Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Molly is nearly 6.5 months old and after an incredibly testing day I'm at the end of my tether :'( :'(

She is still not sleeping through the night, and although I know not all babies do I never thought I'd still be getting up in the night to feed her at this age. She's never been a big eater, took me ages to get her to go every 4 hours between feeds, used to be every 2/3 sometimes 1 hour ::) the most she'll take is 5oz and even going 4 hours she can still only manage 3oz at times. She has no problems with her weight though, last time she was weighed (about 2 weeks ago) she was on the 95th centile.

Then I started a new routine, recommended by a friend, where we bathed her at 9:45pm, fed her then she was off between 10:30pm/11pm. This worked well, she started to sleep through until 6/7am. Then after about 2 weeks it all went pear shaped again. She was waking at 3/4/5/6am but we were doing nothing differently than before. Then was recommended to up her food to 3 meals a day, she again wasn't interested in the purees I gave her. So stopped and planned to give it a few more weeks. Tried again but still hard work, I then got really stressed about it and heard about BLW. Decided to go with this and felt much better. To cut a long story short my confidence was knocked and decided to do a combination of both, have been doing this for about a fortnight and things have improved on that front. But she's still not sleeping well, it may sound selfish but I've had enough of getting up in the night, I need more sleep.

I've been stricter with her daytime naps, she goes into her cot for a morning and afternoon nap and will have a sleep in the pram if we go out too.

To make matters more stressful I go back to work part time in July and must have a good routine going for my parents who will be looking after her and certainly don't want to be getting up in the night then doing a long day at work :(

She is a very happy, content baby though. She smiles all the time, even at 3am when she's been crying so I know she isn't unhappy as such. But I need advice as keep mucking everything up, I know teething will unsettle her but no sign of teeth breaking through yet and can't go on how I am. It's making me miserable. At the moment the only break I get is when I sleep and that's no life is it. I love Molly with all my heart but I'm just at breaking point now :'(

x

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
Angelmoon - no magic solutions I'm afraid just lots of ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

Lack of sleep can really make everything else seem hugely stressful. Can your Dh help out at all? maybe on Friday and Sat nights - when I got comletely exhausted I went and slept in the spare room for a couple of nights and DH took over - it's amazing what a couple of decent nights sleep can do - it helps put everything else back in perspective.

I hate to say it but my LO still wakes at night (he's 16 months) but all babies are different and some sort their sleep out themselves. I sure some of the other girls will have some good advice for you.

It sounds like you need a bit of 'me' time, you can't be on top form for baby if you're not looking after yourself. Maybe see if you DH or your parents can arrange for you to have a day off to do something nice, or have the house to yourself to chill out.

Take care
Blu

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ AM

Know exactly how you feel!!

C does NOT sleep through the night and, apart from the occasional 'lifesaver' nights, he never has!!

You are not a bad mummy. A bad mummy wouldn't even realise that she was a bad mummy IYSWIM. You are just a tired mummy who is flying by the seat of her pants with this motherhood lark, as are a lot of us!!

Parcel M off to your parent's and spend the evening with DH, have an early night!!  ;) ;) We all need a break sometimes............

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
AM -  ^hugme^ ^hugme^

T is no where near sleeping through the night yet. After his middle of the night feed he doesn't settle well at all and we battle from about 4am onwards to try and get some sleep for us and him.

Lack of sleep makes everything else feel so much worse. Can you and dh take it in turns to catch up with some sleep in another room? We do this and it makes me able to get through the day.

Sorry I can't offer much advice, just letting you know you aren't on your own with this.

No more talk of bad mummies, please. I know you are a fab mummy - Molly wouldn't be a happy little girl otherwise.

Take care, hun,
Karen xx

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hugs from me too. It's a hard one. You could try controlled crying, pick up put down, sitting in the room until she settles herself or various other techniques. Also speak to your health visitor for advice. At 6.5 months we decided to go down the controlled crying route. ONe Friday night we decided to go for it on advice of a friend; when D woke up we went to her, put a hand on her back and stood with her for a while crying, then withdrew for a few minutes, then went back into the room, stood with a hand on her back, withdrew for five minutes, back into the room with a hand on her back, etc making the breaks out of the room longer, until she went to sleep. I was in tears as well, but DH was the 'strong one' who persisted. The next night we repeated this technique, for a much shorter period and the night after she slept through and has continued to do so. This method isn't for everyone and I can just 'hear' the tuts and see the head shaking from some mums, but it worked for us and was right for us. Others have chosen the 'pick up, put down' method, hopefully someone can explain it. While others are still getting up in the night to feed their babies. It's personal choice.

Good luck!
Katherine

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
CC worked for me too - although it doesn't work now she can stand up and bounce around her cot! (i just ignore her now!! ;D who's the bad mummy?! ;D )

But on the couple of occasions i tried it, it only took 2-3 nights to get her back in a routine.  it is hard - particularly the first night - but persevere and she may respond well!

I know what it's like to get no sleep too - but luckily i managed to get her to sleep through (most of the time - we have spells where she doesn't!) before i went back to full time work.  I weaned her off milk overnight and now only use it in an emergency!

Good luck with it - it DOES get better, honest! hopefully as she starts to eat more she will improve too - she is only little still.

Big hugs

Sallywags

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Hey AM  honey..

Daisy and Molly are exactly the same age.. Now although D does not get fed in the night, she would drink a good few oz if i offered it to her.. To stop the night feeds i just made her wait longer each night.. ie 1st moaning go in..give her back her dummy.. 2nd time the same and so on till i was sure she was not going to go off.. I think its was a habit with her and although i did revert back to night feeds for a couple of days a few weeks ago she dropped it as above  on the 4th night.

You are not a bad mummy.. you are Molly's world and the fact that she is happy, smiley and putting on weight (hmm mines on the 95th as well.. must have been a big baby day on the 11/10 eh! ) then you are doing everything right.

I agree with the others that you need some time for you.. 1 good nights sleep really does help.. D still wakes most night 2/3 times but goes off again with her dummy and some nights sleeps right through. I think that we expect so much of ourselves to be the perfect mummy.. esp after waiting such a long time.. that if things don't go to plan we blame ourselves.. After speaking to my SIL's after a few very bad nights it seems that the baby's that do sleep well are in the minority!

Try and get some zzz's when she does sleep in the day.. step away from the cleaning and give yourself a break xxx

Sending you loads of love.. it will get better..
Love Starr xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.