Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have just had a BFN with egg donation. I want to try again in 3 months with FET. Does anyone know whether there is any long term damage to your body by repeated tries of IVF ( e.g 3 tries a year) with all those mega doses of hormones? Do you need to de- tox between treatments?
Any advice - very welcome.
Mistral :-\

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Hi Mistral,

So sorry for your BFN.  I'm not a dr so cannot answer, but last year we had 4 BFNs.  I have since had testing and my lining has lots of issues and won't allow for implantation.  My dr suspects endometriosis and to "cure" it, he's put me into menopause for 3 months.  Apparently by removing the hormones, it fixes the issue.  Thus, in regards to your question, I do wonder if by adding so many hormones (i.e. with 4 tx's last year so close together), if that did not cause the issue or at least make it worse.  Dr's do apparently like 3 months inbetween cycles.  Good luck to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Hon,

Sorry dont know the definitve answer but we are doing back to back fresh cycles and I asked the cons if there was any issue in doing this - he said you are fine.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I have had a lot of pain during ov since my 2nd ivf & it seems that one of my ovaries has stuck to my womb now & I'm sure it's as a result of a very difficult EC that I had - but I was a v poor responder & the cons was desperate to retrieve the eggs!

I'm sure the drugs don't do you much good!  I've certainly put on weight!

Good luck!

Jess xxx

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
My doc only told me that it can be psychologically draining to try without rest inbetween but no physical damage mentioned. If you read my notes at the bottom you'll see I've tried many goes and I do not fell physically different at all. I think it depends on you as a person and how strong you're feeling  ^hugme^

Kay xxx

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
I always wondered that - as surely menopause is caused when your body runs out of eggs, so surely IVF means you use up more eggs more quickly - so it must stand to reason that menopause must come earlier?

maybe i'm just jumping to conclusions...

my fsh is certainly higher now, which i put down to having had 3 lots of very high dose IVF?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have always wondered this as well. Ive noticed my hormones etc are more out of whack after all the treatments, i have lots of ovarian and abdominal pains that i never used to have, i have more excess hair, sweat really badly had have hot flushes etc. Im having acupuncture which now seems to be helping some of these symptons, she said my body was in quite a bad way with all the repeated treatments but im hoping these are only temporay and that everything goes back to normal

dq xx

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi

I know that some clinics don't like to do treatment any closer together than 3 months which they say gives your body time to recover from the drugs.

I guess if your clinic were concerned then they would voice their opinions.

All the best

x x x x

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Hi,

I have always wondered if maybe lots of IVF's use up your eggs so you hit the menopause
early but I dont think it does because I thought that if someone has been pregnant a few times
they would have more eggs as they dont release 1 each mth & that would mean 9 mths of not using
eggs each time you were pregnant but thats not how it works it makes no difference.

katy. xxxxxx

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
that's a very good point....

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've had two batches of three cycles each:

Sept 2005-June 2006: 3 cycles.  Baby resulted from the last of these cycles!

Jan 2008 -- May 2008: 3 cycles. I'm in the 2ww.

This batch I'm doing the short protocol so it's much easier.  To be honest, the only downside I've noticed is the rate of cash burn!  I'm so used to injections, and I'm practically in a pattern with visits and the Lister is wonderful in seeing you before work, etc.

The one adverse effect I've had was on Cycle 1 abroad. They gave me Puregon and Repronex and I think estrogen.  A few weeks later, I developed a breast lump which turned out to be benign...but scary nonetheless. Because of timing, I thought it was more than coincidence, but the breast surgeon two years later who took it out said "I doubt IVF had anything to do with it." so there...

·
Registered
308 Posts
There first long term study has been released on IVF women  catching up with them 30yrs later.  it has shown that there was no signs of menopause being any earlier.  i was hugely relieved as using up my eggs was a big concern.

So from a menopuase perspective there is no added risk.  I don't know about other possible concerns.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts