Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be long, sorry.

William is 6 weeks, fully breast fed and gorgeous.

Birth problems: admitted to SCBU at 24 hrs old for breathing problems. Discharged to post natal ward with me 2 days later. Real problems feeding, wouldn't latch on so given nipple shields ( ^bigbad^ ) and spent a whole month weaning him off them as he refused to feed directly from me after that. At 1 month he got the hang of it and fed from me BUT I don't believe he has the skills of a 6 weeks old, he's only been 'truly' breast feeding for 2 weeks and I feel his skills are of a 2 week old - he tires very quickly (although does has a great suck!).

General problems: where to start.....

I CAN NOT get him to sleep anywhere but in my arms, we have a pram, a cot, a cotbed and a bean bag thing and if I put him in any of them he goes purple (eg cries).

His feeds last anything from 2 mins (falls asleep) to 2 hours - he sucks and sleeps and sucks and sleeps, but if I take him off he goes purple.

Every day I shower & dress to the sound of him screaming and when I get to him he's purple.

I express with each feed so as to top him up after he has zonked out (otherwise it'll be one of those 2 hour grazing feeds) and because of difficult positioning (trying to hold a baby to the breast and a pump to the other without milk or baby going everywhere) he goes purple.

Every time I change his nappy or expose any flesh to the air he goes purple.

Baths ... purple.

I eat my lunch / supper to the sound of screaming and guess what ... he's purple.

You get the picture.

I hate the fact that he's now sleeping in bed with us - I am so scared we're going to have him in there with us when he's 7 or something.

I hate that I can't put him anywhere to sleep - despite what everyone says ... "he's a baby, that's what they do" .... we still all need to do things - laundry, cooking etc etc, at the moment I hold him about 23 hrs a day!

I hate that he always seems so unhappy even though I try so hard (this breast feeding thing ... my god I have persevered so much, I could have given up a million times but I've kept on going)

I hate that at w/e's my husband holds him while I have my shower / breakfast / lunch / just want a break and then tries to tell me that William never cries and what's my problem.

I hate the fact that he seems like a bag of bones and he's not putting weight on (we had real weight loss problems to start with, then he gained, now I think he's stopped - we started to put him in 0-3 m clothes but now they seem to be falling off him. I called the HV this morning & left a message, I'm going to ask her to come and weigh him. DH thinks I'm being neurotic and his weight is fine but then it was him that pointed out how big his clothes seem!)

I took William to the hospital's out of hours GP yesterday morning 'cos he hadn't had a wet nappy for 12 hours and his fontanelle was dipped, his cry was weakening, he was feeding even worse than normal plus he'd had diarrhea. They think he has a bit of a tummy bug which he may have got from my father who visited on Friday (father's fine but my mother has had something since last Sunday) I was so scared W was dehydrated and getting floppy. DH and I had a row about going 'cos he thinks I'm neurotic and told me to just chill out, but when I said no he started going on about 'let's bl00dy call 999 then' (DH is a Dr and was on-call this w/e and was really busy and so VERY tired - so don't be too hard him.)

I sat there crying with the GP feeling such a prat 'cos she said he was fine and toping him up with cup feeds was the right thing to do so carry on and told me what to do if it got worse (it hasn't.)

I don't believe any more that I'm breast feeding for the right reasons - I want to do it but I don't think I'm filling W up so therefore it's not best for him just me. I feel if I bottle fed he'd get full quickly and fall asleep all happy and satisfied and grow. I feel bad for BF-ing him and cocking everything up just to make me happy and DH (who is v pro BF-ing too.)

I hate that at times I can't get far enough away from William (when DH has him) and would happily drive off into the sunset for an hour or two (it's only temporary though!!).

I love William so much (he really is the most gorgeous little baby ::) ) and all I want is to make him happy and get him to grow big and strong but I feel like I'm always on the verge of failing him and he's mostly yelling 'cos he's so unhappy / frustrated.

He has started smiling at me which is heart meltingly wonderful - I just wish he was like that more often ...

Well done if you've finished this! If nothing else it was good to just get it all off my chest. I don't expect you to have any answers really, I just hope you don't think I'm a [email protected] as I think I am!

B xx :-*

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
BG huni!!

I didnt want to read and run so i not going to!!

You are not a rubbish mummy at all sweetie! Please dont think you are! You do your best for your baby boy and its not your fault that he likes to be with his mummy 24/7  ^hugme^

Please dont be to hard on yourself, i really dont know what advice to give as i am so new to this aswell but i do want to give you a massive hug sweetie  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

x x x x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Oh matey, big hugs to you. ^hugme^ ^hugme^ I know it doesn't help and isn't what you want to hear, but how you are feeling and what is happening really isn't that unusual so don't beat yourself up over it. You are doing a great job and what makes you a fantastic mommy is that fact that whilst you may want to run away, you haven't so give yourself a pat on the back for that!

I found BF'ing so hard too and looking back was practically starving J in the first few weeks. He wasn't gaining weight, he was meserable and cried all the time, wouldn't sleep..........it was awful. I ended up topping him up with formula after each feed which was probably the worst thing I could have done as it was a slippery slope to 100% formula feeding. When I had M I did things differently and when I moved to mixed feeding, I gave one complete feed a day of formula and that was it and it worked much better. I don't know how you feel about mixed feeding but maybe you could get your dh to give a bottle of formula in the evening just to give you a break? Alternatively try and express throughout the day and give that although as he's feeding so much that's probably not possible.

Is he actually feeding when he's latched on or just suckling for comfort? If it's the latter then have you considered a dummy? Are you eating properly? I know it's the last thing you have time to do with a newborn but if you don't then your milk will suffer.

Why not take yourself and William off to bed for the day and just feed lots which will stimulate your supply, and then sleep lots too. Just because he's in your bed now does not mean he still will be when he's older, but deal with one thing at a time. For now do what you have to do to get some sleep then once you're all feeling better sort out the sleeping.

The other thing is they do tend to have a growth spurt around 6 weeks which will mean constant feeding so that could explain why he's like he is at the moment.

It does get easier but that's not help to you at the moment I know. Have a good chat with your HV and get her to check he's latching on properly.

Chux xx

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Hi BG,
^hugme^ ^hugme^, you are NOT a rubbish mummy, the fact that you're so worried proves that. I know you want to breast feed (as did I) but it doesn't always work through no fault of mother or baby. I had very similar problems with Daisy in the first few weeks, she screamed all the time (that really angry scream that makes her purple), she lost weight, at 3 weeks old she lost 2 ozs in a day so despite the guilt trip I got by the HVs I put her on a formula bottle at night, worked miracles! She had that almost drunk look that they tell you means the baby is full (she never had anything like that breastfeeding).  For a further 2 weeks I gave her a formula top up after bf but to be honest she was taking a full bottle after 45 mins of bf so I came to the conclusion that she was getting very little from me so I put her on formula 100%. This doesn't have to be the case, many people I know just stuck to 1 formula at night and it worked very well.
Very quickly Daisy was a transformed baby. Now that I know her better I know that the only time we get that really angry cry is when she's hungry and I'm 100% sure that's what was wrong with her in the first few weeks.
Ultimatley I have never felt as down and miserable in my life as I did when I was endlessly stuck to the sofa trying to feed Daisy and feeling like I was failing. When we went on to formula me and Daisy were much happier.
There is no denying that BFing is best for baby if it works but it's truly miserable if it doesn't and the fact is that there is a viable alternative that most of us were reared on and you really shouldn't be made to feel guilty if that's the route you go down. I can honestly say that putting Daisy on formula was the best thing I could have done for both of us. That's not to say I won't try bfing if I'm lucky enough to have another one.
Having a happy Mum is just as important if not more important as anything else.

Good luck and take care
xxx

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Oh Hunny

I posted the same thing ther other day - your not alone  ^hugme^.  Please please dont beat yourself up about - im sure your a fantastic mummy, the thing is that when we have a "bad day" it becomes all that you think about and we make it ibto a "big thing".
If william is sleeping on you then to be honest id just let him - if hes happy to do it and you are too then so be it.  My Ben was the same and id cuddle him to sleep and then put him into the moses basket.

I cant offer any advice on the BF - i didnt do it mainly due to not latching on and not much support from the Hospital  :-\  If you feel tho that you want to stop then stop and try not to feel guilty - you have to be happy too. ^hugme^

Eventually William will get used to being put down and you will be able to get things done around the house - Ben was also the same and Id sit with him all day and DH would come home to no dinner or the house not tidy but Id try to put him into his bouncy chair and take him into the bathroom whilst id shower and he eventually got used to being put down and things then got done.

I remember thinking too that Ben was an "unhappy" baby and id worry over it - but honestly once they settle into being in the world things really do improve.

Your not nuerotic - your a mummy and its our job to worry  ;), if you feel that you need to go to A&E then just go with your gut feeling. 

Please try not to think your a rubbish mummy, your wee baby loves you and im sure that we all feel like "running away" some days  :)

You take care

Love Sanjo xx

·
Premium Member
6,986 Posts
Hiya Hun ^hugme^

Totally agree with Chux re the feeding. I breast fed Lissy for 5 weeks, but she never seemed full or content. would feed for an hour and a half, drain me etc so went onto mixed feeding, so that A/ i knew she was full soon after. B/ i could physically see how much she was having etc It definately did the trick. If you do decide to mix feed DONT feel like a failure. Youre only doing whats best for W. and if that makes him a happier baby then so be it. Theres never been so much pressure at the moment to breast feed. But even though i only managed to wholly do it for only 5 weeks, then she still had a great start.

Also why not try putting an item of your clothing in with W when he sleeps so that he can smell your scent? might calm him a little? worth a try?

Have you got some family or a good friend who can help a little? Accept help if its offered hun. If W naps, then you have a nap if you can. Get DH to help you prepare things for the following day, just to make things a little easier. Even if its peeling some spuds for tea and soaking them.

Youre doing a great job, like Chux says give yourself a pat on the pat too, you deserve it. Babies dont come with a manual, you find your own way. ^hugme^

Hugs to you all. Take care x

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
^hugme^  BG

I think Chux has given you some excellent advice.

We all get the 'breast is best' mantra drummed into us, but sometimes IT'S JUST NOT ENOUGH!! I think mix-feeding with formula once or twice a day could make a big difference to your little fella.

You are obviously a very conscientious mummy, who's just having a really tough time right now. Don't be hard on yourself, you don't deserve it.

I hope you see an improvement soon, and in the meantime we're here for you whenever you need us  ^hugme^

Love Jo xx

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Hi, sending you a big  ^hugme^. You sound like a fantastic mummy who just wants the best for her son. I have to say I breastfed my two at first and really struggled with it. I honestly think if I'd bottle fed earlier, I would have had a much happier experience. It might be worth bottle feeding him and don't feel bad about it, there's so much guilt laid on you if you don't breastfeed but in my opinion a happy mum = a happy baby. It would also let you get other people to babysit for a while and give you a break. As much as we love our kids we all need a bit of time out. My two were never satisfied on breast milk and were much more content once they had formula.

I really sympathise with you on worrying about his health. I was the exact same and my DH was so laid back and always said I was being paranoid which made me feel really alone. I spoke to my HV as I felt like I was always taking him to the doctor and she said all doctors would rather see a child even if it's to put the mothers mind at rest.

Viv

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi B

I feel for you so much.  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ I remember going through something similar with Darcey and at around eight weeks I did drive off into the sunset. DH had come home almost two hours after he'd told me he was going to, I'd had a crying baby the whole day, and by the time he got home I had also been crying for hours, so I handed Darcey to him and just drove and drove and drove and drove until I stopped crying. Then called a girlfriend and cried and talked for ages. Then called DH to let him know I was okay and would be home soon. Went home, told DH he was feeding Darcey formula for the night, made him open a bottle of champagne and sat and drank it together and talked and talked and talked, and agreed to put Darcey on one bottle of formula a day, at nighttime, so I could go to bed earlier and to make sure Darcey was getting at least one good feed a day. By this time she had NOT regained her birth weight and it was a heartbreaking decision to make, I felt like such a bad mother. BUT, Darcey is now a year old, happy, healthy and gives me big cuddles, smiles when she sees me picking her up at nursery and doesn't seem to be any the worse for having the top up bottles of formula. I don't think I was producing enough milk for her and once she did start having the top up formula she did start growing and putting on weight. I was less stressed, which meant a less stressed baby.

Also think about a dummy as some babies just like to suck all the time and that doesn't mean you have to be the dummy. We introduced a dummy and removed it at six months. She gave it up really easily and we've not needed it since.

Good luck!
Katherine

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Sending you lots of  ^hugme^. You're not a bad mummy.  You care so much which makes you a good mummy!  ^hugme^

Re feeding.  I didn't have enough milk to start with for Sam & ended up giving him a bottle of formula at 6:30pm which made all the difference to him & us.

You mentioned that you're holding onto William 23 hours a day - have you tried using a sling or papoose?  This way, he's cuddled up to you but it leaves your arms free to do jobs around the house.  I used to carry Sam around in a baby bjorn late in the afternoon as he had colic & I cooked dinner with him attached to me.  It maybe worth giving it a go.  William can then fall asleep rocked by your movements.

Take care of yourself

Ronnie
xx

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi B
Bless you - sending you big hugs.
I've only got a couple of minutes but just to say...
Breastfeeding is really hard work at first - I think most of us are guilty of imagining its going to be really easy and then get a big shock!!  It does get easier I promise as your body is very clever and will up its production the more he needs.  BUT - if its going to make you happier and more relaxed then don't beat yourself up if you give him some formula!
Bathtime - I must admit I'd forgotten but my LO used to get v distressed in the bath too.  Could you try having a bath with him?  I used to love doing that and you can also try to feed him in the bath if he gets upset which is nice.  We then went through quite a long time of him screaming when he got out and dressed, but after a month or two that stopped as well (and now bathtime is probably the highlight of his day!)
Sleeping with you - my LO slept with us every night for the first 2-3 months as he hated being left as well.  After a while we tried putting him in his own crib and he was absolutely fine.  Mind you, he still ends up in our bed for a few hours each night even now - but that's mainly because I'm naughty and love having him to cuddle (and I still feed him at night so its easier).  But the important thing is that 99% of the time he's perfectly happy to go back into his own cot so having him in our bed didn't make problems for us at a later date (the 1% of the time he's not happy is usually when he's ill or teething and who doesn't want a cuddle when they feel rubbish?) 
Also - I think having him in our bed for the first few months really really helped with the feeding so maybe it would help you too?

Obviously its totally down to you but wanted you to know that if you do things that aren't "right" according to the books you can still have a happy little boy (and good relationship with your DH).

Best of luck
Tams xx

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hi

Big  ^Cuddle^ to you.

Some of the things you've said I experienced too.  At the begining I found it difficult to settle Joshua in his basket, he fell asleep in my arms.  I had to have the quickest showers on record, and had to learn to do everthing one handed.  It took a while, but eventually things fall into place.  As for the bfing, I really struggled with that too and felt like giving up. I felt like I wasn't giving him enough, so at four weeks, I gave Joshua formula last thing at night and that helped.  I now give him 3 bfs and 2ff and it makes such a differnece to him and to me. 
You sound like a great mum doing the best you can for your baby. 

Take Care.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
BG - welcome to the club! you are not crap you're just human and the first few months are so hard x take the pressure off yourself (hard I know) and try and relax, sounds like you are doing a fab job to me x everything you are thinking, feeling and experiencing is very normal (but no-one tells you!!!) and honestly it will get so much better x

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Oh you poor love ^hugme^

You are an AMAZING mummy, and William knows that already.  You've nurtured him for 9 months in the womb and now you're continuing to put his needs first - you should be really proud of yourself.  The very fact that you are worried about all these things, and took time to seek advice here, proves what a wonderful mother you are.  My advice would be to choose just ONE of the issues you raise here, and ask DH to sit down with you and work out together how to solve it.  Don't try to solve everything at once; you will probably find that things fall into place by themselves once you've addressed the first thing!  I get the impression from your post that you don't feel in control of anything at the moment (sorry if I'm wrong!) so it might help you to seize control and put a plan in place.  So if you choose to tackle the feeding issue, YOU decide what would make you and William happy.  If you want to continue exclusively b/feeding, there are lactation counsellors who will help you.  If you decide to introduce some formula, YOU decide how much/when etc. 

I wish you lots and lots of luck - I felt very moved by your post, and wish I could give you a big hug ^hugme^

xx Clare

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Firstly you need a huge hug  ^hugme^

Being a new Mum is so hard and your doing a fab job  ^hugme^  As for the BF, Iestyn was BF and I experienced the same probs as you at this stage.  It's ultimately your decision if you wish to continue, I found I had no time and like you would constantly be BFing especially evening time.  I had always given a formula at night and it did help but not enough. 

So I decided enough was enough and got my head into 'The Baby whisperer' book, using the 'pick up, put down' technique for bedtimes, naps etc.  I also decided to stop BFing, (not saying you should, ) and I have to say we were both much happier at this point.  I had to go cold turkey for the change from boob to all bottle and those 2 days were hell.  Within a week, Iestyn was settling on his own and a much happier baby.  BF is so hard and I have nothing but admiration for those you can do it, I think that because I had always demand fed Iestyn from the begining he would use me as a dummy, and snack all day.

What ever you decide to do make sure that you have support, good luck and well done on being an excellent Mummy.  ^hugme^  You obviously care and are worried, just tackle one thing at a time  ^hugme^ ^hugme^

Hayley

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Hi B - are you sure it ain't my son you've got because I swear it sounds like he's been cloned!  ;D

Sounds like you've been through the wars - but trust me it does get better!  :) And your doing a fantastic job so just keep going!!  ;)

Matthew was a little bugger when it came to putting him down to do anything  ::). I eventually found that if I swaddled him during the day and cuddled him for a good 15 mins before putting him down then he would stay down, and by putting him down I used his rocky chair which is like a deep bucket chair and it used to keep him 'cooried' in (cuddled).  Showers in my house were like the benny hill show before then, there used to be a trail of clothes from him to the bathroom and all the way back to the bedroom. Now he happily sits in his chair and watches me in the shower - major improvement  :) I also started the pick up put down, as above. He now goes down awake at night and settles himself

Baths?? Ask most new mums and they'll tell you that there babies done it. We thought matt had a problem with his shoulders or hips at first because as soon as you went near him to strip him or dip him in the bath he squealed blue murder. I am honestly surprised that we have not had Social Services at the door for child abuse because god knows what the neighbours thought was happening in here. Eventually he settled down. We used to bring his bath into living room and put the fire on, we then bathed him and changed him as quickly as poss because it was more hassle than anything else.  When do you give him his bath? We usually did it at night but we gave him one on a morning for some reason one dayand it was as if someone had swapped our child overnight. He was obviously too tired on a night time and as soon as we swapped to mornings he was great, loved splashing. He now goes in the big bath and we have never had a peep out of him since.

I agree with chux regarding the dummy. I beat myself up over it big time as I was worried about nipple confusion but one night he just would not settle and come 4 in the morning I had had enough. We ended up in the kitchen with me in tears, him in tears, trying to boil this dummy to give him (no steriliser, was BF at time). Gave him it and it was heaven. He fell asleep (in pram on his own first time ever) and I got some sleep. Matt just had suck a strong suck reflex that he needed it to settle. Don't beat yourself up over it - Matt happily carried on B/Feeding without trouble for about 3 month after it. I also beat myself up over breast feeding - Matt ended up refusing to feed, found out he had ear infection and I was devestated as I had switched him to bottles fully when previously he had been getting one F/F on a nightime. I tried to put him back on (was within a few days) but he flat refused and to be honest he is happier on bottles. He's putting on weight like a good un and hes happy in his little self. What you've got to think is, you have given it a go and if your not happy and he's not happy then switch and don't feel bad about it. Happy mummy = happy baby. Sit down and dicuss this with your partner. The pressure to B/F is immense but they aren't always there to support you when the bad times come but you have persevered for 6 weeks so he has had some goodness. If you want to carry on why not introduce a formula feed before he goes to bed? Express that feed whilst your partner gives him his bottle so you are keeping your demand going for your supply - it may help you get a few hours rest a put things back on  even keel for you and you can tackle it then in a better frame of mind.

Tackle one thing at a time and things will start to settle - it's hard but the reward is there in the end.

^hugme^ for you. Your doing a great job and it does get easier.

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to reply to me here, the depth of your replies is overwhelming. I'd really like to chat about some of the things that have been said but as I'm typing one handed (and against the 'feeding clock') I'd better keep it short.

Can you believe I kind of felt even more inadequate reading the replies when I saw that one of you was giving me advice when you have twin babies and an older child - how do you manage?!!

I spoke (well sobbed) to the HV this morning, she was lovely and offered to visit today but I asked her to come tomorrow instead as DH will also be home and I think it will be good for him to be part of the discussion.

