Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I live in south of spain (near gibraltar) and wondered if there were any other people living near by (i know its a bit of a longshot...!!!)

aimee

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi ruth

i live in alcaidesa!  do you know it ... not too far from san pedro.

have you been in spain long?  have you had fertility treatment or are you on here in your role as a nurse?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Hiyyah.

I think you are closer to Gib than to me!!!! Probably about a half hour or so away.

Moved here cos of husband´s then job in real estate (not doing that now!!) but my role at CERAM has kept us here as our English programme has grown huge!!!!! Have 7 year old daughter who loves life in Spain and doesn´t remember much of the UK as we have been here about 3 and a half years now.

What brought you to Spain????

Best Wishes,

Ruth

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Ruth

My partner gaby is from gibrltar originally.  we moved here two and half years ago ... She wanted to come back to be near her parents (particularly as her mum had a bit of health issues) and also we hoped that this area would have some advantages in terms of raising a family.  :)

I  have to say its a been a bit of a culture shock for me, and really im still trying to find my feet in terms of work and friends.  :(

I hope your husband has found some different work, i know real estate has been a bit of a nightmare recently ... im not really sure how anyone really excpected to sustain the growth of recent times.  I had a little spate of estate agency (was a big disaster!!! :-\ :-\) the company i worked for has no folded.

i can imagine your work is really growing though with the english people coming over to spain for treatment.  we infact go back to london for our treatment!!  ::) ::)
One of the main reasons for that is its important for us that our future child would have the choice to find out about the donor if he she wanted to when they turn 18.  And it seems that spain doesnt really offer that.

best wishes aimee

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Hello Aimee and Ruth!! Glad to see there is a spain board active!  :)

I am on the Summer Sizzlers board - cycle buddies for Aug/Sep 08

I live inland from Alicante and Elche is our nearest town. Luckily there is a clinic there and they ae absolutely brilliant, really caring and listen to your every question and need. I had 1st IVF with them and got a BFP but we lost our little angel. It was a missed mc and we were told there was no hb at the scan but they took good care of me and DH so we are on round two now - well as soon as AF arrives will be dr for 2nd go!

How are you doing? any news or appts soon and where are u on tx?

L
x

^fairydust^

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi lentil

(im a bit slow on the abreviations!!)  sorry to hear about your miscarriage.  that must have been hard.

i went back to the UK last at the beggining of June, and missed my ovulation ... i get into a real tizz about the ovualtion predicter tests... i came back to spain and ovulated the next day.  so im waiting till the end of summer to give myself a break.

how is the weather with you?  we are totally into beach time now.  and we are booked up till september with visitors!!!

aimee

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Hi Aimee,

I know what you mean about worrying about the ovulation side of things. I do all the time but our Doc reckons that the best thing you can do is not worry or even think about it and just try to relax and live a happy life.

Easy for him to say but I try to do as he says!!

I still keep buying the evil little pee sticks though!! I am in the UK at themoment and will be stocking up again at Boots!

AF still not arrived - i am on day 36 now of cycle but then i have a 42 day cycle....i still stupidly wonder if all the  ^BMS^ at hopefuly the right times this cycle has made a difference and please please could I possibly be pg without the tx?!  ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^

It is really warm now at home (Spain I mean by that) and the builders have just finished our swimming pool yesterday thank goodness. Earlier this year we had 7 weeks of visitors  :p and only 2 days in between cross overs - some crossed over but we had enough room!  ::)

Anyway enjoy the sun and stay in touch.

L
xx
^fairydust^

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh i have my fingers and toes crossed for you lentil ... wouldnt that be amazing!

thats exciting about the swimming pool - we have a nice communal pool, although i have only been in it once.  i think the beach is nicer!  i think you have different weather to us down here, it gets quite changeable for us being near to the atlantic ... and is maybe a few degrees cooler. 

asking someone to be relaxed is easier said than done for sure!  its hard to go on with your life not thinking about getting pregnant when youre trying to remember to take the folic acid, not smoking, not drinking in excess, trying to relax (hahaha), booking flights, having acupuncture etc.  i have just ordered a conception hypnosis cd for relaxation ... is that gonna feel like another thing to remember to do ... or will it be relaxing?  we will see!

axxx

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Hiya Aimee,

Good to hear from you hun!

Well my very worst downfall is the vino!! I have the very best intentions and just half a glass with Casera and then it goes wrong as soon as i get relaxed from the wine i become a vino demon and cant stop at the one! i ended up taking two clients to lunch on Wednesday and we drank 3 bottles of wine between us.....there were 3 of us and i can just imagine how i have probably frazzled my poor follicles now  :-[.

I gave up smoking ages ago so thats OK and as for the stress......well i am a total stress bunny anyway and i have to make a big effort to calm myself at least every day. I think its an adrenaline thing and could be related to PCOS but also makes PCOS worse - bit of a viscious circle...

Anyway, good news is that I also bought a Natal Hypnotherapy CD off the web and it really helps. It is so good and i find it really helps me relax and make the right choices about food and drink. For example I had Melon and some Brazil nuts for breakfast today (about an hour ago!).  :) (I hadnt litened to it for 4 days by the boozy lunch though as I was away so i think that was the promlem!!)

I am still waiting for AF to arrive - on day 40 now (i have a 42 day cycle) and it will be 1st one since mc. Once it arrives i will be pleased as we can get dates in diary for tx.  :)  I have to say no symtoms yet though.

It sounds lovely where you are. You are right though it is v v hot here now - average 33 but a lot more in the midday sun. anyway, its lunchtime and as such i am off for a swim now to get a bit of exrecise in!

Take care

L
xxxxx

BABYDUST  ^fairydust^

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi lentil ....

any news?  i havent looked on any other parts of the boards ....

oh im glad you think the cd has helped.  mine arrived last week, and ive not listened to it yet.  will get stuck in tonight.

yes i think there is often an emotional connection with out physical state and 'illness'.

anxiety and stress are soo harmfull to the body arent they?

will let you know how i get on with the cd. 

ax

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Hiya Aimee,

I am just back off hols and feel very relaxed. I am trying not to worry about my alcohol consumption on holiday. AF arrived just before hols and lasted a day and a half so spoke to consultant and he seems happy with everything to push ahead for TX in Sept still.

Hows the CD going?
xx

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi lentil

glad you had a good holiday.

i also have had a bit of a blip on the alcohol ... its been soooo long since i drank anything much id forgotten how hideous hangovers are!!!!!  ??? ::) :-[

cd seems to be good, i quite enjoy it.  :)

im aboiut to ovulate this week, and was having a bit of wanting to rush back to london to have iui but am going to give it the full three months wait before i go again.  but i do feel ready for another go.

im booked in for iui around 30th august ... so does that fit with your treatment dates ...more or less?

we have my partners nephews coming to stay for a couple of weeks on sunday which is v exciting!!  we love having them to stay with us.

ax

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Hi Aimee,

I am sooooo happy that I got my dates througth today!!

Ginecrin jab on 16th Aug, scan on 25th August, jabs started on 27th Aug, EC on 6th or 8th Sep and ET sometime between 10th - 13th Sept!!!!!

You should join us on the summer sizzlers part 2 - its a great thread for Aug/Sep cycle buddies.

mind me asking why you go back to London for tx? The clinic i use here in spain is fab.
xx

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi lentil

ohhh so exciting to have all your dates.

to begin with it seemed much easier for me psychologically to contact clinics in london, i had a bit of a mental block with clinics in spain.  plus if i had to go on my own i felt more comfortable flying back to london than driving myself to malaga. 

then recently i contacted a clinic in algeciras as i thought 'ive got the hang of it all now, it would be ok to take on a clinic in spain' but the clinic wont work with traceable donors like we have in the uk.  and i dont want to use a non traceable donor.  so that kind of was the end of that.

part of me finds it a bit of an extra hastle to go back to the uk, but on the other hand i LOVE london, and its brilliant chance to see my friends and family.

so far we have found the london womens clinic to be really really excellent.  and so we are very happy there.

im not really sure how to work the 2ww (summer sizzlers) part of the message board.  ill go and investigate .... but do i just post like this in the other area?

axxx

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Hi Aimee,

I understand why you go to London now - sorry I was just being inquisitive/nosey!

I am like that with Manchester and love going there but thats just me being shallow as its great shopping and restaurants!

I dont think we have a 2 ww bit yet but if you just post a reply on the summer sizzlers (part 2) you should be in. I will put you a message there shortly.

Have a great day!

L
xx

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hay lentil

im feeling soo naughty have been readaing the summer sizzlers all day .. and i have a bit of a work deadline this week ..

oh well.

anyway i wanted to say that i really felt for you with your partners business dinner and the whole evening of pregnancy chat (i know this was a while ago now as you have been and chilled on holiday) but sending hugs anyway.

i get the summer sizzlers thing now, thanks for saying hi on that thread ... i felt v spesh!!  :)

i guess two week waits will come in september time.

ohhh i hope there is some good news for peeps.

really dont worry about being nosey.  its nice to be asked.  :)

ive only been to manchester once, four of us went up for Kylie concert a few years ago.  it was a fab weekend.  we stayed in the funniest hotel EVER.  it was very gay ... there were some very interesting people staying there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Aimee

I'm new to FF and while browsing the site came across your post from last year. I'm moving to Spain in Aug/Sep 09. DP is going to work in Gibraltar so we will look for somewhere to live within easy commuting distance. How do you like the area? I'm really looking forward to the weather :) but not too sure what to expect regarding anything else...

October

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi october!

you may well end up living here where i live, lots of people who work in gibraltar do! 

we live just by the best beach on the whole of the costa del sol - in my opinion!  ;D

the temp today was about 36/37 degrees HOT!! 

are you coming out to check things out before you move?  who is your DH going to work for?  if you dont mind me asking.

ax

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Aimee

Yes, I had heard that quite a few people working in Gibraltar live in Alcaidesa. Would you say that it's cycling distance?

Amazingly it was in the 30s today in London, so having the opportunity to acclimatise in advance :) Sadly no beach nearby. How are the winters there?

In terms of checking things out before we move, DP went to Gibraltar for the job interview. He was only there for a couple of days and didn't get any further than La Linea. But he's Spanish, albeit it from the north, and happy to be returning to Spain. And I'm looking forward to a change. Initially we'll be living in an apartment supplied by the company in Gibraltar but will look for a place in Spain asap. The timing has been quite good. The job offer came the same day as my BFN after first IVF tx so has provided a welcome distraction. I've been looking through a guide to Andalucia, planning potential weekend trips to Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada, etc. and checking Spanish property web sites to get an idea of what is available :)

DP will be working for an online gambling company called Victor Chandler. We'll probably start another IVF tx quite soon so I don't plan to work right away, although there's a possibility of doing some occasional remote work for a company I've been working for here in the UK, which would be good. And I'll probably go to Spanish classes initially as my command of the language is basic and rusty.

How long have you been on the Costa del Sol? Did you move for work reasons?

October x

1 - 20 of 334 Posts