Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was not 100% about posting this in here but seemed the best place. 

I am vegetarian (have been for about 15 years now) but have mulled over becoming vegan for many many years, just wondered if anyone on here is a vegan and if so how do they find it with ttc and maintaining all the extra requirements, etc?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Hiya  :)

Just to let you know that I am a vegan, and I will be honest and say it's not as easy ttc as it would be ,being a vegetarian !! :-\

I have had over 6 years experience of being a vegan (on and off !) so I know all about where to go and get all of the right vitamins and nutrients that are required for me , so ttc has kinnda slipped into my normal day to day routine. But I think it might be harder to try and become a vegan whilst in the middle of trying to concieve, your body takes type to adjust to the change in diet and lifestyle  :eek:

I am a total advocate for people becoming a vegan on lots of different levels (but I would never push my idea's on anyone) so if you would like any further info or advice about it then please do IM me, I would be really happy to run through some of the details with you, so you can make an informed and educated decision about how to go !! :)

Take care

Sarah xx

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
I'm not a Vegan, but I am a veggie, and more increasingly, I've been finding it harder and harder to eat dairy produce, I have a real problem with Eggs and Milk, but eat/drink them really to up my protein levels.  I do buy Organic though (drives DH mad!) because I believe its better for the animals, plus the produce is better. 

I have serious issues with Eggs .... I can only eat them disguised, and the yolk must be hard.  The thought of eating a runny yolk!  :p

I'd also love to hear about how you manage to fit in the extra requirements etc ... I don't want to harm TTC'ing in any way, but at the same time, I really don't like eating dairy produce (funnily enough, I don't mind chocolate  ;D

I was talking to a girl the other day, she'd been veggie for 15 years (I've been veggie about the same time) and was now pregnant and eating meat.  She said being a veggie causes m/c and she didnt want to risk it.  I've asked my Dr till I'm blue in the face about me being a veggie, and he has repeated that I am healthy, in fact, more healthier than many meat eaters!    For some reason it really astonished me she was eating meat .... if I was told it would get me preg, I'd eat a horse, but it won't. 

Let us know if you do go Vegan, Nikki!

Marie xx

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Ummm now I'm no doctor but I would have to agree with you Marie that being a veggie/vegan does make you much healthier, I haven't had a sick day in the last 4 years, not even a cold, but yet I am constantly being told by family and friends that if I continue with my "silly diet" I will make myself sick ........Mmmm ^idiot^

In terms of vitamins and minerals there are several companies that make "vegan" tablets that contain no animal by-products etc and they are readily avaliable to buy online or in most health fod shops. In terms of the food that I eat, I do get quite a varied and interesting diet, and how I look at it is, I think about all of the essential food substances that I would find in egg/milk/cheese etc and I seach a list of other food that contain them( and believe me there are plenty of food that contain the essential things we need!!) and when I find one that I love, I stick with that and try to make as many varied dishes from it as I can.

If anyone is thinking about becoming a vegan, I would recomend a book called "Animal Free Shopper" (It is avaliable from The Vegan Society online). This book is invaluable to anyone who is thinking of living an animal free lifestyle because it contains a list of every thing you can and can not eat, and which food's contain animal products etc. If also contains a list of everything you can buy in certain supermarkets, so you don't have to spend hours checking the labels when you go shopping , it's all there in the book for you.

I have had to make a sacrifice with regards my veganism, because not only is it about not eating animal products, there is a how long list of other things I can not do. I also can not use any mainstream health and beauty products, I can not use mainstream washing powders/cleaning products etc, I can not drink wine or Beer because of the way it is made. Before I became a vegan I had no idea how much I would have to give up, basically I can not have anything in my life that has ever had anything to do with animals. I will add that this has been my choice because I have chosen to be a strict vegan up until now, but there are many different types of vegans and many diferent levels.

One thing that is does mean is technicaly I should not take any main stream "drugs" as 99.9% of the time they are produced by companies that have now or in the past conducted animal experiments. This is where I have fallen down on my veganism because to move forward with my IVF I have to take the drugs and also have a G.A (which again is something a strict vegan would refuse) it has been a small internal struggle for me, but at the end of the day, this future baby is what is the most important thing in mine and DP's life !! :)

I hope that doesn't sound all to scary, and I haven't rambled on to much, it is a subject I am quite passionate about so I do tend to not know when to shut up !!! :-[

I wish anyone thinking of making these changes good luck and I wish you al luck and love with TTC  ^reiki^

If you have any question please do not hesitate to ask.

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank for the replies Sarah and Marie :-* :-*

Marielou said:
I have serious issues with Eggs .... I can only eat them disguised, and the yolk must be hard. The thought of eating a runny yolk! :p
I am the same as you with this Marie.

Sarah I have had the Animal Free Shopper book for ages, think I ordered it from Animal Aid, its a great little book. I am sure Animal Aid produce wine for vegans - I may be wrong though.

As far as animal products go Proctor & Gamble are the hardest company to ban from your everyday life I find cause they have their finger in so many pots and produce so many different brands!

Marie I don't think I could do what your friend did and start eating meat! Meat is pump with so much rubbish anyway that the info your friend got just doesn't seem right somehow but each to their own.

Sarah ramble on as much as you want hun, I have very passionate views about the whole vegetarian/vegan/animal free issue but I really am holding back on them on here cause I do not think my views would be appreciated by boss man and others and this really isn't the right forum.

Sorry this is a short entry but have to get dinner on, etc soon and didn't want you to both think I was ignoring you on this post, its just such a HUGE topic.

Will input more soon and keep your thoughts and views coming guys.

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sarah just to say, notice you are having tx in Gloucester - I lived in Gloucester for 7 years and did a lot of animal campaigning when I lived there - maybe we bump into each other at something - you never know.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Hiya Nikki

Sorry I am only just replying now I completly forgot about this post and have only just now come back to read it !!! :-[ :-[

I know what you mean about that book being a godsend, I don't know where I would be without it, but I also know what you mean about finding it hard to know which companies are safe and which are not. I try to air on the side of caution and if I don't know I just won't use them. Have you tried the shop "Lush" I buy all of my beauty products (if thats what you could call them!!) from there and everything in their store is vegetarian and about half is vegan........plus everything in there smells well kinnda lush !!!  ;D

I hold back also because this is not the right place to air my views, but I do feel very strongly about these issues and thats why I am happy to help or give advice in any way that I can  :)

I haven't really done any campaigning in Gloucester, I did used to live in Cornwall though and did quite a bit down there...........since I have been with DP she has made me calm down a little !!! ;D

Sorry for taking so long to reply but please do keep in touch

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sarah one question I do have on the vegan side - variation - do you find you have a small variation and quick things for lunch - what sort of thing do you have?  Lunch for me quickest thing is cheese sarnies but that'd be a no no, as far as salads, hmmmm, I just know I wouldn't have them everyday for lunch.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Hiya Nikki

I have to admit my diet is not extremely varied, but then I have never been one to try out lots of different food even when I wasn't a vegan.  ^idiot^

I tend to have leftovers for my dinner on some days, so if I made pasta the night before I will box some of that up and have it the next day, if not that then a nice big bowl of soup and roll (there are actually quite a few vegan soups you have to know where to look !!! ;D) and if I fancy just snacking I get loads of raw veggies and houmous and dip my veggies in that !!! :)

I know you might think that you will be limited to salad, salad and more salad, and to be honest when you first start out you usually are, until you get used to it, but once your in the full flow of things it's amazing how many lunch/snack options you can find

My one best piece of advice is to cook your own food that way you don't have to spend 20 mins of your lunch break checking the labels on everything and then cross referencing it to you book !!! ;D

Hope that helps, any other q's let me know !!

Sarah xx

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sarah hmmmmmmmm houmous, you've got me thinking of houmous with red and white raw cabbage with onions and pitta now.  I bet to be honest, if I listed down everything I eat then going vegan wouldn't really change that much - hmmmmmmmm - thinking out loud there - I just may keep a food diary for a few few weeks and then have a look at that.

Thanks hun.
x

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Hello ladies,

I hope you don't mind me posting on here. I've just read this thread with interest. I'm a veggie and have recently been for an acupuncture appontment where my therapist told me I should try and cut down/cut out certain foods containing wheat, dairyand sugar to help alleviate my PCOS symptoms and lose weight. I'm a bit lost really! Although I'm not yet thinking of going vegan, I'm interested to learn about foods that might be of help to me in this situation.  I think I might purchase the book you mentioned. There are probably more foods that I didn't know about that I can have, and if it all helps in this IF nightmare, all the better.

KerryB
xxx

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Kerry

If you have problems finding the book in bookshops I ordered mine through Animal Aid, they have a web site under the same name just do a search on Google and they have the most wonderful books.  I've ordered tons from them in the past.

Nikki
x

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Thanks Nikki, I'll order it this weekend.

xxx

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kerry after sending you the message I went to the Animal Aid website cause I kinda reminded myself I hadn't had a nose their for ages and found and have ordered a vegetarians form of the low carb diet book, hopefully will get some yummy veg and vegan recipes from it.  Will let you all know.  Anyone else got it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.