Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son turned 3 this weekend and has absolutely no interest in toilet training.  We did try back in January but he just would not let go (he has the control as we tried putting him in underpants and he held it from 8:30am to 12:30pm).  Anyone else have a child 3+ who is happy to stay in diapers and won't sit on the potty?  Should we be worried?

As a note, he's been late on the physical development side as he didnt' crawl until 13 months and walk until 18 months

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hello,
My Son is 3 yrs 4 months and has no worries about wearing his Pullups  ^bigbad^
We keep telling him the shop doesnt make any bigger ones, but that hasnt worked.
We thought as his twin has been trained for ages now, he might want to copy her, but no that didnt work either.
I take him to the toilet, but he wont go. 
He tells us when he has been No. 2, but not wet.
When i put him in Pants, he just wets himself.

HELP  :(

Susan xx

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Susan, thanks for your response.  It's so interesting in how they say that boys are harder to train than girls.  Wonder why?  But yours sounds similar to our son (but we never tried the pullups).  Our son sometimes also tells us when he's going no 2 but not pee, but will just not go on the potty.  He won't even sit on it anymore.  Don't know whetehr to push him again or just wait until he tells us he'd like to try?

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
It's not only boys - Katie is the same! At least we can fix them up together when they  are teenagers - they can change each others pull-ups! ;)
We really aren't getting anywhere here so I've (reluctantly) abandoned it for now. She has a bladder of steel like Evan and can hold until 11.30am (when she wears a pull-up or nappy for her sleep), then until about 5pm when she starts losing the plot!!
At least she's not alone and not the only 3 year old in Essex wearing nappies!!

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Janis, your comment about fixing them up and changing each other's nappies made me laugh  ;D  We've also given it a break and hope something will just click and he'll eventually be interested.

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Oh gawd............add J to the list as he will happily wet himself, not flinch and then stay in wet pants until I realise. I keep telling myself that one day it'll just happen, only it would be good if it were sooner rather than later as it's costing a fortune keeping two in nappies!!

Chux xx

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chux, very true about it's quite expensive.  Don't even want to think about what we've paid for in total with all the nappies over the 3 years.  Yesterday I picked Evan up at daycare and it's so strange seeing these younger kids going on the potty (esp since Evan is tall so he seems so much older than them). But we cannot force them on the potty, so nothing we can do but just keep encouraging them. 

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
To be honest I am at the stage where I am mildly embaressed about him still being in nappies and I do wish he'd give them up, so much so I'm thinking of just putting him in pants and hoping he'll eventually work it out without too many accidents (yeah right). At this rate I can see myself potty training both J and M at the same time as she seems quite keen!

Boys eh.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Well just may give you a bit of hope here. Joe turned 3 in January 2005 but wasnt potty trained until the August. He was a nightmare was scared of the potty and the toilet. Would hold it for ages until i turned my back for a second then would pee.
We eventually did it by introducing a good boy chart and told him everytime he asked to go to the loo he would get 2 stickers and if i took him he would get 1 a poo was 3 stickers, at the end of the week if he had been good he got a pressie. It took a while and i was really stressed but one day it just clicked and it then only took him two weeks before he was dry at night.
Really wishing you lots of luck and i dont envy you i hated the potty training.

Love kImx x

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks for that Kim.  Was thinking about a sticker chart, but will Louise get jealous?
Might try again half term week, as at Nursery they wont take them unless they are trained and that is in September.

Hope you are all well,
Susan x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Kim - Thanks!! It's so good to read your post and know that Joe was also one of the later ones but got there eventually as you only tend to hear the stories from the proud mommies not the struggling ones!!

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Hi Sue

yes we are all well thanks hope you all are. Jane mentioned on ******** to me about perhaps meeting up so maybe we could arrange something for us all.

I will add it was much easier to train him in the summer as he could just run around with pants on. I also had care mats strewn out everywhere ^roflmao^

chux we have had a few problems along the way with Joe's speech too. He has oral dyspraxia and wont drink from a cup even now. Although did last night so we may have a breakthrough. But had terrible trouble getting him off baby juice and getting him from a tommy tippe cup to a bottle.
His speech has come on brilliantly with speech therapy also his playschool were brilliant with him and he is doing great now on the gifted and talented register at school for reading and top group for letters and sounds so i am a very proud mum but dont mind admitting the problems if it will help others. I am sure J will just click one day like Joe did and i wont deny Joe drove me to distraction with it and i too was getting embarrassed with him in pull ups cos he is tall for his age too.

Kimx  x x

Kimx  x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Hmmm, that's interesting Kim as J had/has delayed speech so we see the speech therapist too, albeit not often as his seems to be more a case of laziness. Sounds like Joe is doing fantastic now though and you have every right to be a very proud mommy!

J is also another who is tall and looks older than he is making the nappy thing seem even worse.

Chux xx

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hi,

My two weren't ready to even contemplate potty training until 2 months after their third birthday and although they were then trained pretty quickly, they went backwards when we moved house the next month and they started having accidents again. But another month or so later they were completely dry and we've had no wetting accidents ever since. As someone who's taught nursery age children, I've seen a lot of children turn up at Nursery supposedly potty trained well before 3 but having regular accidents until the age of 4 or older so I don't think that it's necessarily better to have children 'potty trained' early.

Susan, I didn't think that nurseries could discriminate against non-potty trained children so you may want to question that. Daniel has medical constipation issues so he was still in pull-ups when he started pre-school and it wasn't an issue for them. And I've taught nursery age children who weren't dry. For Daniel and Charlotte we used chocolate buttons as bribes because sticker charts didn't work for us.

Interestingly, Daniel and Charlotte have also been under the speech therapist in the past.

Jules

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
You've got me worried now!  ;D

I was planning to start training K next weekend, even though he's not particularly interested I didn't want to keep putting it off.

Wish me luck!  ;D

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Well, Kim & Jules, you've given me hope that one Katie might be out of nappies! Even today, someone asked why she had a nappy on and she replied 'because I'm a baby'!
Susan, can we have a potty boot-camp in the park perhaps?! ;)
We have made no more progress at all. And Anna now refuses to pee on public toilets so I am using a potette travel potty (as she would only pee on the floor in the car park when out!!!)
xxx

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Janis, we're NO further ahead either...and if anything further behind.  Evan used to at least sit on the potty (even if he did nothing), but now if we ask him if he wants to he said very sternly "No, I want to go in my diaper!".  Not sure if we should start forcing him to make him sit?  Or if at some point he'll resond 'yes'.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi all,

Has anyone tried again yet??  I have with James  ;)
All weekend he was dry, quite a few accidents at preschool yesterday, dry when he was at home.
This morning he has been dry at preschool and he has been dry for the last two nights.
Wondering whether to put a pullup on him tonight  :-\

Susan xx

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Susan, great news with James progress.  He's had dry times so soon he'll stay dry 100% of the time.

No luck with Evan.  We were going to try again, but now we're moving houses so probalby not the best time to sttempt it.  At this rate, he'll be getting married in diapers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts