Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all  :)

Well I'm both happy and nervous... just had a call from Hammersmith for an initial consultation, next Tuesday!!! (funny how things start to take a rapid turn when you relent and turn private  ???)

Anyway, I wondered if there was any more Hammersmith ladies out there? What are your thoughts, experiences???

Good luck one and all,

Cheery xx  ^reiki^

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hiya Cheery

I have just finished our first cycle of ICSI at the Hammersmith and am due to start a second there in September.

I am under the consultant Mr Lavery who is lovely and always helpful and willing to answer questions, and the nurses are all lovely and really make you feel at ease.

They haven't got me pregnant yet but i have been very happy with the treatment i have received from there.

Please feel free to ask me any questions about Hammersmith.

Good luck

Love
Woo

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi Cheery,

Good luck at the Hammersmith! Experience does seem to vary depending on your consultant and the straight-forwardness of your case.

We have mixed experiences there and overall it was not OK for us. The first consultant we saw tried to push us into using donor sperm. The second blamed the failure of our cycle on my weight. I will never forget my devastation at his cruelty and ignorance.

In our case they simply could not cope with all the complicated factors - My DH's cancer and sperm complications, my age, weight and disability.  We felt on a production line at the Hammersmith and it was the wrong production line for us.

The staff who do the day-to-day procedures we found brilliant and in particular there were individual staff members who made egg collection and embryo transfer very special indeed.

Good luck.

With warmest regards,

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Cheery,
I had my first ICSI at H'Smith and, overall, was happy with the service. Everyone was lovely and it seemed to run very efficiently. The only person I wasn't that thrilled with was Mr Magara. He's very matter of fact and talks in euphamisms. He also talks very quietly and has a very strong accent which doesn't help.

Where the treatment fell down was afterwards. I miscarried at 8 weeks at no-one wanted to know - not the IVF clinic, not the gynecological clinic (where I'd also been), not the main hospital - no one. I had the m/c in December and it took me until June to get an appointment!! When we went in Mr Margara said we should have written him a letter and he would have seen me straight away! So why can't anyone deal with phonecalls? Also, when I said, if i never have a child what should I do about my horrendous AF pains and he bascially said 'get used to them!'

I've now moved to ARGC which is overall more stressful as you are in evey day and have to queue for ages. The treatment though is very personalised whereas at Hammersmith they tell you, before you've started treatment, what days you'll be in for bloods and scans. ARGC review your case every day and call you every evening.

ANyway good luck!

Lynn

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi
I spent many years nearly 5 in total at the hammersmith and my feelings are very mixed. On our first attempt we were successful and have a wonderful dd who is 4. Following that my we had 4 failed cycles 2 biochemical, 1 negative and a positive followed by a miscarriage. They wanted us to carry on and would not carry out any additional tests on why my cycles were failing. In the meantime our DX is male factor only I underwent 2 HSG's and a hysteroscopy which I believe were unecessary. My DH also had a PESA which was really only done to line the consultant's pockets.
Since then we have moved to the ARGC. I am in the middle of my 2ww from a FET and the main difference I have found is how they tailor the treatment to the individual. Also on my 3rd visit to the clinic they knew my name after 5 years at the hammersmith the dr's and nurses still had to ask me my name.

I think that if your dx is straightforward then it is fine, I was just left feeling very let down after my failed cycles.

Good luck in your attempts

Laylar

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ladies,

Thanks for your response.  :)

I got to meet with Mr Trew last week and he has said that he wants to get me onto the IVF tx asap.  :eek:  I have been given provera to start a period, I've then got to have a scan and bloods. After that (fingers crossed for the right blood results) it'll be full steam ahead  :) He thinks we will start a short course of Puregon at the begining of August.... whirlwind!  :eek:

I'm very excited, but trying hard not to get too excited as I am more than aware of the statistics... fingers crossed though girls!  ;D

Cheery  :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi Cheery,

Just wanted to say good luck with your tx and to just let you know my experiences of Hammersmith.

