Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Just wondered if any of you who suffer from Endo find it hard to have sex for the typical 3 times a week that the docs recommend?  Although I know I am lucky as I only have have mild endo (although it doesn't feel like its mild) on my ovaries and behind my uterus - my consultant said to 'try' 3 times a week but I'm finding this very difficult as the pain and bloating seems to always be there and I really don't feel like it. I've tried grinning and bearing it but now I just don't want to have sex when the endo is playing up! :mad:

Anyone got any advice? I've tried acupuncture for 10 months now and the woman who does this for me has said she has helped endo sufferers get pregs with helping to 'move' the endo. The pain has got slightly better but it is still there. I also take anti-inflammatory and co-codomal when things are bad, but I hate taking any form of drugs. Myself and my DH also try around the 14 day, although this is difficult because my periods vary from 22 days to 32.

I also would like to know do any of you know if Mild Endo causes infertility? I had a letter from my consultant saying that I have unexplained infertility because I ovulate. I also had a laposcopy 2 years ago and that showed up that my tubes are OK. Have any of you had laser treatment and if so do you find that laser treatment helps with the pain ? Do any of you know if the Endo can grow? I was told by one registrar that the pain doesn't mean that it is not doing any damage and that the endo is not getting any worse - do any of you know if this is true? I'm not so sure as the pain has got worse since I had my laposcopy!?

Any advice or info would be great so I can go into battle with my consultant next month! I'm a bit worried that I'm going to be fobbed off again!! :-[

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

I used to suffer from painful sex, as well as bleeding during/after sex although thankfully nolonger. The only advice I can offer is to perhaps take a few painkillers beforehand, make sure you have lots of lubrication (obviously not spermicidal otherwise it'll kill the ^sperm^ !!), take it nice & slowly & try "gentle" positions such as spooning. To ease the bloated feeling, drink peppermint tea (or peppermint codial) as this really does work. I get bad bloating & tenderness around ovulation due to clomid (I take it to boost) so I know having ^BMS^ when you feel like that is probably last thing you wanna do...but I make sure I have a nice relaxing bath with some candles & essential oils, possibly a glass of wine...and then takes things slow ;)

I was diagnosed with severe endo (stage 4) & dense adhesions at my 1st lap when I was only 19. Both tubes blocked, endometrioma on both ovaries, tubes stuck to ovaries then all stuck to pelvis, womb stuck to bladder, endo on bowel, in pouch of douglas...everywhere basically. I was told would never conceive naturally as so bad.

I've had 4 ops over the years which have included laser (vapourizing the endo), diathermy (burning with an electrical current) & the last 2 ops involved excision (literally cutting away the endo at the "root"). I've found that the laser & diathermy did help but that because my endo was so bad, excision seems to the best treatment I've had...my last op was 18mths ago & I've been living pain (& presumably endo) free since...something I'd never have believed possible when 1st diagnosed.

Endo may effect fertility but it really depends on where it is...

Even though told it would never happen without assistance, I have managed to...once 15yrs ago which sadly ended in termination. I'm now 36 (going on 37 :-\ ) & we have more recently been ttc for about 2 & half years & I've had 2 early miscarriages this year. However, none of these were endo related...I also have a bicornuate uterus (heart shaped) & uterine adhesions...I've had surgery to correct this (had 4 hysteroscopies) but unfortunately the more ops to correct, the more adhesions formed so catch 22 !! My last hysteroscopy was in April this year & I was found to have polyps...and then after having numerous blood tests cos of recurrent early mc's I was diagnosed with blood clotting disorder (sticky blood)...just to add to the list of problems !!  :-\ Now that they know what is causing the problems with implantation they are very confident that I'll conceive again & sustain the pregnancy...and I have to stay positive that it will & believe the "experts" ^reiki^ :)

I was told that there is a window of up to about 9mths following a lap (sometimes a year) when chances of conception are improved as everything will have been "cleared out".

I ovulate naturally but am on 50mg Clomid to "boost" - basically theory being more eggs, more chance & I've released 2 eggs every cycle of clomid so far (have follicle tracking scans & progesterone blood tests to confirm). I was initially only prescribed clomid for 3mths & then we were going to start IVF this month...however, after much thinking and talking, we decided to give the clomid another 3mths...I'm now in my 5th cycle. It is not effecting my endo at all & I seem to respond to it well...it is obviously a far less invasive (& cheaper !!) option than IVF although there are still side effects attached to it (including roller coaster of hormones/emotions). If we don't manage to conceive on clomid then we'll be starting IVF in January/new year (IUI not an option cos although tubes nolonger blocked, they're still damaged/sluggish)

If your cycles are irregular then perhaps try to have ^BMS^ from cd10 onwards for at least a week...they advice to have plenty of ^hump^ before ovulation as sperm can actually survive for several days inside you & it means there's a "welcoming party" for the egg when it's released. I appreciate that it may be painful but maybe you could try my suggestion of a couple of pk's/anti-inflams prior to getting jiggy & try positions that don't have "deep" penetration.

I also have acupuncture alongside taking the clomid...the last couple of months I also had chinese medicine which actually complements the clomid...basically replaces what the clomid took out.

Anyway, I'm sure I've written enough (I could talk for England !! ;D )...feel free to contact me if you wanna chat or have questions... :)

Wishing you loads of luck ^reiki^ ^reiki^
Take care
Natasha

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Angeline.

I have severe endometriosis, have lots in common with Minxy, things stuck where they shouldn't be.  I've done the laparoscopies, laparotomy, hysteroscopies etc etc.  Had my endo lasered which for me certainly did free up the pain. 

Have you tried using ovulation sticks to judge what should be your most fertile time?  My fertility clinic really rate these as pretty accurate.  I had to use them to judge my LH surge during IVF and each time they were completely spot on as the follow up  internal scan (or lovingly known as vag cam) verified.

I wish you luck in getting your dream.  Anything you want to ask please feel free.

Love Kate

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your advice, and I certainly will try taking the anti-inflam and painkiller before myself and my DH have nookie!  ;D I've also tried the Ovulation predictor kits and they don't seem to work on me!  :-\ I tried using these 3 months back to back and I never got a positive result. I suppose it was hard for me to follow in a way, because my cycle does vary slightly. I was told to 'try' 7 days after my period has finished as well and that doesn't work.

One of my friends also mentioned about checking my cervical mucus (not very nice to talk about!) but I didn't notice anything different there. One thing I know I didnt' want to get obsessed about and that is the temp that the GP's recommend you to do, I can imagine that could make me me more worried!

I'll certainly try the warmth bath and wine before nookie as well!

My friend who has moderate endo has had laser and it has helped her with the pain, but looking on various websites they say that doing laser treatment for mild/minimal endo won't increase your chances of conceiving. I'll certainly ask about the drugs to improve my chances, its certainly worth giving it a go.

One consultant mentioned about taking drugs that cause the menopause for 6 months and then try again, but I dont' like that idea at all, to me it seems like a waste of 6 months!

I find endo so bizarre, its so odd how such small spots can cause the pain and discomfort.

Thanks again for your advice, and the best of luck to you all!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi  Angeline

I hae had endo for years - diagnosed when I was about 18 with a laparoscopy.  Over the last 17years I have had various laparoscopies, had the lucrin injections for the menopause for 9 months (which was actually great as I was symptom free for 11 months but it coincided with dh operation for varicoceles so we could spare the time)and have recently had a lap and dye with adhesions removed as left ovary stuck behind bowel and right  stuck to abdominal cavity! nice!
Anyway I wanted to say two things
1. I have a 5 yr old son after years of trying and being told that my endo was making implantation very difficult as hostile environment coupled with poor sperm and alos irregular ovulation so keep going and dont think you wont get there because one day in the end i'm sure you will.  Stay positive - i swear that helps
2. I was told that you can really help your symptoms through diet and that there are so many things endo sufferers should avoid eg dairy food, red meat, grapes, white bread and pasta, white wine etc etc.  I dont know what people think of this whole diet thing but i also have mild interstitial cystitis which is helped massively by diet - for me cutting out yeast has been a godsend.

Sex for me and my dh has been a real pain!! as internally it hurts but also externally it stings because of the cystitis.  We now us ky at all times, paracetamol or nurofen 1hr before hand and usually never do it doggy style!
Re the mucus thing that is your eostrogen level indicator for ovulation apparently!  shag like bunnies when its there and dont do the temp thing as I did it solidly for 2 years and never want to see another thermometer!
lots of luck
Lesley
(So now here I am doing my first IVF and fingers crossed all will go well fo me too)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hallo any friends that cain join me on a chat I had endo stage four zolodex implant was given nearly 5 months no period suffer hot flusses and dry mouth I need friend that can be support to me email me thanks girls wish you reply soon

Email/BBM pin removed, Please use the Private message system

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.