Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I will start our first IVF treatment end of November this year at the New Royal in Edinburgh with Dr. Thong.

Was wondering if here are some people who are going to the RIE for IVF treatment for exchange of experiences?

??? ^feedback^

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hiya

Sorry i cant offer any experiences from RIE. I cycled at Ninewells, Dundee, but just wanted to wish you lots of luck :)

Love Nic xx

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Nic!

Had hoped some people here are getting treatment at the RIE but maybe will just have to wait?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Little Wolf,
finally I found someone around here in Edinburgh! I am new to this site and just started some reading.
We have been living in the US for the last 2.5 years and will move to Edinburgh by the end of the year. We have had tx with clomid and three IUIs with Clomid so far here in the US and plan to move on to IVF as soon as we get to Scotland (we cannot afford IVF here).  I would greatly appreciate any information about the costs, waiting lists (I read that you don't start until Nov.- is that why?), your impression on RIE etc.
Thanks a lot!
Take care
Zinnia

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sorry to barge in - I'm at Glasgow Nuffield at the moment.  It costs roughly £2500 for IVF and £2900 for ICSI - the drugs are approx £600-£1000.  At Glasgow Nuffield you can start almost immediately, Glasgow Royal has a bit of a wait (4-5 months) for an initial appointment and they're a little bit cheaper and I believe Edinburgh has a wait for a first appointment too (not sure what the costs are there) and I think you may have to be registered to a GP in the UK before you can get an appointment at some clinics.

My health trust Lanarkshire has an age limit of 37 for NHS treatment and you get 3 attempts. I THINK lothian is 35 for NHS treatment, not sure how many treatments you get.

Hope this helps and Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks a lot! That helps.
As I will turn 35 next month, I'm a little worried about the age limits. Is the health trust something that you can choose (would go for the 37-year one...)? (Sorry, I am nor familiar with the health system in the UK.) If you choose to pay yourself, do they still have the age limits for tx?
Good luck for your ICSI!
Zinnia

·
Registered
450 Posts
The trust you are assigned to depends on where you live.  If you live in Edinburgh you are with Lothian NHS which I think is 35.  You can contact the trusts and aks for their policy for fertility treatment and for them to send it to you.  I'm not sure what the policy is for non-Uk residents or those who have just arrived in the UK, it would be worth asking about that too.  Most people in the West of scotland are referred to Glasgow.  I had investigations under one trust (Lanarkshire) and they referred me to another (Glasgow) as they don't do ICSI or IVF.  My trust has a 16 month wait - and that is after the investigations which took over a year.  Others have waits of 5 months or 9 months after investigations - hence why we went private.  In Lanarkshire you get up to 3 NHS tx - I went private this time which deducted one from my NHS allowance (however the NHS paid for my drugs).  These policies vary dramatically across Scotland, never mind the UK.  (Its worth looking at the HFEA guide to infertility which lists all the clinics in the UK).

If you go private the age limit is 40+ - the HFEA document tells you what the age limit is and the services offered at each clinic.

Hope this helps
Yvonne

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zinnia,

sorry for not replying earlier ... I haven't been on the boards for quite a while due to studying. But Yvonne has already helped you a bit as I can see.

We're going for end of November as that's the first appt free private. The New Royal has a waiting list of 3 (!!!) years if you go through NHS so we decided to finance the first cycle.

Age "limits" for NHS funding is 35 but they may be not as strict, I am not sure. I am going to be 31 end of the year so haven't even thought about it. Costs are about £2700 around that - I am going to have my first talk with the nurse about things on 9 August so will be able to give more information after that.

The RIE itself is a fairly nice hospital - looks more like an airport than a hospital though! ;D Not too happy that they have the prenatal area just next door from the EFREC (Endocrine Fertility Reproductive whatsoever) ... doesn't help to see all those mums-to-be with their bumps! :-\

Drop me a line (PM or e-mail) to chat more!

Glad I found someone on the board now who's going to the RIE as well... :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi there, just to let you know that I had an appointment on Monday at  Edinburgh Royal, it was my second appointment, I was not due to start my IVF till October/November, but much to my amazment I should be starting it early next month! (the hospital must have had a cancellation or something?) the staff I have seen on both visits were very nice.The IVF works out at just under £3000. Hopefully I will get my period in the next few days, I have to phone the hospital as soon as I get it and get booked in for a dummy transfer . I hope it happens before Wednesday as I'm off on holiday to Rhodes.If I can help furthur just let me know. Denise x

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hi Littlewolf

Seems your not alone .  Me too in December also with Dr Thong - really good to hear from someone else. I am due to phone in when my November period starts.  They have not decided whether IVF or ICSI say they will decide on the day as to how DH sperms are.

Keep in touch.  And all the best

Yoda ^daisy^

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yoda,

So you're already further than I am really - I have my appt with the nurse for the general IVF Chat on 9th August. However, I know that we will start the treatment in November I believe.  They have told me that it will be IVF though - never mentioned ICSI at all to me.

Denise,

I hope that you got your period now so you can get the trip to the RIE behind you before going on holiday!