As you can see from my signature I had 4 icsi and 1 FET all at Hammersmith and all negative.  While I could not fault the nursing staff and bedside care, etc I do have to agree with some of the comments above that tx is very much a production line (1 method for all) and of course if you are a straight forward case this will probably work for you as it does for many.  However if you have any complications I don't feel that they are willing to try different or some may say experimental treatments.  Even after so many failed cycles at my last review in April I was told I should carry on and have another go because there is no apparent reason why this isn't working.  I don't have the strength to do another cycle in exactly the same why cos why would it be any different a 5th time so I have changed clinics and am now at the ARGC.

My advise to you would be to have 2 cycles at the most at Hammersmith and if you have still not had any success (which hopefully you will!) don't just keep doing the same thing over and over, go somewhere else for a 2nd opinion.

Lastly on a positive note, a friend of mine who had been trying to conceive naturally for 2 years and had unexplained infertility got pg with twins in April with her first ever ivf cycle and that was at Hammersmith!

At the end of the day go with what feels right for you.  Lots and lots of luck.
Lauren xxx

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

Thanks for all your comments. just thought I'd update you.

Went to see Mr Trew and he has given me Provera to start AF. Subject to tests, they are hoping to start Puregon asap.

Fingers crossed eh???

Cheery  :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hiya

I just wanted to say GOOD LUCK to Cheery I have everything crossed for you hun!!!

And hi to AlmaMay yey i have a cycle buddy!! I would love it if we could be cycle Buddies in September i hope we are around the same time, It will all depend on my AF as i can be very irregular. Keep me posted as to where you have got to in your treatment.

I live in Radlett in Hertfordshire, Where are you from?

Cheery keep us posted on your treatment, I will make sure i look out for you on here.

Love
Woo

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Ladies,
I'm new to FF but just wanted to say hello as I'm with Mr Trew at Hammersmith too.  He came highly recommended by someone who has just given birth to a beautiful little boy after her 1st IVF at Hammersmith.

My first 2 (negative) attempts at ICSI were with Roehampton which I am quite glad to have left as I felt the treatment was unprofessional and there was not enough attention to detail - they missed the fact that I've got endometriosis as the problem had been identified as a low sperm count.  I'm sure there are horror stories at all clinics (mine at Roehampton for instance!!) but I've been really pleased with Hammersmith so far.

Anyway, had my laparoscopy yesterday to zap away unwanted cells and free up my left tube which had become blocked.  Seeing Mr Trew in a couple of weeks when I hope he'll let me start the next cycle (he seems to favour the short protocol) at the beginning of August - although he did suggest September to let all the insides settle down after yesterday.

Good luck to Woo, Katie and Cheery with your cycles.
Jayne  (Chadwick)x

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow Jayne, it looks like you and I are going to be 'Trew' Cycle Buddies!!! Fingers crossed after the scans and bloods later today we'll get our starting orders!!  :)

Good luck all ::)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hiya AlmaMay

My cycle isn't behaving is the answer i am still waiting for AF and I'm now on day 40 but never mind, they have said that i only have to have one bleed between now and September and at this rate thats all I'm going to have.

As soon as we have moved ( in 2 weeks ) I'm going to look in to acupuncture i think, bit nervous about it but I'll try anything if it's going to help.

Hope that everyones OK and things for the Hammersmith Ladies are going well.

Loadsa love
Woo
xXx

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hiya AlmaMay

You can be as nosey as you like hun!!
We are not having PGD at the hammersmith as i have been tested and after alot a hassle and mistakes (long story) i have been told that i am not a carrier of the cf gene so we don't need PGD which was a huge relief i can tell you.

We are very lucky and my husband is very very well which is great ( he is so fit he puts me to shame ).

We are moving to a lovely house and although it's quite stressful we are really looking forward to it, having a garden is going to be amazing as at the moment we live in a 2nd floor flat.

I had a chat about acupuncture with my hubby las night and he has said i should go for it and give it a try. so i am going to look for a clinic that does it near us.

Love
Wendy woo

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hiya AlmaMay

No i haven't recieved a letter like that from the Hammersmith I would love to be involved in that.
Are you going to take part?
Sound great it's about time he did another one of those his last set were brilliant.

Love
Woo

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi,
thanks for the welcome - it's great to chat to people about experiences although I'm amazed at how many people I know who are having IF tx.

Wendy, any luck with the AF yet?  Fingers crossed for you and good luck with the move - a garden will be great with all this sunshine.

Katie, we've not received a letter to go on TV but I don't think we would either.  We've kept the number of people who know we are having IF tx down to a minimum so far so this probably wouldn't be a good idea for us. 

I'm impressed with all the acupuncture talk - a few people have recommended it to me but I can't stand needles - I'm still struggling with the stitches in my belly button at the minute - dh has to change the dressing whilst I cover my head with a pillow!!

I'm back in to see Mr Trew on the 27th July so I'll know then whether I'll be an August or September cycle. 

Take care Ladies and looking forward to chatting to you all.
Love
Jayne xx

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hiya Ladies

You could be right Katie we are private patients so that could be it, Do you think you might take part? I will watch it very closely because he really knows his stuff, although i didn't think that he did a clinic anymore.

AAah Jayne you poor thing i hope that your stitches aren't  giving you too much trouble, They can get a bit itchy can't they.
I wish you better. I have everything crossed for you to get the go ahead as soon as possible.

No still no sign of AF and i haven't even had any symptoms so I'm not even sure that it's on it's way, And now the silly comments have started.
As soon as you tell someone that your AF is so late they start with the '' are you sure that your not pregnant, because miracles do happen''
Which is quite a sweet thing to say and for some people i know that can be the case, but then i explain our situation again and all i get is '' well you never know'' .
Yes i do know and that is why we are having treatment urgh it can be a bit annoying as well as upsetting.

Anyway rant over Er SORRY about that.

Hope that your all ok!!! Any news Cheery?

It's always lovely to hear form you all

Loadsa love
Wendy woo
xXx

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi all  :)

Just thought I'd check in and update on progress... Had my bloods and scan earlier this week and found out I have lots of cysts (looked like a bunch of grapes  ???). Seeing the all-knowing Mr Trew on 26th and, as long as he's ok with the scan, am hoping to get straight on the IVF trail, just in time for the summer hols... fingers crossed eh girls?!!  ::)

Seems like you're all doing ok... I didn't get a letter from the BBC, how rude!?! lol

keep in touch... maybe we should have a Hammersmith thread?

Cheery x

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hiya Ladies

How are we all? well i hope!
Jayne i hope your doing ok and you have had your stitches out!

I have everything crossed for you AlmaMay i hope you get a good result tomorrow, Have you thought any more about doing the TV thing?

Yep I am moving next Friday and I'm really looking forward to it now and I'm hoping that the old wives tale of new house new baby works for us.
I cant wait to start treatment again, I hope that we're not delayed though as i still have no sign of AF.

Hope all the Hammersmith ladies are well.
Take care

Love
Woo
xXx

·
Registered
258 Posts
Katie that is fantastic news!! I am so pleased for you  ^spin^ ^spin^ ^spin^ ^spin^ ^spin^

It's all systems go for you then, BRILLIANT.

Loadsa hugs
Wendy Woo

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Ladies,

Katie, that's a fantastic FSH result - I was told they don't start worrying until it's nearer 8 and anything under 10 is OK.  Does this mean you'll start in September for definite? Mr Trew has suggested the short protocol for me too this time - probably due to the reactions I had on the last 2 attempts

Wendy, fingers crossed for the AF - maybe the stress of moving house has caused some of the delay and once you are unpacked and relaxed it'll make an appearance.

Cheery, looks like you'll be full steam ahead for August - have you got some time off around the transfer time? 

I had my stitches out this morning and although it's not a particularly pretty sight it appears to be healing fine.  I can barely feel it now and hope that Mr Trew lets me start in August too but I know he's a cautious man and if he thinks that it would be more likely to work if we leave it a month he will!!  Just seems like waiting forever. 

I took redundancy at the end of January this year just in time for my first ICSI - I've been able to have the last 6 months off work (we'd just moved house so I've been a full time painter and decorator) but now the time has come to seek new employment. It's difficult knowing that you may (fingers and anything else that bends crossed) get pregnant but I suppose you have to get on with the other major things in life and if we are lucky enough for the ICSI to work we'll just work around it.

Take care and keep chatting!

Love
Jayne xx

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.