Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to give blood yesterday and they they test for amenia 1st.

I found out i have anemia. he told me to change my diet but i already eat foods high in iron as im a veggie PLUS i have been taking prenatal vits which contain 15mg on iron

So before i ring my doc can anemia affect ivf outcomes? i cant anything on the net

p.s my levels were not really low just lower than they should be

thanks

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
probably isn't ideal because logically it could reduce oxygen to the reproductive organs

there are different types of anaemia though - iron is not the only issue - for veggies lack of B12 can cause anaemia - (and also reduces fertility - including affecting egg quality)- you may want to see if your gp can tell you more about what sort of anaemia it is - and/or add a b complex supplement to your pregnancy vits for extra b12, b6 and folate.  also taking any iron supplements with oj can help absorption - sometimes intake can be adequate but most of it passes straight through you if your gut absorption is poor

if you do need more iron a traditional liquid supplement called floradix (veggie)is more absorbable than iron pills

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi Needjustone,

I just had a full blood count done as part of immune testing and was told , like you, that i am a bit anaemic, which i am not surprised about. i used to be anaemic for the 15years i was veggie. i think Agate is right as i always found it was B12 i really needed, not just the iron. these days i eat some meat but am anemic in the winter.

i am taking floradix again now. its nice actually. just remember to take it half an hour before breakfast and dinner so that maximum absorption can occur. i asked doc if floradix would be enough to sort out mild anemia and they said yes.

x

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks ladies

i have made an appt to see doc on tues.
I ahd FBC doen a few months ago and it was normal. Also my mum has to take Vit B 12 injections as she has poor absorbtion and i had to get checked too. My levels came back as normal

So i take it these can fluctuate then?  Ill get the floradix - can i have it alongside my normal prenatal vits

can you overdose on B12 or iron?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.