I gave William a bath before lunch and decided to weigh him, I rigged up the kitchen scales and was absolutely horrified to see that he's lost 2 lbs since he was born. I am devastated. I've been starving him. Needless to say I've been defrosting stored ebm since until the HV gets here and we decide what to do.

I told DH about the weight and he was terribly upset for not listening to me. We've briefly chatted about the mixed feeds as suggested here and have agreed that we will do it if it's best for W. I so very much do not want to stop bf-ing so perhaps this is the answer, something has to change though.

The HV also mentioned a dummy to help settle him, I am still not sure but we said we'd discuss it tomorrow too.

W also had another bout of diarrhea this evening but I was wondering .... I have given W 2 doses of gripe water, one was late Sat night and he had diarrhea the next morning and the second dose was tonight and he had the nappy explosion shortly afterwards. Do you think it possible that he hasn't got a bug but that the gripe water doesn't agree with him?

There are parts of mummyhood that I wouldn't change for all the tea in china but my goodness it can be so hard too, I just feel so lost for such a lot of the time.

Thank you again though, I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

B xx :-*

·
Premium Member
6,986 Posts
B ^hugme^

if you do decide to go for a little bit of formula, you'll notice a difference i'm sure hun. You havent been starving your little boy hunny. ^hugme^ You're really giving yourself a hard time at the mo, stop it! If W settles with a dummy then so be it. If he settles better after 1 or 2 bottles of formula each day then so be it, dont beat yourself up. honestly, you'll make yourself poorly, then you'll be no good for your gorgeous little boy.

Keep us updated X

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hello,

My DD has a chest infection, I had 1.5 hrs sleep last night, off for a nap now so I will be blunt and brief, not read others replies so may be repeating/contradicting. Here are my thoughts/idea/suggestions

1. I'm a midwife and my DD was still a crap feeder from day one due to a neck problem, lost more than 10% of her birthweight at 3 days and was still crap at feeding at 6 weeks but we persevered and she thrived on breast milk until 13.5 months and it was easy peasy eventually. My point is, I knew what I was doing and it was still a complete nightmare, I can so see why people need to stop BF sometimes!

2. If you want to stop BF now, do it - you have absolutely given it a brilliant go, you shouldn't feel guilty for a second

3. The crying purple baby sounds familiar and I think is not at all unusual. Try a baby carrier and a dummy. I was against dummies, I was the only one in my peer group without. My DD used me as dummy, for 5 months until I caved in a got her a dummy...I won't be so silly next time, would use one from about a month old. I was just being a dummy snob! If it makes you feel any better my DD was a nightmare at this age, but ended up being one of the best sleepers in our Mum's group once past the newborn stage

4. Sounds like there are some supply issues there and yes you might need to supplement with formula but that doesn't need to mean the end of BF if you want to keep going. The main thing is to get your little man fed and rested and then you should be able to boost your supply later without that pressure of worrying about his weight and health etc. It's not your fault - being separated from your baby and then having to use the nipple shields etc you have done well to BF at all, its not surprising your supply has been affected.

5. If you can get the help of a lactation consultant (sometimes they have BF clinics at local hosps/clinics for free) that would really help

6. Would give the gripe water a miss

7. Kitchen scales are very inaccurate and there are big variations in HV different scales so make sure from now on he is always weighed on the same scales.

Will post this now and re read you first post, there was more to say but I've forgotten!

Sue

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just a couple more things:

I notice he was a big baby so at least he had a bit more weight to keep him going

I don't think it would hurt to get a second opinion from your own GP just to exclude any undetected medical causes for the crying/static weight - could be something as simple as a urine infection

That's all just want to send you a big ^hugme^ - and that is special cos I never normally bother with emoticons! You are doing a grand job and everything you are feeling is normal. Your HV sounds lovely and sure you will feel better after seeing her tomorrow.

Good luck

Sue xx

P.S. You say you are pumping and topping up and still having some left over to freeze - your supply is probably not as bad as you think.

P.P.S When you say diarrhoea, how bad is it? Are you sure its not just BF baby exploders?

P.P.P.S One final final thought has anyone considered the possibility of too much milk - called lactose overload and causes screaming and frothy green poos (I ask cos my DD had it around 4-7 weeks of age) - have a look on the Australian Breastfeeding Association website - there is a good article. It may be that you have a lot of milk but W isn't taking a lot in cos of his poor suck, but what he's getting is the foremilk??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts