Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we're off to mexico in 4wks time yipeee!!!!! sounded like a great idea at the time, lots of family going to help with j.

but absolutely dreading the 10hr flight, how will we keep j amused? another problem is as he is under 2 we didn't have to pay for him but that means he doesn't get his own seat + its a day flight so he will b unlikely to sleep. god what where we thinking ^idiot^

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
mmm what were you thinking? :p

Just back from 4.5 hr flight with 21 month old so heres how I entertained mine.

We took books, crayons/colour books cuddly toys. What about one of these http://www.elc.co.uk/toy-42037

Theres lots to investigate on the plane. Looking out the window, walking up the ailse, investigate the toilet, speaking to other children (or just stare as they do at their age :) ) Mine played with the seat belt for ages and the radio buttons on the arm rest. Theres the flight meals always coming round with a long flight (remember to take snacks though plane snacks are not very toddler friendly). Looking at the pictures on the safety card/ pictures in the inflight magazine. If you have family its even easier, Im sure they will take a turn and theres always hide and seek of the back of the chair.

You could be cheeky like me and ask if the flights not full any chance they could put you next to an empty seat for your LO and sometimes the air hostesses can rearrange a bit too - no harm in asking.

We had a day flight on the way back and mine slept for 2 hrs which is at least an hour longer than normal - not sure if yours is like mine in the car always sends her to sleep so might be like that.

Hope you have lovely time. Remember to pack warm clothes for the flight and light clothes to change at the airport.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hi we have just got back from Cyprus, Kieran spent ages throwing and looking at the magazine and safety instructions that they have on the planes.  We spent some time walking in the aisle and he did get sleepy like in the car and had a sleep on me for a while going out and return and they were both day flights.

I bought one of those cheap Tesco pad things with a pen and stampers that they draw on and then you slide the bit along the bottom and it wipes the picture away, this kept him amused for a while as well as some books.

Good luck

Shazznewman

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
I've just bought Ethan a book from crayola - called Colour wonder http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crayola-Colour-Wonder-Colouring-Markers/dp/B000ET454Y - it only colours on the special book with it, not anything else (for example, not your clothes, his clothes, or the person next to you's clothes ;D ) - also planning on taking some raisins in a little box - always keep him quiet for a while! - some organix goodies crisps, and some books and little toys that he's not seen for a while (I'm going to buy some dinosaurs from ELC and keep them from him until then) - as well as his iggle piggle. I'm keeping all of these from him until we're on the plane, so they're all interesting and new - for a few minutes, at least!

Marie xxx

/links

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Sandi we had to book a seat for Matthew as he was 2yrs and a month when we flew to S Africa with him - but it didn't mean he spent any time in it!!  ::)  He spent practically the entire trip on his dad's lap - he was overjoyed with this of course  ;D
We had a night flight booked but it was delayed and became a day flight  :mad: so he spent a total of 45 minutes asleep out of 11 hours!!   

I bought him lots of little sticker books and colouring books that come with crayons - M&S have a good range of cheap ones
Also some new story books and a couple of dinky toy cars.  At intervals when I thought he was going to have a paddy I just whipped out a new book or toy and that more or less worked.

We also went for lots of walks down the aisles and went for a chat with the stewardesses up the back of the plane, he was fascinated with the little round window in the emergency exit door and we checked out the clouds and he spotted a lone star - ahhhh.  Then he would walk back along the aisle looking for our seat going "that's not my daddy, that's not my daddy, that's not my daddy - THAT's my daddy!"  ;D ;D ;D

And yes, tons of snacks - I took little brioche rolls which he loves, plus the usual organix crisps, raisins, biscuits etc.

This isn't to amuse them but don't forget to take several changes of clothes as with all the waiting around to check in, get on the plane etc we had one soaked nappy leak before we even got on the plane, then on the plane be prepared for accidents and possibly sick - so also take a spare top for you just in case!

Claire x

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I totally agree with the other ladies....loads and loads of unfamiliar toys and snacks.

We flew to Australia when DS was 10 and DD was 20 months. (therefore too young to have her own seat) We travelled round Oz then moved onto Indonesia. We had a whopping ten flights in all within a month!!!!^idiot^ ^idiot^ ^idiot^

At the time of booking it seemed a great idea but as the trip grew nearer I tried thinking of loads of excuses as to how I could get DH to cancel the trip. However DH was determined to go! ^bigbad^

HOWEVER.....it was FANTASTIC and actually, dare I say it, quite a breeze!

We went with a totally open mind. We agreed not to expect to eat, read the duty free book (!) or in fact come off the plane looking remotely clean ourselves :) We wore clothes that didnt matter if she spilled things on, ie not new 'holiday clothes'.
We ate in the airport prior to flying so that we weren't starving hungry onboard.

DD was amused by walking around, talking to the stewards who were in fact great with her, eating lots of snacks and playing with the seatbelt!! And yep, all those things kept her amused for a full 23 hours (and she only slept for a total of 5 hours in all!!!)!!!!!

One thing I would totally recommend is seeing if you can get one of those sky cots. (Only available on long haul flights) That was our absolute saving grace. Even though DD was 20 months, as she is quite petite, she was still within the weight limit.(26lbs) By having one of these you automatically get extra leg room. Although she was hardly in the cot (which was a bit hairy as she could climb out easily) It meant that not only did we have the extra leg room in which she could sit and play, but we had somewhere to put all our bits and bobs, like trays and empties that we didnt particularly want her to grab ;)
You can book one of these (and its best to pre book) by phoning your airline asap and pleading your case. As for the weight limit, im not sure how big your LO is but a little white lie wouldnt go a miss Im sure IYKWIM!!!!!

Take care and good luck

Mae.x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts