he is not frantically guzzling more than he needs as he is not absolutely starving.  I'v also stopped worrying about the amounts of formula he is taking in a day thanks Glitter!

I am feeling a lot more sane today, helped by the fact that he was so much more settled yesterday and much happier.  I did say to my HV that the 3 hourly feeds weren't working so we weren't doing them any more.  Even before we started discussing his feeds she weighed him, found he had put on another 7oz and promptly said I am whatever I am doing, I'm obviously getting it right  :) which made me feel soooooo much better.

Oh and we also didn't need the dummy yesterday either which I am pleased about as I love being able to see his wee face and not have it hidden  :) :) :) :)

I will concentrate on just getting through the next few weeks before worrying about trying to find a routine.

Thanks again!
Matty xxx

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Matty ~ glad your feeling better about it all, sometimes we wish there was a manual that would tell us how to do things  ;D you might find in a few weeks Luke will find his own routine, but try not to worry, things should fall into place  :)

Nikki xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Matty - So pleased to read you are feeling better and following your instincts. I am sure your ds will fall into his own routine eventually.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
Matty,

If it's any consolation, C was exactly the same but he was draining 5oz at a time!! C was putting on 1lb a week but I stuck with demand feeding as that seemed to suit us all. Even though he was very erratic during the day, he quickly settled into going 3/4hrs between feeds over night. Charlie found his own routine and I just sort of tweaked it to fit in with other stuff going on. He's now a very adaptable little boy who will (generally) wait for his meals til I give him them.

Hope this helps huni!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts