Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had 3 fresh cycles in the past year - 1st was cancelled due to overstimulation (NHS - over 40 folicles) 2nd was understimulated (2 eggs made 1 embryo which took to become an ectopic in my only remaining tube) and 3rd cycle (private and paid for £5,000 - produced 14 eggs & 10 embryo's) 2 transfered (grade 1 at 4 cells) and a result (HCG under 1) totally did not even try to implant! even though  I felt pregnant! there was nothing there - my dilema - is that I now have 8 frosties (have never done FET before) and have my follow up consultaion next week and what do I ask?
Is my womb totally mucked up that it does not implant an embryo (hence ectopics?)
or are there specific questions that I can ask - as I  just cannot afford any more private TX for fresh cycles and pray that my 8 frosties are the ones that will work - having never had frosties before am I counting my chickens before they hatch or do frosties really work and also my plan is to de-frost 4 and go for blastocyst - is this possible or will I have to de-frost ALL 8???
Please help if you can

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hi Mollieboo,

When we had FET in November they told us they like to have at least 8 to take them to blast.  They said that if there we less than that and none made it to blast then they would not be able to draw any conclusions from that.  It would be possible to defrost 4 (think they are frozen in twos) and if you really wanted to try then they probably would do it.  Good luck for your consultation - I hope you get some answers.

Sue x

·
Registered
921 Posts
Mollieboo,

So sorry to hear of your difficult experiences, it is very hard to keep the faith at times isn't it?  ^hugme^

First, I'd say that I don't think your results indicate that your womb is not able to get pregnant and also the fact you had an ectopic shows that you can produce viable embies.  Certainly, ask about taking the frosties to blasts, I'm sure each clinic has it's own parameters for these things and they may let you try with 4 (most clinics like around 5 normal embryos at day three to try for blast on a fresh cycle).

You might also want to ask about immune testing to see if you would benefit from steroids (although this is quite expensive) as this could be causing the problem.  I had an ectopic followed by a chemical pregnancy and have since found that my immune system is overactive which is probably what caused the chemical (the ectopic progressed further cos there are no killer cells in the fallopian tubes).

Best of luck,
Kath

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks both of you - Im hoping to get at least 2 FET's from my frosties cause Im sick of stimulation (done it 3 times in last year) but that is really interesting about the immune issues Katz - I will find out more about this!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had my consultation and the synopsis is that I can take all 8 to blastocyst (£2,000) and freeze any viable extra's or - I can defrost 4 and go to day 3 transfer (for £1,200) and if there are over 2 viables I can re-freeze them - what do u advise?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hi Mollieboo,

It's a difficult one isn't it?  Did they have any comments about why they think the previous cycles didn't work?

One question is how experienced are your clinic with blastocysts?  If they are good, then it might be worth taking them all to blast as you would then have more info about your embryos if nothing else (obviously hopefully with a pregnancy to boot  ^hugme^).  It would also be cheaper in the long run.

However, I'm not sure how well embryos withstand the freeze/thaw process in terms of whether they would withstand it twice, especially at blast stage as they are so delicate.  So basically, I'm wondering whether you would have to be realistic about the future viability of any remaining embryos that were re-frozen?  Did they comment on this?  If not, maybe it's worth speaking to the embryologists to find out their opinion?

At my last clinic, they only froze embryos that reached blast stage because they got a good result from the FETs for this so it might mean you have a better chance but ultimately, if the embryo is viable then it is viable, whether it reaches blast in the lab or in you.

I think you have to go with your gut feeling, if you'd like two FETs then maybe take the day 3 option as I do think that is slightly more likely to give you two FETs as it reduces some of the risks of the freeze /thaw process (I've had a blast damaged by the thaw process in the past and have known people to have the FET cancelled due to it).

Best of luck with your decision, I don't think there is an obviously right or wrong decision here, so I would really do what feels right for you.  ^hugme^ ^hugme^

Kath
xxxxxxxxxx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts