Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies,

Just thought I would start a new topic,hope no-one minds.

I never really used to read much in my late teens, my sister has always been a keen reader and was always trying to pass books on to me but I never bothered!!

Over the last couple of years though I have given it a try and I love it , you will always find me with my head in a good book.

I like easy reading/funny chick lit books(nothing to heavy or taxing on the brain) One author who is absolutley brill is Catherine Alliott.Other ones who are also good but I haven't read much by them are Katie Fforde,Marian Keyes,and Maeve Binchy.

So if any of you out there find that reading helps to occupy your time when you need a break,and if you fancy telling others what you thought of certain books or just to have a chat,here is the place for it!!!!!

Happy reading

Kelly x ^daisy^

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
ohhh Kelly
I'm a voracious reader.

Just finished "In incident of the dog in the nightime" - and now starting Joanne Harris's Holy Fools

Perhaps we should have have a week or two over the summer where we all read the same book?

Fee

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
i love reading too, haven't got a favourite authur or type of book really i'll read almost anything  ;D ;D although i do like stephen king novels

great idea fee it would be cool to share thoughts on the same book, what type do you suggest we read ??

pam xx

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi girls good idea to read the same book

..if anybody is interested Richard and Judy have a book club see Channelfour.com/Richardand Judy and am reading some of those at the mo

they give you a synopsis of the book and a bit about the author

have read The Jane Austen Book Club (disappointing) and now on

Shadow of the Wind Carlos Ruiz will report back and  also love Maeve Binchy
esp Evening Class (about an Italian class and all its members) and fan of Katie FForde too - in fact have some books to swop with anybody else if interested ????

Sarah xx :)

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Fee ~ i read the Curious Incident of the dog........a few weeks ago. Loved it although DH still goes on about he maths puzzle in it!!

My sister got me 'The No1 Ladies Detective Agency' by Alexander McCall Smith......haven't had time to start yet but she says it's really good.

I like loads of stuff really....love Jane Green, really easy to read relaxing in the bath type books :)

Lizzy xxx

·
Registered
537 Posts
I go through stages where I read one book after another and then don't touch one for ages...

I commute into London and the Da vinci code definitely seems to be the book of the moment, though I think its cos the press are making so much of the new education secretary Ruth Kelly being a member of the catholic group its about.....

My favourite author is Martine Cole I have read every one of her books and if I see someone on the train with a new one I have to go out and buy it and read it from cover to cover in days.

I am currently reading a book by Lynda La Plante called 'The Legacy' its nothing like here trial and retribution books (as although I like this on the TV I am not really into crime books).  Have read a couple of her books in the past which I would recommend Bella Mafia and Entwined, though the latter is a rather dark book about two Jewish twins who and goes back to how they were tortured by Dr Mengles at a concentration camp when they were small, so its not for the faint hearted.

One of the best books I have read for ages was Forever Amber, its a historical novel about a woman called amber growing up in the reign of Oliver Cromwell and Charles II, Amber is really spirited a lot like Scarlett O'hara in 'Gone with the wind' so it was a brilliant read and I learnt so much about history whilst I was reading it too and can now answer lots questions that come up on 'Who wants to be a millionaire' about that period!!  Apparently it was written in the 1940's and was banned because it mentions the mistress's and illegitmate children of the King which was too much for them to deal with in the 40's

Croc

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello ladies,

It's nice to know there's a few of you out there like me!!!Always with their head burried in a good book!!!

I like the sound of all reading the same book and reviewing it,we will have to agree on one though(i'm a dumb blonde so nothing to heavy!!).

So if anyone has any suggestions let us all know!! Maybe we ought to wait for a new best seller that we fancy or something!!!

Kelly x ^daisy^

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi everyone,

I love reading too but seem to fallen out of the habit lately.

The most recent book i read was "The curious incident of the dog in the night time". I couldn't put it down. I know 2 boys with Aspergers Syndrome and it gave me a much better idea of how they the world looks through their eyes.

I think i like Marian Keyes too, if she's the one who wrote "Watermelon". My friend lent that to me when i was pg! Sensitive, huh!  ;D

I also like that woman who was in Father Ted but her name escapes me at the mo, and i like Ben Elton too. Oh! just remembered i've not read his new one yet!

Gill x

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I like reading too!  Love the odd chic lit read.  My favourite is Adele Parks and I have two of her books waiting to be read.

Also love reading anything to do with gardening, history or poetry.

Laine x

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi all

I love reading but don't have as much time as I would like in order to indulge my habit!

I love chick lit too but now I have a mental block about what i am reading at the moment :-[

Sara

·
Premium Member
8,291 Posts
Helloooo girls,

I too go in stages - once ive got a book that I like though - you wont get a murmer out of me till Ive finished it  ;D

Love all the girly ones too - Maeve Binchy, Catherine Cookson, Audrey Howard etc

Just finished the Baby Trail which was recommended to me - have to say I really enjoyed it (and read it in 2 evenings  ;D )

I also like autobiographys - anyone got any to recommend?

Good thread Kelly  ^afro^

Love

Debs xxx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Great idea. Until a few years ago I never had my head out of a book, now I love to read when I get a quiet few minutes and something I can really get my teeth into. My ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE author is Barbara Erskine, historical/spiritual/love, if anyone is interested start with Lady of Hay (keep a box of tissues handy!). I also love Reay Tannahill and Penny Jordan (for a good old Mills and Boon!). If anyone knows of an author like Barbara Erskine I would love to know as I've read all of her books and her next one doesn't come out til August NEXT year.

I must read the Baby Trail, I've seen that lots of girls on the site have read it and said it's brilliant.

Brewser. x

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
oooooh wormies nice to meet you ;D

Kelly - if you like Catherine Alliott - i think you will love Patricia Scanlon and Erica James - they are both modern womans lit. and really good

Croc - i luv Martina Cole - also have you read Gilda O neil - she has two parts of a trilogy out so far about the O'Donnell family - set in the east end they are great.

i have just read Gervaise Phinns four books he is a school inspector in Yorkshire - mmmm out of the mouths of babes - they are so well written

I am into Ann Purser at the moment - the Lois Meade stories - they are great!

sorry its a passion once i get going ;D

LB
X

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can I join you ladies?,

I have always been a voracious reader, but I have been getting getting through a book a day while on my 2WW.  I am now on day 11 and have a few recommendations!
The Da Vinci Code is excellent, absolutely fascinating and a real page turner action thriller type of book. 
I also enjoyed the Baby Trail, although not as much as Ben Elton's 'Inconceivable' which was very funny. 
A good chick lit book was 'P.S. I Love You', pure escapism with no mention of fertility!
'Lovely Bones' (the author's name has fallen out of my head for the moment!)was absolutely fabulous and I couldn't put it down.
But if all else fails I re-read The Lord of Rings (my favourite book/books of all time) for pure escapism, but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.
I'd love to do a book club week where we all read the same thing.  Richard & Judy's new book list looks interesting again.

Bex  x

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hello ladies,

I'm glad I started this thread!!! I hate it when some people say "get your head out off that book" or "reading is boring" .

LB- I might just try one from the authors you mentioned-fancy a bit of a change!!!

Baby trail was good but the ending was a bit dissapointing!!!

Keep the suggestions coming!!!

Kelly x ^daisy^

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Hiya,

I'm also a book-lover, I'm reading the 'Confessions of a Shopaholic' series right now by Sophie Kinsella, and also 'The waitress' by Melissa Nathan - so very chick-lit  ;D 

I love books by Lesley Pearce, she's my fave author. 

I have a copy of 'The Baby Trail' if anyone wants it?

I love the idea of us all reading the same book at some point as well - fab idea, fee!

Marie xx

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Hi Girls

Ohhhhhhhhhh i love reading books especially autobiographys once i start reading a good book i cant put it down.. i have read all 6 of david pelzer ie a boy called it, very sad but  a good read,

Debs have you read jordons autobiography its really good.

Bye for now

Love Martine xxxxxx

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi Ladies

I'm soooo glad to know that I am not the only book-worm!! I love reading.
I don't have a favourite author, but i have read all of Martine Cole's books, and David Pelzer's. I have just finished Baby Trail, great book but also disappointed with the ending - bit of a let down.
Great idea about all reading the same book.

xxflamencaxx ^evil^

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.