Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've just received my 1st gynae appointment for next Thursday and I'm really nervous!!! We've been trying for 4 years, but the reason why we've only just been referred is because of my age. I'm 23 and they wouldn't see me untill I was over 22 (which is fine).
The reason why I'm nervous, is my weight! I'm 5foot and 1inch therefore my IDEAL weight should be something like 7stone!!!!!!!!! Unfortunelty though, I weigh 'slightly' more than that. I'm about 4stone overweight (even though, since Jan '08, I have lost 2stone already)
I'm just expecting the consultant to take one look at me, send me away and tell me to come back when I'm closer to 7stone!!!
As you can probably tell, I'm VERY nervous and would like words of truth AND encouragement from any 'slightly' overweight ladies that have gone through the same thing.

Thank You,
Aimi

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Hi hun,

Try not to worry hun , easier said then done i know. Have you had any investigations done? If not this will be the first thing they do.

Most clinics vary. Some wont treat yuo unless your bmi is under 30 others dont seem to mind. When i was prescribed clomid i managed to get my bmi down from 38 to 34 without being asked too (i did it for my own peace of mind) so like i say it will vary from clinic to clinic

Well done on your weight loss so far, thats a great acheivement, andf good luck for your appt, let me know how you get on

Nikki xx

·
Registered
683 Posts
Aimi congrats on the weight loss hun,
I don't think your weight will be that bigger problem, they might tell you to try and loose a little but they should still treat you.
The last IVF i had i was 11stone3 and they still let me go through treatment and i'm only 5foot.
Best of luck
Kia.x

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you SO much girls, you've both (believe it or not) put my mind at ease! I think I'm going to take one step at a time..... I seem to be worrying about things that are so far down the line, instead of the initial consultation which, like you've said is going to be chatting, taking some history and having some inital scans, blood tests etc.

I have spoken to family and friends about my worries etc, but unless you're going through these things yourself (which you girls are) it's hard to even imagine.

I'll keep you updated to how things are going............once again, THANK YOU SO MUCH for being supportive.

Aimi
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Aimi ~ its so easy to jump ahead, i think we all do that, its just our natural way, we are excited, scared and nervous, things are starting to happen and you want them to happen now!  ;D

Nikki xx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Girls,

Sorry it's taken me so long to update you all, I've been so busy!!

I had my 1st gynae appointment last Thursday (as you all know) and to my surprise, it went FANTASTICALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The consultant was really bubbly and put me at ease straight away! Like you guys have said, she was just impressed that I've lost quite a bit of weight already and to be honest it wasn't really discussed as an 'issue'.....

I've got to have 'day 21 bloods' taken tomorrow as she reckons I'm not ovulating (which is quite normal for PCOS). I've then got to book in for a HCG!!!!!!! Really not looking forward to that and after all that, all being OK (which she reckons it will be) I'll be starting on metformin, which (for me) is a huge step forward.....

So things are really looking up...........Any words of advice are still much appriciated though.

Aimi
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
366 Posts
HCG or HSG?
HSG is a breeze......no worse than having a smear and quite interesting if you can see the screen and your womb appears on it lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts