Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm hoping someone here can help me ensure I ask the doctor the right questions; I've just come back from an appointment at my GP's to get my HIV /HepC results as they needed updating and got a printout to take to my clinic. On this I noticed that a test for Antibodies to Thyroid PeroxidaseAntibodies (performed last year as part of a suite of tests to check if there was a reason for my IVF failures) actually showed a weak positive (despite the GP saying previously it was OK, ironically it was the only one back late last time and wasn't on the last print I received.) The reading is 143u/ml. My TSH at the time was 1.41mu/L and Serum free T4 as 12.6pmol/L (both normal I think).

Both my TSH and T4 have recently been repeated (I'm just waiting for the results) but I'm worried that something is being missed especially as I have a very vlose relative who developed thyroid problems at about my age. What else should I be asking my GP to do? (I'll obviously contavct my clinic)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hi Katiekat,

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid, although I do apologise as this probably won't be much help to you at all....i'm useless at remembering all the levels/figures etc!!! One thing I would say is discuss the relative with your GP, I was referred to an endocrinologist who said it can often be a hereditary condition. Don't panic either....there are lots of things that can be done to rectify any thyroid probs!!

Sorry I couldn't be any more help but i'm sure someone will come along that can help with what levels/hormones should be etc!

Rach xxx

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Hi KatieKat,

I was in the same boat as you.  TSH 1.8 and a weak positive ATA level at 113.  I do have a multinodular goitre so was aware of problems with my thyroid.  My clinic (ARGC) precribed thyroxine during my treatment and I got a BFP on my first cycle with them.  My first clinic had just dismissed my thyroid problems as not relevant. 

You need to get your doctors to take these results seriously and work with you.

HTH

Lx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts