Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
At the moment we only have one car, which DH uses to go to work every day.  I go to work by bus so don't need a car at the moment, but we're going to get a second car for when the babies come.  The car we already have is a vauxhall astra (family sized hatchback) which I thought would be big enough for us and the two babies plus luggage/baby stuff, so we were going to get a smallish car just for DH to use for work.  BUT people are telling me the Astra won't be big enough and that we'll need an estate car?

What do you think?  I need advice from all you ladies out there with twins !!  I've browsed around these threads and can't find anything about car sizes....

Thanks very much in advance,

Daisy70 xx

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
It depends on what pram you get. Some are HUGE! You, DH and twins would be fine in the Astra but it's all the clobber you have to take with you! Obviously the prem and then there's if you go away - 2 travel cots, pram, luggage.... :eek:

I have to say we have a Galaxy now. We had a skoda estate at first but with me DH, twins and DD we really struggled. We had the Jane twin 2 pram and then the Mini City Jogger but once that was in the boot there was little room for anything else (plus poor DD was squashed between 2 screaming babies!) So we sold it and got the Galaxy - lovely  :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
as slinky says the biggest you can afford ! We have a ford KA and it is hell, we can't afford a newer bigger car and as a result we can't go anywhere cos I cant fit us twins and all the gear in the crap KA, I can't eben doa  big food shop with twins with me as I always have to use back seast aswell as tiny boot for my shopping, you def need bigger  than you think you will as there is so much totakw with you, if you only went for a day trip you needs pram, change bag, clothes, food, and a night or weekend away means even more, cots, luggage etc etc etc

I hate that our girls are over 2yrs old and we have never been able to go anywhere as our car won't let us ! :-(

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
daisy - I have a Ford Focus which is similar size to your Astra. The Mountain Buggy and Easywalker side by side pushchairs will definitely not fit in the boot. The Baby Jogger City Mini and 360 Nipper side by side will - with enough space to chuck some bags in on top/around as well. I have not tested it with tandems as I decided I wanted a side by side quite early on...

I know that ideally I need to change the car for a bigger one, but right now is not the time for me to take a car loan when I am about to go on maternity leave etc. My plan is to keep the Focus for the first 18mths or so, whilst the babies are little, then switch to a bigger car when I get back to work and they are a bit bigger

So I think, depending on your pram choice, you'd be OK with your Astra for a while at least, but longer term you'll probably find you want something bigger....

Suitcase
x

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I don't think you need a huge car. We have a Citroen Picasso and we have three children. It hasn't been a problem. We do use a roof box when we go on holiday though.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
As the others have said - boot size is everything! We have a ford Kuga and our gracco quattro duo only just fits - any shopping has to be strategically balanced on top of the buggy and in all the footwells.
When we go away down to coast to visit fil its a squeeze with bags and stuff but we manage. We have to roof bars so will probably end up investing in a roof box too at some point for our trips away especially after new arrival.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
One thing I do like about having gone for SUV/4x4 type vehicle is the height as much easier for getting the infant seats in and out and now loading the kids in and out

G

·
We have a Zafira which is fine since we only have the 2 children.  It's not gigantic so easy to park and the height is good for lifting children in and out of.
The boot space is brilliant since we rarely use the 3rd row of seats. 
We easily got the following in regularly:
Jane Powertwin Pro
2 travel cots
luggage
steriliser
nappies.
We've never had shoppping issues with getting that in as well as the double buggy.  Well, part from when we bought a 40" tv and stand on a whim  ;)  I walked the monsters home in the buggy, it wasn't far!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all your replies, it's all been very helpful.  Especially helpful about the types of buggies, we will definitely be checking different ones sizes for fitting them in the car boot.  We are planning to get the side-by-side type.
I'll keep looking on here anyway to see if anyone else has any more top tips for me!
Thanks again,
Daisy70 xx

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I bought a nissan almera just before girls were born, it fitted the Phil & Teds Sport double and the nipper 360 but not really any opther options. Oh, mini city jogger, as I tried Slinkys one in the boot one time.  BUT, we had a second bigger car for longer journeys.

The other problem I found with the medium family hatchback car, is from about 18 months, their legs were too long to fit comfortably behind both seats. Could have been the combination of tall parents and awkward seats.....but anyway, we have now sold the almera and I have the qashqui and DH has a new (to him) car.

See how your one works for a while, you wont really know until they arrive. But, if you find you cant fit any of the buggioes you like in there it could be time to think of changing now, iot used to really frustrate that buggy options were so limited.

Congrats on twindom  :)

Sal

·
Premium Member
7,539 Posts
We had a Nissan X-trail that was really quite large, but have swapped it for a Ford Galaxy which is perfect and rather large. I'm not very good at traveeling light and we go abroad a fair bit also.

Karenanna xxx

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a Citroen C4 Picasso just before our twins arrived. Second hand ones are good value. The car has loads of room but is not so big that it is difficult to drive down car lined streets, or tricky to park.
I chose the Picasso as it has two ISO fix points in the rear, a big boot for everything you need (I have got our iCandy double buggy, two moses baskets with stands, plus loads of general stuff when we have gone away for weekends), and feels really roomy inside due to the panoramic front windscreen whichgoes up into teh roof.
One thing I would recommend with the Picasso is the space in the cabin - we have an automatic, and the 'quirky' layout of the stick shift over the steering wheel, and handbrake button on the dashboard gives loads of room to easily move between the front seats to get into the rear to comfort babies without having to get out and try to climb between the car seats. I would recommend sitting inside one to see what I am trying to describe.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hi,

We had a Ford Focus ST and got the Phil and Ted side by side, fit fine with one back wheel removed (easy to do), but not much space left for anything else. Also on another note we had problems fitting 2 rearward facing seats in the back due to DH being 6' tall and having the drivers seat so far back. We ended up having to disable the passenger airbag and putting one baby in the front seat and one behind him poor old me had to squash in behind DH, he has a bad back so could not move his seat position due to the pain, all was ok if i drove.
We changed to a BMW 5 series estate car when the twins were 1 and we were planning a holiday as there is no way we could have gone away in the focus.
My friend with 3 kids has just got a c4 and loves it. We looked at the ford Smax and may consider this next time but DH was not ready to give up his nice sportier car just yet, boys and their toys and all that.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
We had a Peugeot 307 5-dr hatch which isn't that big - and we managed fine.  It fit an iCandy OK in the boot and we also took it on holiday with no problems with all the gear, except the iCandy as we took a Maclaren twin techno stroller.  I don't think you need a massive car - however now we do need a massive car!

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
We bought our buggy without thinking about the boot space and lo and behold my renault scenic boot wasnt big enough so we switched to a citroen picasso.  Its boot is massive but with my horrid twin two buggy its a massive squeeze. All shopping etc has to go on the back floor, so yes, definately all has to do with what buggy you buy. please dont go for jane twin two!! its just too big and heavy, i hate mine.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
That's so true.  We quickly got a secondhand 'car buggy' (the Maclaren) which is so much easier to put down and up than the iCandy!

We had a Citroen Picasso as a hire car though, and it was great.

·
Registered
161 Posts
We have a Zafira and like other have said its great with just the twins, plenty of boot space and we can even squeeze the pram and two dogs in the boot, so we can all go for a family walk, definitely try your pram in the intended boot before, have a friend who has to take the wheels of before it fits, not to onerous I hear you say, but really not a nice job after a country walk (cow pats and all!!!!)

MO 

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi, we had a fiat punto to start with...although we could fit our Jane Powertwin in and a bit of shopping we couldn't fit much else in! We've now got a Galaxy and I have to say it is lovely, it's diesel and is good on miles per gallon (considering the size!). Plenty of room for two travel cots etc when going away and it has 7 full size seats so great for taking grandparents out with us etc.. that's the only thing that put me off the zafira was that the two back seats were quite squashed, we definitely wanted 7 spacious seats.

Beth x

G

·
The middle seat of the Zafira is not a full sized seat so I think Vauxhall were pushing it a little.  A Zafira will seat 6 adults comfortably and a slim child who only needs a booster seat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts