Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Any Experience Please of HPT after IVF ???

829 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  TracyM 
#1 ·
I know this has been talked about a lot on the site, but I was wondering if anyone has had a false positive when using a pee stick after IVF.

I had ET 8 days ago, and have been told by my clinic that I can come in for a blood test or do a home test this Thursday (14 days after EC).  My quandry is this, usually I would just have the blood test, but the clinic we have used is in London (100 miles from where we live), so was wondering how big the risk is of a false positive on a HPT?? ^idiot^

My HCG injection would have been done just over 15 days prior to test.

If anyone has got any experience that will help me decide, that would be great.

Thanks
Liddy x

#2 ·
Hello Liddy, Hae you thought about asking your GP to do the bloods?  If you explain your circumstances you should have no bother even if you ask your clinic to post you a micro biology form?!!

sarah x

#3 ·
Hi Liddy,

I'm pretty sure I've read on here several times that the HCG will be out of your system in 14 days (if not less - although I think it's slightly different for everyone...) so I'd imagine if you got a positive on day 14 then it would be a 'real' one and not caused by the trigger injection

I had ET last Friday and am due to test on Fri 23rd - my clinic (LWC) didn't even offer a blood test so I'll be doing the pee stick test - infact I'll probably be tempted to do it on the Weds/Thurs as I had a 3 day transfer...but let's see if I can hold out to test day!

Totally understand you not wanting to go all the way to London for a blood test - I think you'll be fine on day 14 with the pee stick - but if you are concerned, is there any way your GP or local hospital could do a blood test for you? Just to completely put your mind at rest....

Good luck!
Laura

PS I see Sarah has the same idea as me re getting your GP to do a blood test!

#4 ·
Thank you for your replies.

I think I'll ask at the GP surgery, hopefully they'll accommodate me!

I think deep down I would trust the pee stick, but after so much anticipation and disappointment it would be nice to have some certainty.

Laura, good luck with your test on the 23rd! (and 21st and 22nd!) Seems like your clinic have advised you to test later than me, I was a day 3 transfer aswell, mine count 2 weeks from egg collection.

Liddy x

#5 ·
Yes, LWC seem to be a bit conservative with the test dates - when I was doing IUI it was a 16 day wait rather than 2WW, and now they are counting 14 days from ET rather than EC - which is why I shan't feel guilty if I test early  :)

For now I'm feeling fine, but I know when I get close to test date it will be hard not to test on Weds or Thurs....especially as I know other clinics tell their patients to do that...

Laura
x

#6 ·
I,m with LWC too and theyve asked me to wait 14 days to test even though I had 5 day transfer. Prob wont wait though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.