Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Was after some advice, I seem t remember reading somewhere about sntibiotics being able to help anti sperm antibodies(I think thats what they are called!) Does anyone know anything about this? We are currently DR on our first icsi cycle and wondered if there is anything we can do to improve sperm quality. Our problem is MF low count, poor morphology and anti sperm. Due to half successfull vasectomy reversal!!!

Any advice would be gratefully recieved!!!!!

Thanks

Jen x

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
Hmm - not one i've heard of - but would be very interested to hear if anyone knows anything...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hi Jen,

My DH has ASAs as well. At our review less than 2 weeks ago, we were told the only tx for them is steroids, however it's not recommended, given the huge amount of side effects  :(  We were told we have a 1% chance of ever conceiving naturally, due to them  :( :( and IVF is the way forward for us.

I had heard that the antibiotic Vancomycin was successful in treating them, but Vancomycin can only  be administered via IV and has severe side effects also and as such is not considered anymore.

Sorry for the bad news, it's a bit of a downer alright!

The only advice I could give is Zita West or Marilyn Glenville Male Fertility supplements (if you're not already on them), Selenium, Zinc and pycnogenol (improves morphology) to help. But take into consideration that it may be slightly too late for this tx  ^hugme^

Hope this Tx works though and you don't need any of it!

Weeza  ^reiki^ ^pray^ ^hugme^

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks girls for your replies, DH is already taking a concoction of pills. Just wondered if there was anything else we could do!

Any idea if the ASA could stop fertilisation in icsi? Does it just stop them from swimming etc. dont really know that much about it, will it affect chances of icsi working etc?

millions of questions, sorry!!!!

jen x

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
It shouldn't stop fertilisation in icsi - it is the best tx if you have abs.  My consultant wasn't concerned about the quality of dh's sperm - he said all they needed was the genetic material.

i think there is some research into sperm quality and problems with fertilisation/developmental problems, but i think there are plenty of us ladies on here who have gone onto have healthy little ones despite the state of dh's swimmers!!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hi - our consultant also said the only tx for ASA's would be steriods but he didn't recommend it because of the side affects.

From what I understand there are different types of ASA's and they affect sperm in different ways, the consultant seemed to think our main antibodies (as DH has high levels of 2 different types) were attaching themselves to the heads therefore preventing them from being able to get into the egg, other ones go on the tail and stop / slow down their swimming / direction, etc.

We were also given a very slim to almost no chance of ever conceiving naturally but on the bright side the consultant said ICSI was perfect for type of problem so no it won't stop ICSI working at all.

HTH - Wombly x

·
Registered
572 Posts
Jen my DP has antibodies also could MAR if i remember rightly.

Doctor told us once you have them there is no getting rid of them  :(

Doctor also reckoned that they are caused from injury.

Like you MF is our only prob. DP has low count, morph and mort and they can all be improved with diet pills, lifestyle etc. Although consultant also said if he has antibodies there is no point trying to increase other things as the antibodies is the real issue.

I think with ICSI it has something to do with when they wash/clean sperms............i think!!!

See you on cycle buddies  ;)
Zoe xxx

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi girlz,
My DH has ASA and poor motility and morphology too.
My DH was told that ASA occur when there has been some sort of trauma or accident in their bit's at some point in their life. DH had TESE done last september and they froze what sperm they found. There wasn't many, only 4  :( I made DH start taking multi vits every day and on EC day he had to produce a fresh sample. They wanted to use fresh sperm rather than the frozen stuff. They ended up not using the frozen as he managed to get his level up significantly just with the vits and had enough sperm to fertilize 10 eggs!!!! The lab staff do 'wash' the sperm to get the ASA off. Because they inject the sperm into the egg with ICSI the sperm don't have to work so hard. DH sperm swam in circles apparently!!! But as long as they have sperm to work with it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
I've heard that brazil nuts have a lot of selenium in them and that's good for sperm quality?!
Good luck with your cycle hun
Sending sticky vibes your way.
Sarah xx

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
Sarah - at least your dh's sperm swam somewhere!! ;D My dh's lazy buggers weren't goin anywhere!! Luckily with icsi they don't need to...

and my MIl still insists that if we could just relax we'll get that 'natural miracle'....

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sallywags,

My DH's swam the wrong way! Away from the light if you were!!!! stupid  ^HappySperm^

We were told that because of the ASA we stood no chance of concieving naturally, except for a miracle. Why do people think that relaxing is all we need to do!!!!

Jen x

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
jen80 said:
We were told that because of the ASA we stood no chance of concieving naturally, except for a miracle. Why do people think that relaxing is all we need to do!!!!
LOL, so agreed!!!! ASAs are pretty final aren't they? No amount of relaxing is going to do, but trying to convey that message? Impossible.

I never found out what way DHs boyos swim, must find out.............

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
Although funnily enough, a lot of vas surgeons don't htink they are that big a deal... there is one who posted on here, who's name i can't remember..... who suggests that fertility doctors think they are more final than surgeons do....

hmm.... the lack of pg suggests that perhaps the fertility surgeons are on to something....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts