Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone  ^hello^
I was just wondering if there is anyone who has PCOS that has conceived?

Me and my partner have done all our tests but will not find out what our options are till May!!  We do already have a toddler which i feel very lucky to have because i was told i would never conceive naturally,  so all you ladies keep your chin up because it can happen.  We didn't find out i was pregnant till i was 19 weeks because a) i have irregular periods due to PCOS and b) i was told by the fertility clinic my only chance was IVF.  Since having my beautiful daughter (who has just turned 2) we decided to see if we would be so lucky for it to happen again for us but my periods have been all over the place and i don't think I'm ovulating because I'm using the clear blue ovulation monitor and its never read that I'm ovulating :-(  so if anyone else is in the same situation as me I'd love to hear from you or if anyone can help regarding the clear blue monitor, whether they work or not, drop me a message.
I'd just like to say though i feel very blessed to have my daughter and I'm very grateful it happened to me.
Good luck to all you ladies xxx
^fairydust^

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I have read that the ovulation test do not always work on women with pcos. They are test for LH surge. You can have a blood test at the doctors to see if you ovulating i'm having one this month. They test you day 21 after the first day of your period and day 28 to see if there has been a rise in your progesterone. If there has been a rise then you are ovulating.

I hope this helps :)

Mand x

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Hugbugs
Thanks for you message.  I think your right about the fertility monitor it does not work for ladies with PCOS, I'd just thought i would give it chance but don't think it is going to help me.
During this cycle i did have a bloodtest on day 2 and day 8 but will not find out my results till i go to the hospital in May!  Very long wait but they can't get me in any earlier.  Not sure why i was tested on different days to you.  Do you?
Are you having any treatment? xx

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi
my friend has PCOS and even had them drilled....was told she would never have children  :(
Anyway after a 1 night stand (which I believe a bottle of Jack Daniels was consumed!) she now has a lovely 6 year old son  ;D
Keep on trying ' cause you just don't know !

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Joe and Gill
Thanks for your message.  I do have a 2 year old daughter, I'm just having trouble conceiving again.  I was told i would never have children to, unless i had IVF.  Maybe i should be thankful that i had my daughter.
Glad to hear your friend managed to have a child  ;D xx

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi Sweetcheeks

like you I also conceived DS with PCOS, with a natural BFP which I was told would probably never happen. It took 12 yrs but well worth the wait :)

But like you I have failed to conceive since, and after tests have found other issues, and my age is now becoming an issue so I have decided to go for IVF. However one of the things my gynae put me on was clomid, which greatly helped with my ovulation, also the regularity of it. Have you ever tried this? Might be worth talking to you GP about it, or ask for a possible referral to consultant who may think it would help

Good luck

Julz xx

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Hiya,

I too am TTC no.2 with pcos. I had my DS with clomid & met (he's now 3). We have been trying since April last year with no luck. We said we would give it 12 months naturally before going down the clomid route again.

Regarding ovulation moniters, it should say on it not recommended if you have pcos  :( 

Good luck ladies, I thought emotionally second time round it wouldn't be as hard, but its starting to feel that way

Dakota xx

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
sweetcheeks2009 said:
During this cycle i did have a bloodtest on day 2 and day 8 but will not find out my results till i go to the hospital in May!
Not sure what you were tested for on day 8, but day 2 would of been to check your LSH/FSH levels.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Julz96 - It sounds like your in the same position as me.  I was trying for 7 years before i got the BFP  :)  Not sure if i want to go down the IVF route though as I've read it can be a very emotional path  :(
I have not tried clomid yet.  I have had some blood tests done and dye test but i don't go back to the hospital till May so I'm not sure if there is anything else wrong with me yet.  My cycles are not regular either which is a pain!
Thanks for the advice and good luck with your IVF, i hope you get another BFP  :) xx

Dakota - I understand what you saying about the emotional side, i didn't think I'd feel so sad 2nd time round but i do  :(  I'm still trying to think positive though  ^pray^.  Your trying for a year you say, are your cycles regular then?  Mine aren't, thats why I'm trying the ovulation kits.  Its does state that they probably won't work for PCOS ladies but i keep using them because i think 'you never know!'  (I'm probably clutching straws).  Good luck and i hope you get a BFP very soon  :) xx

^fairydust^

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi all, I was just reading the threads about ovulation kits not working for women with PCOS.  I have PCOS and my cycles are regular to the day and I also use the ovulation testing kits which seem to be working as if I test on the wrong day it is negative but then will be positive when it should be so I assume they are working.  I have also had a few blood tests when I have had a positive with the testing kits and they have shown that I did ovulate so just wanted to say dont be disheartened, the ovulation kits can work wiith PCOS!

baby dust to all  ^fairydust^

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Sweetcheeks, I must say since having my DS my cycles are around the 35 day mark. They do vary month to month, usually between 30-35 days. Before when i was ttc they were anything up to 50 days  :eek: 

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mrs Secker - Thanks for letting me know that the kits work for you.  I thought i would try them as you never know.  Sounds like they work for you because you have regular cycles.  My cycles are all over the place  :(  I've used the kits on my last 2 cycles, the first cycle it moved up a bar (i use the digital monitor that you insert the stick into) but my last cycle it didn't detect anything.  I will be starting to use it again in a couple of days so I'm  ^pray^ it will peak this time.  I noticed on your signature you started ovulating again from sept 10.  How did they get you to start ovulating?  I think thats my problem you see, I'm not ovulating  :( Good Luck to you and hope you have success xx

Dakata - Sounds like your cycles are shorter than mine.  Mine are anything between 44days and 70 odd days!  Before having my DD I was lucky to have 3 a year!  So I'm glad that I'm having more periods i just wish i knew when/if i was ovulating.  Take Care xxx

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi Sweetcheeks 2009.  I started ovulating again by losing weight, I have PCOS and was overweight and nothing I did diet-wise helped but when they started me on Metformin the weight came off and losing two stone did the trick and I started ovulating naturally again.  Since losing weight my cycles have become regular too so now we are just ttc every month, however if not pregnant by next month I have to have an L&D for further investigations which I am dreading incase they find something wrong.  I use the Tesco's own ovulation kit, it isn't digital just shows a line like a pregnancy test when it is positive. 

Baby dust to you.  ^fairydust^

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Mrs Secker.  Thanks for the info.  Congratulations for losing 2 stone, thats really good.  I'm not overweight and never have been.  However i was underweight for a long time, just under 8 stone!  But since i put weight on (9 stone 2) i started to have more periods and then i had my naturally BFP  :)  :)  After have my DD i have got back to my normal weight of 9 stone 2 which is great but i haven't managed to conceive.  Been trying since Jan 2010.  I do have skin problems  :( which gets me down though.  If you don't mind me asking whats an L&D?
^fairydust^ to you
Take Care xxx

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Sweetcheeks, if your HSG results come back fine, they will most likely start you on clomid. Some Consultants will give you metformin aswell. I was prescribed met for 4 months before having clomid and my cycles went to 32-35 days which was a first for me back then.

sweetcheeks2009 said:
If you don't mind me asking whats an L&D?
Laparoscopy & dye. http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=lap+and+dye&aq=f&aqi=g7g-m3&aql=&oq=

Bascially its a bit like a HSG, I haven't had one (only had a HSG)

MrsSecker, I saw your post on another board asking about the lap& dye. Have you tried using the search button on here? you can narrow it down to search specific boards (i would go with pcos/startingout diagnosis) Alot of ladies have had it, so you may find a bit more info/experiences that way.
Your story sounds similar to mine in the early days. I too was (still is :-[ ) overweight, and while other diets never worked, when i had met I lost nearly 2 1/2 stone. which i know deep down played a part in getting pregnant. I just need a kick up the ^shake^ to get me motivated again. Consultant wont give me metformin at this time ^bigbad^ so struggling along with RC at the moment

xx

/links

·
Registered
176 Posts
hi Dakota, thanks for the link to info about lap and dye, will have a look at it  ;D

why wont your consultant give you metformin again? thats horrible when you know it would work for you.  i never really thought my weight would be a huge (pardon the pun!) ;D problem but as soon as i lost the weight ovulation came back, im just finding it hard to lose any more, i am still taking met (when i can as it i find it hard to swallow) but nothing is coming off now  :(

it never crossed my mind that i would be needing ivf but it seems a lot of women on here went from met to clomid then to ivf, i thought there was a lot more inbetween if you know what i mean  ???

^fairydust^

Sweetcheeks, what skin problems do you have? i wish i only weighed 9 stone  ^tantrum^

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Dakota
I will find out about my HSG in may.  Seems so far away at the minute  :(  I had HSG during last cycle and I'm not sure if having that done has anything to do with it but i seem to of had a quicker period this time round  :)  not sure if thats good or bad!  I'm thinking its good, but then I'm thinking it might be bad because the dye may of flushed a bit of a blockage out the way.  Sorry i hope you don't think I'm going on but i can't help worrying.  Can't wait till i find my results out aaahh!  Thanks for letting me know what a L&D is.
I had a Laparoscopy & dye back in 2002 (when i hardly had any periods) and it made me have regular cycles for about 6 months, then they went back to normal (3 a year!) but returned more regular since i put on weight and having DD xx

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Mrs Secker
I'm sorry i hope you didn't think i was gloating about my weight  :-[  i was just trying to explain my situation.  Big  ^hugme^ to you.  I suffer from acne  :(  :(  :(  it has got better, alot better, but i was back round the doctors last week asking if i could try some more cream because i was so paranoid, thinking everyone i spoke to was looking at my 'spots'!!  :(  But they have started to clear now  :) so i am feeling abit better this week xxx

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Sweetcheeks ~ Did they tell you the results after they had finished? The waiting part is the hardest. You could try phoning and asking to be considered for any cancellations. I know when i had mine they didn't tell me and i didn't think to ask  :-[  When i got to see the consultant he was amazed they hadn't told me, but at the time i didn't have the courage to speak up and ended up waiting months for the results  ::)

MrsSecker ~ There are a few treatments you can have before IVF. The most commen ones are clomid, metformin, ovarian drilling. Some ladies then go onto the trigger injections. There is also IUI. Of course some of these tx's may turn out not to be suitable but it gives you an idea of what you can expect before IVF. Of course these tx's are also much cheaper so you find if your using the NHS, they will explore these options first.

big  ^hugme^  Ladies. Please don't feel like your going on etc. This site is a great support. It was a lifesaver for me back then. If it wasn't for all the lovely ladies with their knowledge and support i think i would of gone mad  ;D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sweetcheeks, dont be daft i didnt think you were gloating at all!!  ^hugme^ ^hugme^, everyone is in a different position/stage of ttc so dont worry about that!

i work for a dermatologist so i understand about your acne, i used to have acne too when i was younger and my husband actually ended up going on Roaccutane for his a few years ago which worked a treat but of course you cant go on it if your ttc, vicious circle isnt it  ^hugme^.

Dakota - Thanks for the info on the different treatments, that has helped as i was starting to panic thinking IVF was going to be just around the corner, of course i would go down that route if needed but i hope not to need it  ^pray^ (doesnt everyone though!)

I have only been on this site for 3 days now but I am finding it is helping loads, i feel i am not alone in this anymore and just having somewhere to ask questions really helps.  I am thinking about going to my local meet up but i feel a bit scared as they all know each other already the women who are going and i will feel weird going on my own!  :-[ :-[

1 - 20 of 36 Posts