Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just wondered if any of you may have some advice for me??!! Me and DH have secondary fertility probs(DH poor motility/form) and we are on an 8 month waiting list for two attempts of IUI with the NHS.

We have been looking into private treatment but as many of you know it's not cheap!!We have been to our GP who has given us a couple of numbers to call to see if we could be entitled to funding for part of the treatment.

So really I was just wondering if any of you are having similar problems and if you have any hints/tips of anything we could do to get more info on funding??

Thanks for reading

Kelly x ;D ???

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Hiya Kelly,
I hope you dont mind me barging in on this too as I was also wondering same thing, I have secondry infertlity but was told as I already have children from a previous marriage, even though dh has none we have to self fund.
I feel at a loss as what to do next, someone suggested to me to ask about egg sharing, but I have a blood disorder so dont think I would be able to do this anyway.
Any advice would be great.
Love Charleyxxx

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hi Kelly

Re free treatment- this will depend upon the area that you live in. You could try your Primary Care Trust Headquarters (your GP surgery will have the number) to see what they will fund.

Also, we had male factor and were told that we would have to pay privately if we wanted any more children. Sorry I cant be off any help.

Good luck.

Jeanettexx

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hiya all,

Jeanette- Thanks for your reply. I have called my GP and got the number for the primary care trust and I am gonna try calling today!! wish me luck ???
And congrats on your bun in the oven!! Well done!!

Charley- that is awfull about being refused funding because you already have children. Those people just dont understand do they?? If only they could feel the way we feel for a short while then they might start to understand what were fighting for.As regards to the egg sharing. The only thing I can suggest if you havent already done it,is to go to an open evening at your local private clinic and see what they have to say.

I have heard nothing but good reports about all the info people have got when attending them. Me and DH are booked into two open evenings at our nearest private clinics and I just want to get started now!!

I will keep you posted!! Good luck

Kelly x ^reiki^ ;D ;) ^reiki^

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Hiya Kelly,

Funding does seem to come down to what your PCT wants to do.

I am lucky in that when Clomid failed I was automatically put straight forward for IUI, not even put on a waiting list.  That cycle was abandoned due to no response and now I'm waiting to go in for Lap and diathermy next month.  We will then hofully get straight back on with teh IUI, for which I have been told I'll be given 3-4 attemps.  Saying that the tx is not 100% free as we will have to pay Nuffield £80 for the sperm washing or whatever it is they do, everything else is NHS funded, I just get the drugs on prescription.

May be worth finding out if at least they'll help with the cost of the drugs.

Hope that helps

Emma xx

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Emma,

Thanks for the reply!! I spoke to the general medical council today and because we already have one child we are not entitled to any funding towards any private tratment or drugs! They say that is because the government is apparently doing enough in our area(ie one hospital miles from us that offers 2 attempts at IUI and nothing else!!)

We really cant afford to go private so I think we will just have to wait for the NHS appointment-I called the fertility nurse at our hospital today and I havent even had the proper tests needed before having IUI. So my consultant is a big t**t!!!

And I was initially told it was 6 month waiting list-than 8!!! Now it's 10 months.Don't you just love the NHS??!!

Sorry to rant but I have had enough!!!

Kelly x

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi im millie80.

My partner and I have been ttc for 2 yrs now and have finally had test results back and have been told that if the next set of tests are similar then the next step is IVF or IUI.  The consultant told us that we have to pay for it as we both have children. (1 together and he has 1 from a prev partner)  I agree totally with you that every1 should be given funding with treatment  because theres no way we will be able to pay the £3000 and £300 that these procedures cost..... They really must have no idea what we are going through :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi MILLIE80,

Sorry to hear about you problems.are you with the nhs???
I think me and dh have only just got over the fact that we cant get any help with funding from the nhs for iui.

we are still on the waiting list with our hospital(waiting list was ten months)we should hopefully be having our first iui in july and i am so impatient but very excited.

Have you telephoned your local pct ,it is always a good thing to keep checking as they change their guidlines all the time!!!!!

Best of luck

Kelly x ^daisy^

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Kelly

Thank you for your reply..  To be honest I wasnt sure that there were any waiting lists with the nhs for us as the con said that we wouldnt get help and that we would have to go private.  We do have to go back in Apr as my DP has to provide another sample.  He told us that if we had the same result that the next step was refferral to Cardiff and it would cos us IVF £3000 or IUI £300 at Abergavenny.  I will phone to see the doctor at my clinic tomoro

Thank you again xxxx

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi millie,

Just wanted to wish you good luck at the doctors!!!sometimes its like your talking to a brick wall!!! Dont leave until you get all the info you want!!!!

Kelly x ^daisy^

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi ladies what really hacked ME off with the lack of NHS tx was that i was told -if i had lied and told them my dd didnt live with me i would then get NHS tx because they dont check your stats they just take ur word 4 it!!!!!!!I wish i was told this b4 hand,i would deffo have lied ;D(i have a dd from a previous relationship but dh has male factor and has no kids)I really feel the system has cheated us and it's all because of blooming politics,come on tony blair has a spare 20million for tsunami but not a single penny for NHS.In scotland you have a 6year wait just to get registered with a DENTIST.Don't get me wrong,i really feel for the victims of Tsunami but if we cant afford to get dental tx within 6yrs then we cant afford 20 million for ANY other countries!!HELP US FIRST_ITS OUR MONEY!!!!! I know im alone on this one but sorry i really feel strongly about this!Love to u all-SKYE :-*

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Skye,

You are not totally alone on this one!!! I feel the same as you regarding the Tsunami-it was terrible and it did upset me!! I did donate some money cos I wanted to do my bit!!! But your right our country needs alot of sorting!!And it is bound to upset us as we are having trouble with funding.Im sure other people in the uk have all sorts of situations where they feel let down by mr blair ^shake^ but there is diddly squat we can do about it!!!!

just wanted to let ya know you were not alone!!!!

Kelly x ^daisy^

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Girls you are so not alone!!!! I have been ttc for the past nine years and finally saw some light at the end of the tunnel with the NICE report.... BUT then the sledge hammer.... If you already have children forget it they wont help!!!!!!!! how long have I spent paying for wars and people to sit on their  ^shake^ unemployed to get not a penny when I really need it..... you see girls our problem is that we are not I'll its not an emergency in their eyes and therefor not a major problem... but when in a few years there aren't enough people working to pay for us to retire (we lose out again) it will be a big problem as there wont be funding for a plaster let alone anything else!!!

sorry i just had to rant its been a real bug bear for me the past few years that you can go and have a sex change on the NHS but they wont help you have a child!!!!!  ^tantrum^ ^tantrum^ ^tantrum^ ^tantrum^ ^tantrum^ ^tantrum^

Debs
xxxxx

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Debs,

Rant away!!!!Another thing that gets me is that I am asthmatic and I also suffer from nut allergies!!! I have to have prescriptions for two inhalers for the asthma and two adrenaline pens if I have a bad reaction to any nuts or nut products!!! So I have to pay for all of the drugs and I was born with these problems therefore they are not my fault yet people who have drug problems which is there choice get all their treatment and come down drugs like methodone paid for by our f*****G money!!!!!!

Maddness!!!!!!!!

Kelly x ^daisy^

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi.. i'm in a similar position in that I'm going for IUI with Clomid on my next cycle.  My PCT cover IUI but not IVF if you have a child living with you. On a positive note for from April 1st, due to NICE ( [email protected] not sure if it's a report or requirements set out by NICE) they are changing their policy and providing IVF to parents who do not have children under 18 living with them. THis is just my PCT but it's worth chasing up the PALS department at your PCT to see how they are changing their policy for the next financial year.  good luck.
Nadia

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Kelly,

sorry to hear about your allergies, they are not pleasant are they to say the least!

its a crazy world we live in to be sure...... thankfully we also live in an age where computers have become a huge part of our lives and so we can have a rant and a moan on here and KNOW we aren't going mad or being selfish (thats always been my issue, feeling selfish/jealous of other peoples pg's) so we have some large things to be thankful for and with a general election coming up maybe we ought to put our votes to bloody good use!!!

Debs
xxxx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts