Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am a 43 yr old Black British woman, who would like to know, if there are any clinics around that have a black donor.  Not keen on going to the States, would like somewhere closer to home.  Would consider an egg sharing.  Please help.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hi there!
I'm afraid there's no way of knowing other than by contacting the clinics individually & asking to speak to their donor co-ordinator. I'm sure if you explained your request they'd be able to at least tell you if they had black donor(s). If they do have any, make sure they're available to use at the moment!!! There's not much point registering at a clinic who doesn't have any, is there? Surely they must understand that?
Have a look on the HFEA website for details of clinics nearest to you, you'll also be able to check out their success rates for the different types of treatment.
Good luck! x

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hi Devonette
I suggest you check in with the National Gamete Donation Trust who may have good suggestions about which clinics/sperm banks are worth approaching.  www.ngdt.co.uk or 'phone 0845 226 9193.
Best of luck
Olivia

G

·
devonette said:
Hi All,
I am a 43 yr old Black British woman, who would like to know, if there are any clinics around that have a black donor. Not keen on going to the States, would like somewhere closer to home. Would consider an egg sharing. Please help.
Hi Devonette
I am in the same position as you. try the following places where i know they all have one black donor: Louis Hughes (your clinic needs to contact them), London Women clinics, Brigde clinic or Manchester fertility. not sure if you are bothered about not seeing the donors picture but you only get a very brief description like eye colour, skin colour, height, age range.

·
Registered
369 Posts
hi there Carmella,

Did you receive a reply? Can I ask why you have decided to share some of eggs?  As I am interested in people who are interested in doing egg donation.

Lynn E

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am from African origin unfortunately my age is against me as I am 39 years of age.  It would be nice to help.  I wish you all the best.

Cee

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi all. I'm soon to be donating my eggs at the Lister Hospital under the egg share programme. This all should take place in oct 08. I just worry that they wont be able to find me a recipient. The nurse at the hospital does not seem to be a problems but who knows.

I'm of Jamaican heritage and under age 30. Been pregnant twice (naturally)once in 2006 and then in 2007 but unfortunately they have been ectopic pregnancy as my tubes are damaged hence the reason why I'm having IVF.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hi all,

We have had similar issues, as I am mixed race. We have had one failed attempt, (not enough eggs retrieved from the donor). We were told by the consultant at care that we could be waiting 8 years for a donor to come along!! so we are going to cape town fertility clinic for our 2nd try, as there are lots of mixed race/black donors.

I hope everyone is well and happy!!

Rachel xx 

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi Sweetlady,

How does the egg sharing work, I am the recipient but is much older than you. Will they treat. Doesn't Lister clinic have a waiting list for egg donors or would I be required to obtain treatment with you and  jump the queue... I am not sure how this would work. Please advise.

Lynn E.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi there Carmella,

That's a wonderful thing you donating your eggs but isn't your recipient expected to receive treatment parallel with you or are you looking to freeze them. If so, what will be the cost for this bearing in mind the treatment is in Athens.

Rachel,

I hope all is well, Are you able to get through to Cape Clinic, having problems getting through to Lorena IVF co-ordinator, my emails keep bouncing back. Also I wanted to know whether you are making arrangements for having your donor tested before commencing treatment.

Lynn E

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hi Lynn,

I was having trouble sending my medical questionnaire through. wasnt sure what to do, so picked two names from their website and sent it to them!

I know that they have some tests done through Nurture...is that just the psychological testing etc? Should we arrange for others to be done?

Rachel xx

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi there Rachel,

I understand all donors should be screened for FSH, HIV, RPR, Hep A & C and Rubella, they should all be psychological screened by Cape Clinic as well, if you want additional tests such as sickle cell for example, then you must let the clinic know.

With regard to the bouncing back emails to the clinics, Renew is experiencing similar problems, they have informed the clinic of this. Let's hope to receive some improvement within the next few days. 

Let me know how you are getting on through this board or South Africa (part 6 messageboard).

Lynn e

·
Registered
579 Posts
Actually, I know Nurture are having problems too, so maybe it is a Cape Town wide problem! I think the donor is about to go for all of those tests (apart from Sickle Cell). As my partner is white British it is less likely (though not impossible?) that will be a problem. Or so I understand that both parents have to be carriers.....

Have transferred payment tonight, donor is making appointments for her tests, and we have been out and bought guide books on Cape Town!!

Rachel xx

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi there Carmella,

I wish you all the luck with regard to your treatment, keep us posted. Yeah it's shame such a big shortage of black egg donors, me and my husband are having to fly over to South Africa for treatment because we were unable to find a donor here in the UK. But its good news on you deciding to store your eggs for someone else. Once again good luck.

Hi Rachel,

Was able to get through to Cape Town Clinic today, my IVF coordinator Lorean, increase her mail box.  My donor has now been given the all clear, hooray!! So it's all systems go...... due to start my medication next week. So I will be visiting Cape Town for my first appointment on the 22nd Nov....Can't wait. I'm now going to sort our the flight and accommodation. Have you been given any recommendation for places to stay. Please let me know.

Take care for now.

Lynn E

·
Registered
579 Posts
Lynn- we are about the same stage as you - donor is going for tests this week. We are hopefully going to go out January time though - just so we can get money/work sorted first! Our coordinator is Lorean too, and I laughed when I got an email back from the Dr. I had sent one to him saying my emails were bouncing back and I didnt know if there was a problem. he wrote 'see my answers highlighted in red', and then had edited my email to say 'dont worry' to the first bit and 'no' to the second question!!

For accomodation I used the info on the thread on the SA board - and also someone I got talking to on the daisy Network who lives in SA said all the areas on there were lovely, but that Hout Bay is a little far from the clinic and its quite a thin mountain road. We are looking at Constantia, Rondebosch and Newlands and they are supposed to be lovely. We have started a spreadsheet of accomodation...let me know if you want me to send it to you  ;D (I kid you not!!)

Rachel xx

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi there Ladies,

Rachel, I have already booked my flight and now need to sort out the accommodation, so I might take you up on your offer with regard your accommodation spreadsheet, if it is still on offer.  Keep me posted.

Hi Carmella,

Thanks and fingers cross for you!!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Lynn E - Of course! Pm me your email address and I will send it to you. How exciting!

Rachel xx

·
Registered
369 Posts
Rachel,

Just think we could be mums in 2009!!!!! Look forward to your list (if your able to sent it no pressure)

Lynn E

G

·
sweet lady said:
Hi all. I'm soon to be donating my eggs at the Lister Hospital under the egg share programme. This all should take place in oct 08. I just worry that they wont be able to find me a recipient. The nurse at the hospital does not seem to be a problems but who knows.

I'm of Jamaican heritage and under age 30. Been pregnant twice (naturally)once in 2006 and then in 2007 but unfortunately they have been ectopic pregnancy as my tubes are damaged hence the reason why I'm having IVF.
Hello Sweet Lady

did you donate you eggs? How does egg-sharing work?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hi ladies,
I can believe that afro caribbean donors would be in shortage.. but i can't believe it is to the extent that some of you are having to travel abroad!  ^hugme^

Hope 2009 brings lots of BFP for you all.

I'll be starting treatment in Nottingham soon. Researching into egg sharing and still with talks with my DH about offering my eggs for egg sharing... reading this forum has confirmed even more that it can only be a positive thing...

God bless you all..

1 - 20 of 96 Posts