Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I need 2 rant. I got a BFN yesterday as u all probably know  :'( :'(  I've cried all the tears I can and now I'm angry!! Angry that I'm only getting 1 shot on NHS, and that some people, infact most people, at the same clinic are getting 2 or 3 go's.  Why? Why? Why?

Why should we be discriminated against just beacause our postcode? It's soooooo unfair.  We r at The Centre For Life and just cos we live in Durham, 1 go on NHS, yet if I lived in Gateshead or somewhere I would get 2 or 3.

I want 2 know if there is anything I can do 2 challenge this? Who do I go 2? Where do istart? Can i fight 4 another go?

Me and DH have only ever been married 2 each other, no kids from previous relationships, not that there is owt wrong with that, but surely that counts 4 summat?

Please any advice welcome

thanx 4 listening

LOL Lilyflower xxx

·
Registered
2,287 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank u 4 that hun, just posted on that link and had a rant!!!

I'm really angry now and am gonna do all I can 2 fight 4 another shot, I mean how many times does it work 1st time? So why only get 1 shot? It's utter madness. I'll go 2 my mP if needs be!!!!

LOL Lilyflower xxx

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Good on you hun,

it is very unfair that we only get one shot. I think everyone should be entitled to 3 free goes on the NHS as you're right the 1st go is really a trial go. Plus how can they say its fair just because you live in another area.

I've been in a debate like this before so just want to make it clear i don't get angry because others get 3 goes as i beleive we are entitled to it and the NHS should give us free treatment, i get angry because i don't get 3 free goes.

I hope you get chosen for the program and good luck for future cycles hun.

Love cleo xxxxxxx

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
lily  ^hugme^ sorry you got bad news hunny, i think your 1st port of call would be your PCT they will be able to give you all the facts you need hunny  ^hugme^

xxx

·
Registered
817 Posts
i agree - despite my husband adn I having no children, we get 00000 free goes. nor do we get medications. to add insult to injury my GP won't even do basic blood tests. unbelievable. not sure what i pay taxes for.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Hi Lilyflower

I totally agree with you- even though we never went through more 1 IVF i did contact our local PCT to confirm the correct funding for tx as our consultant told us in his words "the NHS closes its doors to you" at this point i had had no IUI, 1 OI test cycle and 1 IVF which failed before ET however when i contacted the PCT i found out i was entitled to 6xIUI with meds (consultant said IUI without) 1 IVF/ICSI plus and FET from this and that in april 07 it would change to 2 IVF/ICSI cycles!

I would do all your contact with your local PCT via email as you have it in writing and ask them for a copy of the criteria list(sp?)

hope this helps

M J
x

PS feel free to shout if you need any help finding your PCT or anything else!

x

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Lillyflower - that is interesting to know. To be honest we just went along with what the drs told us. I had iui without meds and they said that is all they could offer. I have since had 2 IVF's one on nhs and one privately.

Annathe third - that is awful hun, how can it be so different all over the place?? Our Dr is pretty good and did HIV and chlamydia tests even though we had private tx htis time. However i was on gestone and when i got my BFP (sadly miscarried) my dr wouldn't perscribe it for me (needed to take it for 12 weeks and clinic charged £20 a day  :eek:) a friend of mine however got her dr to prescribe her gestone, her drs is a few streets away  :eek:

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
cleo31 said:
Lillyflower - that is interesting to know. To be honest we just went along with what the drs told us. I had iui without meds and they said that is all they could offer. I have since had 2 IVF's one on nhs and one privately.

Annathe third - that is awful hun, how can it be so different all over the place?? Our Dr is pretty good and did HIV and chlamydia tests even though we had private tx htis time. However i was on gestone and when i got my BFP (sadly miscarried) my dr wouldn't perscribe it for me (needed to take it for 12 weeks and clinic charged £20 a day :eek:) a friend of mine however got her dr to prescribe her gestone, her drs is a few streets away :eek:
Hi Cleo

I would strongly recommend you get the info on what your entitled to from your PCT as some will only giove you nhs tx as long as you havent had more then 3 cycles of ivf including any NHS attempts!

If you want help to find this info out then shout and i am more then happy to help

I have to say i am very lucky as one of my towns MPs does alot of work for womens/childrens health, infertility and adoption- she helped me greatly with a situation during our process to adopt!

xx

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all

Well, U'll all be pleased to hear that I e-mailed my PCT after my rant on here!!! They e-mailed me straight back and told me that I was infact entitled to 2 cycles on the NHS in my PCT.  So, I feel so much better knowing that I am the same as others in my PCT!!!! It's renewed my hope and positive thinking. I will take this info with me 2 my review, armed and dangerous  ^bigbad^ ^bigbad^  It's a good job I'm the kinda gal that won't let things lie, ain't it?  ;D A lot of folk wouldn't challenge things and for those of u out there that wouldn't, PLEASE DO!!!!

Thank you all 4 ur support

LOL Lilyflower xxx

·
Registered
736 Posts
Good for you Lilyflower!!  ^afro^

Don't even get me started on the NHS, because of my age they won't let me have even 1 free go, despite the fact that dh and I have no children. We're both top-rate tax payers and also wonder what we pay taxes for :mad:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi alegria

It's so bloomin unfair ain't it?  Why is age even a factor? If u r a completely childless couple then whatever ur age u should get free go's on NHS. It drives me mad that u won't get a go when couples who already have kids will just cos they r younger than yourself  ^bigbad^ ^bigbad^  I mean don't get me wrong, all couples should get a go, I mean u can get a flippin boob job on the NHS if u say it's really making an impact on ur life, and not bieng able 2 ave children isn't just that bit more important than yer friggin boobs?  ^idiot^

Don't everyone reading this jump on me mind, I'm not saying that if u ave kids then u don't deserve a go, what i'm saying is u should get a go whatever age or situation,just in my opinion those without kids should be 1st in the Q!!!

Its nuts this country it really is, maybe i should get a boob job, I pay my taxes and if i can't get IVF then i may aswell get summat!!!  ;D ;D ;D (joke)

LOL Lilyflower xxx

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Lily glad you got soem GOOD answers from your PCT  ;) see its always good to be in the know  :)

xxx

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Lily

So happy for you that you got it sorted so quickly- thanks for the PM too hun

xxx

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'm gonna have my rantabout the Nhs now too. Our local news has just done a feature on a clinic in Essex who have given ivf free to a woman who is very overweight due to being disabled. The lady has had twins (lucky her). The woman is so disabled her sister lives with her to take care of the babies as she cant even lift them or feed them.! Whats made me more mad is she lives 20 Min's away from me yet i have had to jump through hoops to even get chlomid. I have severe pocs so unfortunately overweight so i dieted lost some got the drugs now they are saying i need to loose more why when she got it she was much much bigger than me. Why does every pct have different rules from everyone it should be the same down the line.
Lilyflower Hun so sorry I thought of you all that day after the chat room, keep your chin up sweetie it WILL HAPPEN to you.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Hiya! How do you email your local PCT?? I think I'm only entitled to one mind  ;D

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Saila said:
Hiya! How do you email your local PCT?? I think I'm only entitled to one mind ;D
I am sure your 2 hun! if you google "pct in xxx" and it will give you yours however i am sure you count as Teesside so would be the same! however i could be wrong! i would say email the pct only and not do it on the phone as that way you have proof of what they say

Here is your pct home page
http://www.redcarclevelandpct.nhs.uk/content/homepage.html
xxx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts