Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

What a relief to find somewhere to chat to others in the same (or similar) boat as you. :)

I've been infertile for five and a bit years now due to a damaged pituitary gland (so I am not able to produce any hormones under my own steam - or as the medics say hypo-pit!). 18 months ago DH and I decided to go down the IVF route and were referred to our local hospital. Just our luck, as soon as we got on the system and received a letter to say we would be receiving an appointment shortly, they department was closed down.

Next step was to get referred by our GP to our second option NHS hospital. Only to find it was the most awful experience - no one bothering to read notes, re-ordering tests because the results came back as abnormal (as they would given my pre-existing medical condition), refusing to refer us to a hospital which has an expertise int treating patients with my particular condition...and the list goes on!

So we area bout to embark on self-funded IVF and we're looking at different options (All suggestions welcome!). I just feel as though I've lost a year and a half which is so frustrating.

Sorry for the rant - it's just that it is so good to have an outlet!
loudmouse

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi loudmouse

I can imagine how frustrating the whole thing has been for you so far, but hopefully I can offer some words of comfort, now you are self-funding things should really really speed up.

My partner and I learnt in Oct that we have severe male factor infertility and that probably the only route for us was ICSI.  We opted straight for self-funding IVF because I didn't feel like we had time to wait for the NHS (18 months wait and I'm 33) and mentally because I thought it would drive me absolutely mad!

By Christmas we had exhausted investigations with a urologist (They don't know why it's low and no there is nothing they can do!)  We saw a consultant in mid Dec and by Jan had decided to go ahead with a cycle of ICSI.  I start the stimulation drugs on 7/2 and they should do the egg transfer on 9/3.    We could have even started in Jan.  I do feel lucky that we are in a position that we can choose to pay for the treatment.  I think the waiting and not knowing makes things 10 times worst. 

I hope you find the private sector equally speedy!

Good luck

ClaireB 

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello

I cant offer much in the way of advice but you are not alone in feeling frustrated wi the NHS.  You wait for months for an appointment only to get a five minutes with the doc and the definite feeling that you are just a small part of their long day.  The only thing that i hold on to is that it does work sometimes.  Stay positive and good luck.

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
Sorry I can't offer any advice to you but I just wanted to say welcome and  ^hello^

I'm sure you will get all the help and support you need.  Stay postive and good luck x

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All

Thanks for your encouragement. I know that the NHS isn't all bad from previous experience - I guess it depends very much on the hospital you go to and the consultant that runs the department....

I'll be posting updates on the private route, I'm sure. In the meantime, ClaireB, good luck with your ET!

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
HI

WELCOME to FF

sorry to hear of your bad experiences, but welcome to ff
Feel free to come join us on the chitter chatters thread if you fancy a natter

love
suzie aka olive xx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts