Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just found out I have anticardiolipin igm positive results from my last blood test.  I know this means that I have clotting problems which is causing the miscarriages and I will need Heparin injections till 6 weeks after a successful birth.  But what does it mean in term of my health etc.. as I have looked on the internet and it seems to be related to Lupus and  arthritis ... neither of which I want or would want to pass on if I could achieve successful pregnancy.  So was wondering whether  anyone could give me a bit more of an idea what these test results actually mean in terms of health rather than in terms of IVF treatment.

Thanks.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi Kate

I too got this result afew weeks ago. It was one of my level 1 immune tests that my GP did for me. The surgery said all my results were fine, but 3 weeks later i got a call from George Ndukwe my doc for this IVF cycle at CARE notts, to say that my anti cardiolipin antibodies were extremely high and he would need me to be on 40 clexane throughtout ivf and preg too, if it works.

I have been trawling the internet to see what else i can find out. not alot alas...but, it does mean clotting problems and a much raised chance of stroke, Deep vein thrombosis, miscarriage. I will be taking aspirin every day, i'm pretty sure thats for ever...tho i need to clarify this.

My VERY ROUGH personal research seems to suggest that it is an APS (anti phospholipid syndrome)...i think. if you look up APS online there is info about it. I am going back to CARE this weekend and will ask ALOT more questions about general health when i actually get to see george, cos i haven't been able to yet.
I'm sorry i can't be of more help  :(
keep in touch and i will let you know of anything helpful i am told.

My close family do have several autoimmune illnesses - type 1 diabetes, thyroid probs and endometriosis. I understand they are associated with the cardiolipns and come in 'clusters' within families.

Sammi x

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hi there,
i have antiphospholipid syndrome, lupus, sjogren's & thyroid probs - the whole jolly package!
main symptom i got from the APS was really bad migraine, and a couple of mini- strokes. I'm on lifelong warafrin now, and need to take clexane at 1.5mg/kg bodyweight when I ever get pg. To sort out any possible auto-immune disease - independently of pregnancy - I strongly recommend the Lupus Unit at st Thomas in London, esp dr David D'Cruz. They accept NHS referrals from all over UK.
I'm happy to chat more by PM, don't want to bore everyone senseless here,
L x

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Hi I've also tested positive for APS (in my case it's Lupus anticoagulant) I haven't spoken to my consultant yet as I have to find out the results of my retest that I had today. I tried asking my Dr but he was very vague, looked a bit confused said it was rare, and one of those weird and wonderful things  :( . All my level 1 tests were negative apart from this one, hopefully I won't have to wait too long to get some answers.
salx

·
Premium Member
15,891 Posts
kate:  if your question was whether you will pass on anticardiolipin antibody activity to any children, its probably not likely.  anticardiolipins are auto-immune antibodies.  its not an inherited thrombophilia like MTHFR - its not something that you are born with, although as with all auto-immune issues you can inherit a general tendency towards auto-immune issues... but there are so many auto-immune issues (particularly as you get older), if everyone who had a family history of them decided not to have kids to avoid passing them on, there'd be hardly anyone with children!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts