Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am sat waiting for THE call from my clinic to hear whether any of my 6 eggs have fertilised.  I'm a bag of nerves! 

To keep my mind off things I thought I'd ask you ladies whether any of you have any experience of clexane?  I have recently had two early miscarriages, so I had the Level 1 RIF blood tests done.  Thankfully they all came back as ok, but my consultant has suggested that it might be worth me taking clexane and baby aspirin this time as a precaution.

Has anyone else had clexane when no obvious problems were detected?  I am happy to try anything that will give me a better chance of success, but wondered if this is common practise?  I have read that the injections can be very painful (which I'm not looking forward to), but I will do anything if it gives me a better chance of a baby.

What are the benefits?  I know that it thins the blood, but how does this help?  Also any tips for pain free injections would be useful!  ;)

Any help or advice very gratefully received.

Thanks,

Willow

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
Bump

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi Willow Moon

my blood results came back with raised anticardiolipin antibodies, which means i have antiphospoholipid syndrome (aka Hughes Syndrome, or sticky blood). so i have been taking clexane and 75mg aspirin. after 2 mc's i am now pg at last and all going well. i take the daily injection - it's not painful in my experience. the clexane is an anticoagulant, and the aspirin thins the blood. both help the blood flow through the placenta so the baby gets enough nutrition and oxygen, it also helps the placenta to develop properly - without treatment the placenta may not embed properly, or get clots in it. generally with this syndrome the risky times are early and late pg.

i'd query your anticardiolipin antibodies levels with your doctor, is this why he is giving you the clexane? i haven't heard before of anyone being given it simply as a precaution, as mc's can be for lots of different reasons.

good luck x

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi willow, hope you have received your call now and have some good news. x i just wanted to say that I too have been prescribed clexane after a m/c and clear level one tests. lets hope this cycle is successful for us both xx

·
Registered
308 Posts
have just revised my opinion of how painful the injections are! it's been so long now i have got used to them, but the needle on the prefilled syringe are thicker than those normaly used in ivf, so it does hurt more - i just poke around until i find a numb-ish spot!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies Ladies. 

I think I understand what it is used for now and it is great to hear that it has helped to sustain a pregnancy too!  To be honest I am willing to give anything a go!  I hadn't realised that you took baby aspirin aswell?  So one is to prevent clotting and the other to thin the blood?

I finally got the call to say that three of my six eggs had fertilised normally.  I am hoping and praying that they go on to develop normally, so that I have some to replace on Thursday.

Good luck with your pregnancy LHR72!  I hope you continue to find the numb spots!  I have just put some ice cube trays in the freezer in preparation for starting the evil jabs!

Hakunamatata - good to hear that others have had the same advice.  Wishing you lots of luck and here's hoping it does the trick for us!

Willow x

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I brought myself one of those kiddies gel packs a mr bump one to be precise - I keep it in back of fridge - just enough to numb area before - be confident putting needle in - you get used to them I find some hurt more than others but not a drama.

Great news on your embies.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Wonderful news on your embies willow, you'll soon be pupo xxx good luck for thurs x

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the "Mr Bump" tip Morrigan.  I like the idea of that!  Less messy than ice cubes too!

I heard at lunchtime that my three embies have divided and all three are looking ok.  Just praying that they will make it to transfer tomorrow.

Thanks for the good luck wishes Hakunamatata.

Willow x

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hey Willow moon

Hope ET went well.  I got really big bruises with the clexane that seem so grow with each day.  I found arnica cream really helped with them.

Spring
xxx

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
how is your 2ww going willow??

spring flower sorry to hear about the bruising, thats something to look forward to. are you cycling at the moment??

·
Registered
349 Posts
No not yet.  I tested postive for hidden c so am waiting for a retest, fibngers crossed I've cleared it and then can start the immune treatment.  Dont think I'll be cycling again until June/July time. Boo!

The brusing isnt too bad esp when you get used to it.  At first i was so scared, thought I was having a reaction to it but apparently its normal as its a blood thinner. 

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
i wont say the old cliche that it will go quickly till june july because in fact it doesnt, but lets hope if we get some sunshine it will be a bit more bareable for you xx

·
Registered
349 Posts
You know if I clear hidden c I will be happy to wait!  So desperate to get rid of it.  But yes the sunshine always makes everything better!

Have you had your FET yet?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
no ive got my lining scan on tues and then they will wake up my babies who were frozen on fertilisation and try and develop them to blasts xx

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Hi,

The trick I have found with Clexane is to inject as slowly as humanly possible, I haven't had a single bruise for about 3 weeks now.

Springflower - I have just recently got a BFP while still testing positive for hidden C, and using antibiotics during my cycle, just hoping it keeps going to plan.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
congrats hoping and praying, thanks for the tip on clexane xxxx

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Ladies,

Thanks for the arnica tip Springflower, I will get some tomorrow.  I have also read that you should take 1500mg of calcium supplements too as clexane can decrease bone density?  I tried to get some at Holland and Barratt today but they only had calcium with magnesium and I'm not sure that it would be good to have so much magnesium?

I am sorry to hear about your hidden C and hope that you can sort things out so you can cycle in the summer.  It's always easier to get up for those early mornings scan/blood appointments when the sun is out and when you dont have to defrost the car in the dark! ;-)

Hakunamatata - good luck with your lining scan next week.  Here's hoping for some lovely juicy blasts from your frozen embies!

Hoping & Praying - Congratulations on your BFP!!  Thanks for the tip about going slowly.  I have only done two so far and both were veeeeeery slow as I was quite apprehensive about how much it would hurt!  So far so good.  A bit sore, but no bruising....yet!

AFM - I feel sooooo lucky to have had all three embryos replaced (I am 40, so it's allowed for us old folk!).  They had all got a wriggle on and two of them were 8 cell (grade 2) and one was a 6 cell (grade 2).  I couldn't believe it when they told me!  I managed not to cry, but keep looking at the photograph with a big soppy smile on my face!

I've been doing the clexane jabs and they've been ok.  I know that they are very unpredictable though, so will probably always be wary of them.  I am considering taking baby aspirin too. Belt and braces so to speak! LOL!  Has anyone else combined the two?

Thanks,

Willow

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hi Willow

congrats on having 3 gorgeous embies on board  ^reiki^  ^reiki^  ^reiki^

you've had some brill advice  :)  i injected clexane all through my pregnancy so got used to the bruises as sometime its hard to avoid them but using an ice pack, letting the 'pinch' go once the needle is in and injecting very slowly will help

also, get you calcium tabs from asda/tesco etc....you'll have to take 2 tabs per day and the dose is lower but no magnesium and alot cheaper ;)

hope that helps and good luck
Suze xx

·
Registered
308 Posts
i find i bleed and bruise more easily on thighs than i do on tummy. also agree to do it slowly, and i do it at 45 degree angle. only bruise occasioanlly - did get massive ones at first but only little ones now. yes, nurse told me to inject air bubble too. i always have a plaster to hand just in case!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts