Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope my story gives you all hope. I'm almost 41 but incredibly I got a natural BFP after four years of trying and after six failed attempts at fertility treatment. I still can't believe it and, even though I'm 13 weeks pregnant, am still a bit worried but really praying that it all goes well.

I thought this might give some hope to all you ladies over 40 out there and encourage you not to give up. Whether you get a BFP through fertility treatment or naturally, I hope you all get what you want. When I went for a scan yesterday, the doctor said he had one couple who tried for 10 years, went through loads of fertility treatment, adopted, and then conceived naturally. I know not everyone will be as lucky as me, but it shows there's always hope and you never know what might happen if you keep trying and hoping.

I've had a nuchal translucency which came back normal and I'm now waiting for the results of blood tests. Just wondering if there are any other over-40s out there who are pregnant and decided to go for, or not go for, an amniocentesis? I'm in two minds about whether to go ahead - as I'm almost 41 doctors may recommend it but I don't want to do anything that will risk m/c, however small. Has anyone got any advice?

thanks a lot,
Oliv  xx

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
First of all , congratulations! this is wonderful news! I wish you the best 8MW!
It is difficult to decide to have the test or not . I think you only can make that decision, but what do the docs say?
I guess if you decide against the test you have to think are you prepared for any possibility? However the risk seems to be low, even very low as the tests so far came back normal. The nuchal tests are not 100% reliable, but they often give a good indication.

I am 41 too so this gives me hope that there is still a chance I can be pregnant one day.  :) ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Future Mummy

·
Registered
577 Posts
Oliv

Many many congratulations how wonderful to hear this story!

i have been having icsi for 4 years and am turning 40 next month, my af has just started naturally again after 7 years and im kind of hoping that it will happen naturally for me too now, am still worried cos i had 2m/c last year but you give hope!!!
Mani

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Hiya Oliv xx you hear so much negativaty!! and how wonderful to hear your fantastic story I am soooooo pleased for you  ;D ;D I  wish you a wonderful pregnancy and enjoy every moment take care xxx
Hayleigh xxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
175 Posts
H Oliv

Congratulations  :)  Really pleased for you.
I got my bfp when I was 38 and 9 months ish :)  now 41 and 10 months and going thru FET at the moment. I personally would not/will not have an amnio - I did not even have a nuchal last time.
I think they take into account your age when working out probabilities. If your nuchal is ok then, as you say, why risk it? What does your parter think?
Good luck with your pregnancy.
^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^
Maddie.

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
Congratulations on your pregnancy, hope you have a happy and healthy rest of your pregnancy :) :)

Love Jo
x x x

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for your good wishes for my pregnancy. I really hope you all get what you wish for. The doctor rang with blood tests today, taken along with the nuchal, and he says the risk of Down's is extremely low so I probably won't have an amnio.

Good luck to you all,

Oliv  xx

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
That's wonderful news Oliv, now you can relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

Wishing you a very happy and healthy 6 months.  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Love,

CG xxxx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Oliv,
your story is inspiring and thanks for the much needed encouragement. I hope all is going well for you. Can I ask whether you were being super healthy when you became pregnant?

My self-discipline has been on the wane of late .... sometimes I think it's more important to enjoy life / chocolate etc in the hope that by being relaxed, chances of conception increase. But of course it's not that simple and anxiety about bad habits creeps in! Am 41 now, but still haven't given up hope of a natural pregnancy.
thanks
Shelli

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Wow!  What a great story - well done!!

Wishing you all the very best for a very happy and healthy pregnancy.

Love Jess xxx

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi Oliv and everyone else

I am 43, have had 3 fresh and 1 frozen cycle in the last 2 years, all -ve except one which implanted but didn't grow and had to have a medical m/c.    I had a shocking BFP in Jan this year, but it was already failing at the 6 week scan, although we subsequently saw the heartbeat 3 times, m/c at 8 weeks.

On 29 June 2008 I tested for the result of our final ever treatment cycle - -ve.    Last Sunday period was due, tested and a shocking BFP.  You can imagine I can't tell where my head is at the moment.    I eventually persuarded Dr to do a blood test Monday morning for HCG levels (it was torture getting them to agree, they were most unsympathetic and most grudging) however she felt the results were low and took more blood yesterday to see if hcg levels are doubling or not.  I will get the results this afternoon.

It was so lovely to see your good news Oliv, I also wonder about all the tests for Downs (if we get that far), I think if nuchal and/or bloods were good, and none of them poor, I would not go for the amniocentesis.  The risk seems too great.

My best friends got pg last year after 9 years of trying, at nearly 40 they had looked up average tables and reckoned their risk for Downs was 1 in 72.  They had NHS bloods done, and were 'called in' to the hospital to discuss the results.  Of course they expected the worst; I can't imagine the look on the doctor's face when, having told them their risk was 1 in 80, they were absolutely delighted!!

Their healthy baby boy was born just under a fortnight ago.

Good luck for the rest of your pregnancy!
Love Maggie xxx

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi girls,

I don't know what made me logon tonight...havent been here for a while.
When I was 41/42 I got pregnant (the first time I'd tried...). At the 12 week scan - it didnt look good (fatal!), and had to terminate. Then miscarried, then didnt get pregnant for 1 year, tried many IUI/IVF cycles, some success, miscarried, went on holiday, got pregnant naturally (when I was 45!!!!)

I now have a 1 year old baby girl, she's lovely!

Have hope, chill out and it just might happen for you too. But if it doesnt, dont despair, live every day.

Jags

·
Registered
279 Posts
Jags

That is an inspiration!  But you are so right about living every day, regardless.  I was just coming to terms with our final treatment failing last month - the best way I could do that was by thinking, "It's probably not going to happen now, but you never know, maybe in 5 years when I'm 48 I'll go for more treatment (when no doubt technology will have moved further on) - but so much can happen in even a few months, who knows where I will be, what I'll be like, what I'll be wanting in 5 years.  And now pg!

Thanks for posting!
Love Maggie xxx

·
Registered
817 Posts
so happy to read these stories. and yes Maggie youa re so right, this field is developing fast in 5 years, there WILL be advances. good luck for the HCG number this pm. xxx

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi Anna

The Hcg results came back yesterday and is fine!  Still of course very early (only 4 weeks 5 days) but hey, a better start than one of my previous pgs!

Love Maggie xxx

·
Registered
678 Posts
Wonderful news to both Maggie and to Oliv.  See we're never too old!!!  xxx

1 - 18 of 18 Posts