Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago Marcus launched himself out of the bath onto our tiled bathroom floor, and landed on his forehead, and his feet arched over his head in a kind of gymnastic move, I felt awful, because I was right there at the bath side and missed him.  He was fine, apart from the lump on the forehead, and the only after effect was my feeling guilty.

Well today he did almost a repeat performance, but from the sofa onto the living room floor.  Again from right next to me.

The logical side of me says that there is nothing we can do about such events, and they will have accidents, but goodness, the emotional side of me is struggling.

I hope I don't turn into a neurotic mother through all my failure to save him incidents!

:(

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
JaneNewcastle said:
The logical side of me says that there is nothing we can do about such events, and they will have accidents, but goodness, the emotional side of me is struggling.
Stick with the logical side, hun :)

Once he starts runnig havok in the garden and the like, you will need that logical side even more ;)

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dee. 

I was just thinking about that today, we are lucky enough to have a large garden, which stretches back from a sunken patio outside the kitchen, I was just looking at the drop from the lawn onto the patio wondering about putting a fence up!!

::)

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
Hi Jane  :)

Sounds like you have a stuntman on your hands  :)  Don't beat yourself up about it - they soon learn not to hurt themselves.

We put railings around our patio which had a drop around it - cost a blooming fortune  ::)  Now we are continuing them down the garden path to segregate an area for the dog  ;D  Must be mad.....

Keep a packet of peas in the freezer, to put on M's bumps  ;)

Take care

love from carole
xxxx

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Well the way I think about it is ... we can over protect.

Sometimes a little tumble can teach more that a 6 foot fence  ;)

Oh and I didn't think that tonight when F dragged the garden chairs about 30ft so he could climb up on to the top of their play house, stand on the roof and shout "I'm the king of the castle!"  ::)

Boys will definately be boys  :-*

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
;D @ I'm the king of the castle.

Robert's favourite saying at the moment is "You can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man"  ;D

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Oh Jane

We have to have eyes on the back of our heads

My Ben was in his bouncy chair yesterday and I went to the loo, heard him cry and i thought "it cos im not there" came down stairs to find him on all fours with the chair on his back  ^scared^.  I agree about the "logical side" but im struggling too emotionally

Love Sanjo x

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Ladies

The logical side told me that they all have bumps and scrapes and most of them I cope with, maybe it's because I've been so close and seen his neck twisting on these two particular falls.

I also don't want to overprotect, and so far have done very well with "whoops a daisy, that didn't hurt, come on now" with most incidents.  Someone at nursery has however taught him about kissing things better and the little monkey is trying to use that to the full, except of course if he's really hurt like tonight, when they just want to have a tight cuddle until the tears stop.

Sanjo - if they can tip the bouncy chair, time to retire it I guess, at least for leaving them alone in.  ^hugme^

P.S. Loving the favourite sayings of the moment, Marcus' is "Mummy's little treasure", which in Marcus speak comes out something like "Muma's ick teasha"

:)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
JaneNewcastle said:
Sanjo - if they can tip the bouncy chair, time to retire it I guess, at least for leaving them alone in. ^hugme^
What do i do with him now when i need to pee, shower etc......oh man! ;D

Sanjo xx

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
sanjo said:
JaneNewcastle said:
Sanjo - if they can tip the bouncy chair, time to retire it I guess, at least for leaving them alone in. ^hugme^
What do i do with him now when i need to pee, shower etc......oh man! ;D

Sanjo xx
A Babydan (or similar) playpen ;)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Hi, I know where you're coming from. My boys are both dare devils and love climbing. I was worse when Jamie fell and would brood about it for days feeling guilty that I didn't manage to stop him hurting himself. I have to say I'm a bit more relaxed with Daniel. Things happen so quickly even when you're right next to them and there's nothing you can really do about it. BTW Marcus is so cute, love those wee cheeks!

Sanjo - we got a travel cot and put that in the living room so when the boys were smaller, I would put them in there with some toys so I could go for the worlds fastest shower!

Viv

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Jane honey I completely sympathise - and to be honest I'm not even sure that at that (or this) age they really even learn that much from it, well not that they shouldn't do it again, anyway.  I think they may learn to balance better and how to master physical things, but accidents will always happen with little climbers - and you've either got one or you haven't.  I've got one!!  :eek:

I was at the playground today with two other mums of boys the same age as M, before schools tip out so there was no one on the climbing frame but our boys.  We commented that we felt very 'grown up' as for the first time we sat on the bench watching them about 10 yards away and were not standing right by the climbing frame supervising their every move !  We used to say we were envious of the mums whose children were older and better climbers, that they were chilled enough to sit and watch - now we're doing it!!  ;D ;D

It comes eventually, either they get better at climbing or you just get more relaxed!  ;D

C x 

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.