Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies,

Has anyone been treated with valtrex anti-viral medication as part of the immune problems ivf protocol?
I test negative for Herpes (recurrently positive for chlamydia and with elevated NKs), but my husband is positive and his doctor suggested that I should probably take valtrex too during our upcoming IVF.

I did not see any reference to anti-virals in FAQ section.

Thanks,
pepper

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi Pepper,
Penny from Serum does use Valtrex - my dh gets a few coldsores a year and I had Bells Palsy in 2004, both related to the herpes virus and so I have been prescribed Valtrex for my IVF cycle.  Penny seems to have ahd some success using it.

Will you and your dh take it ?  I have a private prescription from Greece and it is quite expensive - over £100.  Am hoping to ask my GP to prescribe instead but seems sensible for us both to take it ?

Thx
Helen

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
I think the general idea is that symptomless infection by herpes simplex (the cold sore virus) and herpes zoster (the chickenpox/shingles virus) might cause inflammation in the urogential tract e.g., increasing cytokines like TNFa, leading to reduced sperm count in men and a reduced chance of inflammation in women - and so taking antivirals might help reverse the problem

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9706490

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19459485

/links

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ladies,

Helen, have you or your husband tested positive for herpes? And when are you instructed to take the medication? During stimms, I suppose?

I live in Greece and I do have prescription for valtrex, since my husband is diagnosed with genital herpes. He takes the medication regularly, and especially during ivf, so that we avoid having the virus in the sperm. The question is-as per his dc's advise--if i should also take valtrex regardless of the fact that I test negative for herpes. The logic is that the "omnipresent" virus caused an immunological reaction to my body which lowers our chances of implantation.

Any more experiences with this issue?

Best,
pepper

1 - 4 of 4 Posts