Both of you - keep in touch!!! :)

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hello all

Hope you are all  doing well. 

Little Wolf,  You are 2 days ahead of me!!    I have my first nurse appointment on August 11th. Poor DH has to produce a sample for checking  how sperms are. Then to call on Nov AF,  hopefully all gets done Dec 05 fingers crossed.

Good Luck with your appointments if I don't hear from you sooner, would be nice to keep in touch since we are having first tx around the same time.

Forgot to say - There is another lady called GillC on here under Scottish Clinics Thread within ICSI i'm almost positve she has an appointment same day as you 9th August.

Dont know what this nbsp things is??? Sorry I think where I have made changes

Yoda X ^daisy^

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I've had three NHS IVF cycles at the RIE. All unsuccessful but not for a lack of trying on the staff's part. Dr Thong and all the staff at the RIE are really nice. The age limit for NHS in Lothian is 38 and they fund up to three cycles but any previous cycles are taken off ie if you've paid for two yourself, they will only pay for one.

I should be starting a cycle right now but Dr Thong found some problems and is performing a laparoscopy first as there is no point in going ahead and paying £2900 until my chances are optimised. They really are a caring team.

Good luck to everyone
Jambo

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jambo,

thanks for the update on Dr Thong and his team - I had my laparoscopy on 31st May and was told that IVF is the only way for us really.

Yoda,

I will give an update after my appt - DH is getting slightly annoyed with all those sperm and blood samples he has to provide ... poor soul!

Would be really great if we would keep in contact - maybe even meet up for a cuppa some time?  ^afro^ ^afro^

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hello everyone

Jambo sorry about your unsuccessful cycles ^hugme^ you are best to wait till chances are best as you say. All the best for next time  ^rainbow^ .  Its really nice to hear they are a good team.

Little Wolf  - yeah do keep in touch it is so nice to hear from someone in the same boat and same place - I would like to meet up some time maybe nearer "our time" 

Take Care everyone

YodaXX ::)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello everyone! :)

Jambo, so sorry about the negative results.... that must be hard really....  :-\ ^hugme^

The appt with the nurse is on Tuesday... I decided to take the day off so I don't sit at work and consider questions... and you never know what happens with LRT at the moment!!! ;)

Yoda, would be great if we could exchange information end of this week or so! :) And then - deffo go for a cuppa or so nearer to November/December? :)

Little Wolf

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hello All

Little Wolf - Yes we will exchange info. let me know how you get on Tuesday.  Mine on Thurs, well more dh's really, he has to produce a sample!! :-[ poor soul.

Catch up soon then .  Hope all goes ok for you.  yes we should try and meet up Nov/Dec. 

Take Care everyone  ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^

YodaX ^ladybird^

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yoda,

meeting with the Nurse was very informative - we spoke to Nurse Carmel (she sounded a bit Irish to me). Lots of information, specially about the 4 (!!) drugs I have to take (side effects etc.) and then the whole "dummy cycle", egg collection and replacement.

It looks like I will start with the first scan in the first week in November (they do a scan during the first week of your period) and then will take the first drug. It's all now done by subcutanous injection, no nasal spray.

They may have to do a shortened cycle for me as we calculated the 2nd OP to be around Christmas Day .... ;) :) Not really what you'd wish for! ;)

Warning: If you are going by bus to the RIE make sure you have lots of time - we forgot how horrible traffic is during Festival time (and with LRT still doing Saturday service)!!!

Let me know how your appt on Thursday goes.

Little Wolf

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hello Everyone

Hope all is well. ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Little Wolf -  Glad you got more info re your IVF and all went ok for you.  I bet you are really excited now!! ;D

I had nurse appointment today.  Started with dh being taken away to produce his sample! :-[  Not a good result there.  He has had a vasectomy then a reversal which was successful  but normal sperms only 4% so nurse (Jane) said it will now be ICSI rather than IVF. 

She also said hospital would be closed for 2 weeks during Xmas so may be b4 or afterwards.  I asked her to put me on the cancellation list, so just maybe I could be taken earlier- can't see it but worth a try.

All the drugs sound a bit daunting she showed us the needle -not as bad as I thought it would be though.  Its more the timing and side affects I'm worried about.  She said I could have the spray but you need to do that 4/5 times a day as opposed to the injection which you need only do once a day.

It's all so much to take in.  Going to go through all the paper work over the next few days.

Keep in touch

Yodaxx ^daisy^

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, Yoda - sorry you have to go with ICSI - although there doesn't seem to be a big difference between ICSI and IVF.

Our nurse showed us the needle as well... not bad as it's just subcutaneous ... think I can manage that. But yeah, DH is already scared of November when I am supposed to go through "temporary Menopause" plus then PMT ...  ;D ;D ;)

We were told that they can reduce the time of the meds because of Xmas - so we didn't even ask for the cancellation list. Considering that we want to go away for 2 weeks to Florida end of October (it all depends on work now!! :( )....

Keep me updated how you're getting along with the cancellation list.

^hugme^

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.