Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - can you tell me the maximum amount of folic acid you can take - is it like vitamin C and the body just gets rid of any excess?

I'm taking a pure folic acid pill daily (prescribed by my doctor as part of the IVF), but I wanted to take pregnacare as well which also contains folic acid and i wondered if this would be too much

thanks

Roz

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Hi rosy,

My midwife told me to only take the recommended 400, as thats all the body can absorb. I stopped taking my usual ones to carry on with the pregnacare. I wondered if i should double up on the amount as im expecting twins but apparently not.

Not sure if my midwife is right, but hope this helps,

L xx

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
People with diabetes or with a known risk for spina bifida, have to have 5mg/day. It's interesting Tequila that your midwife said the body can't absorb more than 400g. Hopefully there wouldn't be a recommendation by the gov for such higher amounts for those at risk eh? Can anyone clarify this?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for the responses - if the body can't absorb more that 400g a day, then I presume it's okay to take a higher dose, as the body will just get rid of it?

if anyone who can tell me more I would appreciate it

kind regards

Rosy

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi girls,

I have a mutation of a gene and need 5mg a day. It's the MTHFR gene and I had very low folate levels detected on a NHS blood test even with normal prenatal vitamins. The prescription was from a Consultant Neurologist in the NHS.

There are several different MTHFR mutations so far discovered and debate over what they do and how they differ. I've seen several internet and newspaper reports that get it all hopelessly wrong as well....

If you have a history of neural tube defects in your family (like Spina Bifida) then you may need higher folate levels than 400u.

http://www.pharmj.com/Editorial/19991023/articles/folicacid.html

With warmest regards,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts