Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me out!!

My little girl is 7 weeks old and for the past few days she has been sucking on her fist! I dont really know why she does this as she has a dummy!! She spits her dummy out to place her fist in her mouth instead!!
She seems quite happy when she sucking her fist but i dont want her getting in to a habit of doing this  :-\

Any ideas would be grateful or am i worrying over nothing  :-[

x x x

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
It does seem a tad soon but she could be starting to feel movement in her gums - my ds was teething from 10wks.  Is she very dribbly?  Alternatively it could just simply be that she likes it...  :)

Bev xx

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bev  :)

Katie did seem dribbly the other day but like you i thought it to early for movements in her gums so i just ignored it!!
How will i know she is starting to teeth if this is what it is  ^idiot^ Sorry i am a bit new at this  :-[

x x x

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
My little one did this, he then became a thumb-sucker - just took until about 3 months before he had the co-ordination to get just his thumb in his mouth.

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
My little girl is doing it since about 7 weeks and although my DS started teething at 9 weeks with all the pain and drool, I don't think that's what it is this time, I think she's trying to find something to suck that's not me  :)
She's a very sucky baby and sucky babies will stick anything in their mouths for comfort.
Keep an eye and if they appear to be in pain or start to dribble excessively, then it's early teething but otherwise probably just a comfort thing  ;)

Claire x

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ladies!!

She doesnt seem to be in any pain and she is a sucky baby! She lays there cooing whilst sucking her fist so she maybe just likes it!
I will just keep an eye in her  :)

x x x

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Lewis sucks his fist all the time  ;D hasnt found his thumb yet but shoves his hand in so far he makes himself choke  ::) L has never been interested in a dummy, so makes his hands quite red and sore at times.

If she doesnt seem in pain or that somethings bothering her, its probley just for comfort  :)

Nikki xx

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
My DD did this too from about 7 weeks and she was 5 months when she got her 1st tooth, she would also suck on her lip but it gave her blisters, we were worried so we gave her a dummy but she wouldnt take it, maybe try some bonjela if its really bad.

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Mine did it too from very young and with ds I can see now that it was hunger (hindsight is a wonderful thing!) but they were also both very sucky babies. I was determined not to have a thumb sucker so ds had scratch mitts on to stop him from doing it and I would give them their dummy instead - even if they spat it out I would put it back in. ;D ;D ;D

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
chux - ditto :( mine sucked her fist, and i only later realised it's because she was hardly getting any milk from me. :'(

hey ho, she just wanders round with her bottle all day now if i let her!!! ;D

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hello  :)

Yep - Rory was a fist sucker from the off, he's now this past week or so found his fingers or his thumb  :mad: I had this with Lucas too and he eventually found his fingers around the 11 week mark and I eventually managed to get him to take a dummy as I really did not want a finger sucker. Rory on the other hand will not entertain a dummy for more than a few seconds, we've tried for weeks  ::)

I really don't want a thumb/finger sucker but then I don't want a 3rd dummy user either - was hoping R wouldn't be a little sucker but he is  ;D

A lot of people confuse this with teething but it really is a developmental thing as they are learning the co-ordination to get to their mouths. Give it a few more months and everything they are able to pick up will go straight to their mouths too  :)

S xxxx

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies  :)

It seems that alot of babes like to suck on their fists then!!
You have all really helped me ladies

Thanks again  ^hugme^ ^hugme^

1 - 12 of 12 Posts