Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Anyone know which anti-histamines are safe to take during pregnancy?

Thanks

Annette

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I also would like the answer to this .
armi
xox

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I took benadryl for the whole of last summer, with the full consent of midwife and GP.

The older (drowsy) antihistamines tend to be rated as safer, the newer ones haven't been around long enough to be 'tested' as safe.

Worth asking a midwife or doc though.

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
You need to speak to your GP as many don't reccomend taking anti-histomines at all (they are a hormone!)
I was banned from taking any and left with a nasal spray, eye drops and balm tissues to cope with whilst pg with Amy. I figured one hellish summer wouldn't kill me and it was worth it in the end.

Do speak to your GP though!

Deb

·
Registered
96 Posts
hi

asked my doctor last week if i could take them as i suffer from prickly heat i come out in blisters on my arms and legs they get really itchy going to see the midwife tomorrow will ask her advice

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

I tried asking the pharmacist today adn she was really unhelpful and told me she couldn't recommend anything without the say so of the GP!

So off to GP on Monday I think,

Annette

·
Premium Member
24,203 Posts
When i had IVIG at my clinic they give you benydryl to take before and after the infusion and it didnt do us any harm  ;) but do consult a Dr before  :-*

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I went to the GP and have been told that nasel sprays and eye drops are fine to use in pregnancy and once you are past 12 weeks if you are absolutely desperate & you can't function properly because of the heyfever then you can take Piriton (NOT the none-drowsy type) but it may then make you sleepy! so to weigh up the pros and cons... but I use the nasel spray every day and use my eye drops when they become too itchy! BUT check with your GP!!

Hope this helps a little?

Ruthie xx

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone!

I've found something called Haymax that you rub around the nostril and is meant to catch pollen before it reaches the nose!  Bit of a fiddle to be honest but its states clearly its safe in pregnancy!  I'll let you know if it works!

Annette

1 - 10 of 10 Posts