Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm with ARGC and have tried and failed to start my first ever ICSI (short protocol) over the last 2 months, because my progesterone levels were too high (a rare problem, they say). I'm wondering whether to get a second opinion as time is ticking on (I'm 38 in September). It'd be useful to know which hormones other clinics test before starting the SP. ARGC say they have only recently started testing progesterone in the past few months, and unfortunately that's where I fall down! Annoying, as I got my FSH down from 11.6 to 9 with acupuncture.

Would anyone recommend The Lister, given my FSH history? Any advice would be great! 

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Hi bridget from brum  :)

I've moved your post re short protocol into this section, peer support, pre-treatment.  It's a better place for your post and I think that you will have more replies here.

Best of luck with your treatment.

Sending you lots of  ^reiki^ and  ^fairydust^

Louj x  :)

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
i did short protocol but i never had my progesterone tested?  ???

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I had short protocol at the Bridge and then 2 at ARGC. Can't remember if the Bridge did progesterone although my cycle was a disaster.  ARGC do monitor closely, it might be worth ringing somewhere like the Lister and ask then what they would offer you, as they will treat high FSH that ARGC won't

L x

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi,

I had sp and didn't have progesterone tested either. I had fsh/lh/e2 and amh tested.

Have the clinic explained why high prog is a problem?

Take care,

Karen

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Karen,

Thanks for responding - just hearing from others in the same boat helps. ARGC say that the high prog could affect my response to the stimulation, and that it is as if my hormones are running a week later than my period (make sense?!) The reason for the IVF is severe male factor but it seems I have a few problems too - oh well, it's friendlier to share the blame!

I have spoken to the Lister and will consider going there if ARGC turn me down in June. I can't really get a second opinion from them without requesting copies of my tests from ARGC - they won't tell me anything on the phone. I just need to get started - all these attempts to start are so stressful and involved so much planning with work and staying in London.

It sounds as if you're having fun and games too - best of luck x

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Bridget,

I came across this which might explain it...

"Evaluation of steroid levels at initiation of stimulation

Whether ovarian stimulation should be started in patients with elevated E2 and/or progesterone levels treated with GnRH antagonists was not known in the initial comparative trials between the two analogues. In a prospective study (14) the probability of ongoing pregnancy was compared between patients with normal steroid levels and those with elevated progesterone levels on day 2 of an antagonist cycle (~5% of the total patients). In the latter category, stimulation was started only if progesterone levels returned to normal within 1-2 days. Ongoing pregnancy rate was significantly decreased in these patients compared to those with normal steroid levels at initiation of stimulation (5% vs. 31.8%, respectively). It therefore appears that, similarly to GnRH agonists, the baseline hormonal status of patients treated with GnRH antagonists should be evaluated prior to initiation of stimulation."
Can we improve pregnancy rate in GnRH antagonist protocols for IVF?"

Quoted from Efstratios Kolibianakis, M.D. Ph.D.

Center for Human Reproduction, AristotleUniversity, Thessaloniki, Greece

Correspondence: Efstratios Kolibianakis, M.D. Ph.D.Center for Human Reproduction, AristotleUniversity, Thessaloniki, Greece. e-mail: [email protected]

Received on January 2, 2006;
revised and accepted on February 1, 2006

Don't know if that helps?!
Good luck
x

/links

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Bearfriend, that explains things better for me. Sorry for the late reply - we've had a week in Tenerife to destress before trying again!

Best of luck with your treatment x.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thx - hope you had a good holiday

G

·
Hi there,

I am guessing that if ARGC think this is impt, then it probably is! Though the other side of me says you can not wait forever. I have been treated at the ARGC (a good experience BTW!) and am now at The Lister and I changed purely due to the Lister's experience with higher FSH ladies (they rock!)...this is not to say that ARGC do not do well with these ladies but as they usually wait for levels to come down, their protocols work with FSHs below 10 etc IYSWIM - The Lister however work with your highest FSH (which on reflection makes sense to me as "your eggs are your eggs" and have success with all sorts of numbers!). HOWEVER - you have made a decision to cycle at ARGC, so if it were me I'd keep trying to meet the criteria for a month or so longer and then switch if you do not, as you are right, at 38 time is the most impt thing...Please feel free to PM me for more info if I can help...

Good luck!

xxx

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Lukey, it's good to get some positive feedback on the Lister. As you say, two more tries at ARGC seems a good idea, but I need to start asap. By the way do the Lister do immune blood testing and IVIG, as I have concerns about this and haven't taken it up at ARGC.

All the best with your own treatment x

1 - 12 of 12 Posts