Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I鈥檓 hoping to find someone in the same boat to advise on how to deal with our situation.After a year of trying, my partners SA has come back and he has 98% anti sperm antibodies 馃槱

After researching this condition, it was clear to me that the only way to conceive is through ICSI, particularly because of the high level of antibodies.

However today after our first fertility appointment the Doctor has said it is not recognised as a cause of infertility so he won鈥檛 put us on the waiting list for another year! My CCG (west Berkshire) is notoriously tight with criteria - aged 34 is the cut off for treatment, and I turn 33 in a few months. If my calculations are correct, i will turn 35 just a few months after being put on a waiting list, and will then be cut off.

Im hoping there is something I鈥檓 missing and the situation can鈥檛 be this dire 馃檹

Does anyone else have experience here and with these horrible antibodies?

Feeling a bit defeated!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello,

I鈥檓 hoping to find someone in the same boat to advise on how to deal with our situation.After a year of trying, my partners SA has come back and he has 98% anti sperm antibodies 馃槱

After researching this condition, it was clear to me that the only way to conceive is through ICSI, particularly because of the high level of antibodies.

However today after our first fertility appointment the Doctor has said it is not recognised as a cause of infertility so he won鈥檛 put us on the waiting list for another year! My CCG (west Berkshire) is notoriously tight with criteria - aged 34 is the cut off for treatment, and I turn 33 in a few months. If my calculations are correct, i will turn 35 just a few months after being put on a waiting list, and will then be cut off.

Im hoping there is something I鈥檓 missing and the situation can鈥檛 be this dire 馃檹

Does anyone else have experience here and with these horrible antibodies?

Feeling a bit defeated!
*to add - we are only given one cycle of treatment in this postcode as well.

Registered
I'm sorry but that sounds very wrong to me.

Regardless of the cause , you've been trying for a year . You do not need an identified cause of infertility to be referred for ivf. And ASAB is absolutely a cause of infertility.

Ask them if they refuse treatment to couples with unexplained infertility and call their bluff.

I would absolutely take this further and make a complaint
Best of luck

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry but that's not
acceptable.
Your GP has no prerogative to refuse your referral based on the fact that he or she is clearly ignorant and not heard of ASB.
Regardless of the cause , you've been trying for a year and would qualify for treatment with unexplained infertility anyway. You do not need an identified cause of infertility to be referred for ivf.

Please take this further and make a complaint asap.
It's no acceptable
Best of luck
Thanks Jade - I find the whole system incredibly backwards and frustrating and we aren鈥檛 even on the list yet!

Do you have these too? The lack of information & support for men is unbelievable!

Registered
Sorry I edited my post as I read your 1st one wrong and thought it was the gp u were dealing with

1 - 5 of 5 Posts