Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband has been diagnosed with a severe case of varicocele and is having an op on 15 November.  We would really appreciate any advice anyone has regarding the operation, recovery time and when it is possible to start TTC again etc.

Many thanks

Kelly

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Kelly,

My DH has just had the Varicocele Embolisation done. Do you Know what your DH is having done?  He recovered within 3 days of the OP. We are still waiting for the effect on the SA.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dear Kelly

My dh had a varicocele operation last june 2004, IT took him 2 weeks to recover from the operation, unfortunately his SA did not show any improvement after the operation(tested after a month and again after 3 months). But I think his count has improved a bit but still we have problems with poor morpholgy and motility.

But in some cases there could be a considerable improvement. We wanted to get this sorted and try naturally before we could go for ICSI.  He is currently on vitamins( zinc, selenium, vitmain E and C). Ask your dh to take vitamins, cut alcohol and wear boxers. Hope this helps

love
selina

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Hi Kelly
My hubbie had his done 3 months ago.  Wished he'd had it done years ago ???  We do not know whether it has been 'successful' or not as we will still need icsi as he has 100% antibodies, which mean that his sperm will always stick together, but we thought that it would be worthwhile as all that heat down there may have been cooking his poor sperm's DNA!!  We were told that if any diffference was to be seen the earliest would be 3 months, but more likely 6-12months as sperm as a 3 month cycle.  Saying that there is a least 1 lady on the FF site, who was successful within weeks (later m/c but then BFP successful within couple of month!).
My DH was operated on surgically with general anaesthetic (rather than embolism, which some men have done as outpatient).  They found 2 varicocele's - large left and a smaller right one.  If they find a right sided one, get them to do that too at the same time!!  My DH took a few days to walk properly and a couple of weeks before he was doing full sport again e.g. lifting heavy gym weights.  He has 2 inch-long scars around his 'bikini area'.  You can TTC as soon as he feels comfortable - some men this is a few days, others its a week or so.  Agree with Selina about the vitamins.  Get a good 1-a-day multi with 100% Vitamin C, Vitamin E, selenium and zinc included and then we added additional 500-1000mg daily of Vitamin C.

Good luck to you and DH.  Hope you do not need icsi, but if you do, you have probably increased your chances of success by having the op done first ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^
Jakex

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your replies. 

My husband has just been for his pre-assessment and been told that he will be under general anaesthetic and during the procedure they will cut an inch gap into the vein and tie it off.  Has anyone else's husbands had this done? 

They could not tell him how long recovery would be, said he will need to speak to his surgeon after the op, so not much help there.

My husband already takes Vitamin C & Zinc combined, Wellman tablets, Proxeed powder and selenium. 

Kelly

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Kelly,

I am the lady Jake mentioned, my partner had an embolisation on his varicocele last spring. It was different to the op your dh is having though, as he had it under local anesthetic and I think he was more or less ok a day or two later.It sounds like your dh is having the same thing that Jake's did.

Obviously I believe this made a huge difference to dp's sperm, as I did get pregnant the next month, but we sadly lost the baby at 13 weeks. I got pregnant again about 8 months after the op, and now have a beautiful daughter, 4 weeks old! I don't think there was much improvement in his actual sperm count when he had a check up a few months after the op, so maybe it just improved the quality?

We also took Marilyn Glenville vits, and dp took vit C, zinc, pycnogenol, flaxseed oil, co enzyme q 10,and tried to cut back on smoking and alcohol!

I hope this helps,

Allison xx

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hello,

My hubby had an embolisation which didn't work and then had the more complicated op.  This didn't have any improvement either (indeed his sperm has got worse) but we still think it was the right thing to do before we started ICSI.

Yvonne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.