Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello me lovlies

I just wondered if any of you have ever been members of the NCT and sold any bits through one of there nearly new sales??

I am gradually getting a healthy stack of baby clothes and essentials that my lot are grown out of and I am not selling through ebay with that sort of stuff cos its just not worth it.

How do you go about selling it through NCT and is it worth it.

Wanted to ask more questions but Isabel is demanding milk  ::)

Back soon

Kelly x

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I havent actually sold stuff through one of the sales yet but have bought stuff from one.  The ones round here are notoriously busy and it was like a stampede! 

Probably no help at all am I sorry....

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
i've sold, you don't have be a member to sell or help out.
I think it is worth it I got abot £60 for what I sold even after NCT had taken their cut.  I got in touch with them thru the advert for the next sale on the NCT website, then got sent a sellers pack, you have to send a cheque for £10 which is returned when you turn up on the day (or you do for my branch) I then had to label up all what I had, we had a limit to how many clothes etc we could sell.  Drop off on morning and go back at the end and collect what hadn't sold. They then sent the cheque for waht you had made it me.  It may vary from group to group but I'd get in touch with them.
With us we couldn't sell anything eltrical, matresses and clothes had to be in season so here we have  a sale in April that does summer stuff and one in Oct that does Winter

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
hi

I havent sold, but was a volunteer helper at my last one...I am not a member but get all the emails as went to antenatal NCT classes.  You can find your local one on their website and get in touch.  Clare is spot on with what a seller has to do...I did check things for damage, stains, rips, anything not saleable was returned, nothing electrical or broken toys either...also the good thing is if you have a toy that you put up for say £2, but dont want it if it doesnt sell, you can tick a box on the tag to say give it to charity!  I found that if people overpriced things they didnt sell...I remember clearing up after it finished and bagging items to be returned, some sellers had loads going back!! hope this helps!!

:)

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Hello ~ i've done a couple too. One was as a trader but the first time I was selling my baby stuff. Ours was different though as you just paid for the stall and sold your own stuff on it so you had to be there during the sale although they were only on for a couple of hours.

As far as I know you could sell anything and the bigger items are really popular.....i had a travel cot and people were watching me go in while they queued and it went straight away!! I had some stair gates that i didn't have room for so i went to get them halfway through and didn't even get back to my stall.....someone bought them on the way!

There were a lot of clothes there and i did take quite a few home with me but toys went pretty well :)

Lizzy xxx

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
I am on the NCT committee of my local branch. Our sales are very popular. We are taking table bookings already for our October sale.

People who do particularly well are those that have saved the boxes for their toys so that they can re-package them.

We charge £14 for a table and £2 for a rail. Our sellers man their own stalls and take with them everything they don't sell. We don't restrict what people can sell.

Prices and protocol will vary from branch to branch so best to contact your branch and seek advice direct.

Have fun - its always difficult not to spend more than you make as there are so many bargains to grab at other tables!!

Nicky x

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
I would def say contact the branch, as with us the NCT just take a 10% cut of what you make and think it is under £10 made they take nothing.  Ours are all sorted like Amee says all toys in one area clothes in another, cot and other big things in another and so on all sorted out into ages too so you know which bit to look in for what age your LO is
I agree re price expensive doesn't sell and things liek Next sell better and so on.  I've been to another sale in a different area and it had both stalls and well a jumble sale! everything was priced by area so it looked like small areas of the city had got together and grouped up all there bits etc.

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
There are two types of sale - NEarly New (general rummage staffed by NCT members and you do nowt!) and Table top (where you pay for a table and run it yourself)

Contact your local NCT branch - the rules and prices vary by branch. Some sales have restrictions on what can and can't be sold. Generally the sales are excellent if you are prepared to fight tooth and nail over a toy! ;D ;D

(says she as a local branch publicity officer, about to be experience register supervisor and general NCT dogsbody!)

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Just wanted to bump this one up to see if anyone else has any more experience recently  :)

I have got so much stuff to get rid of and ebaying is just never going to happen as i've just got far too much.

I'll have to pay £20 for a table and then £3 for a rail which does seem quite a lot if I want to make a decent sum. Do people really buy pushchairs etc as well (thinking of having a cull  ;D) Do clothes sell well as this is what i'll mainly be aiming to get shot of.

Thanks

Shelley xxx

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
hi have you tried netmums as another option?  There is a nearly new section on there (sorry NCT)

·
Premium Member
7,991 Posts
I have helped out out our local NCT nearly new sales & although lots of stuff gets sold there was probably just as much that got returned, we had the whole sports hall of a local primary school for clothes - all the other stuff was in different areas of the building.
If you want to have a clear out then its great, if you are doing it make lots of cash then its not necessarily the best because your stuff might just come right back to you.

There were lots of prams and pushchairs at the last one I did and they virtually all sold, as did furniture & large garden toys - we were all in the carpark trying to stuff slides & painting easels into our cars  ;D ;D

Good luck, its fantastic as a buyer

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Hi there,

I found that the big things seemed to go really well but there were an awful lot of clothes there and most people probably took more than half back again (me included) £20 does sound quite a lot for a table though, I think I paid half that.

Lizzy xxx

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
they take 15% here which I don't think is too bad we are limited on the number of items we can send think it is 30 items of clothing up to 40 other items I think we don't hire tables etc you drop them off in the morning then they put out for you what isn't sold is returned to you at the end. I've sold a pushchair there and they do go well as long as you price them accordingly. I've seen things way over what you would expect to pay 2nd hand and of course they don't sell

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Here they suggest not charging more than a third of what it would cost new. Have never actually done one myself though as the 30% hurt too much!

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
I sold stuff at our last NNS - take a look at other branches around your area as you may find costs vary (I didn't say that though!!! ;) )

If you just want rid then price to sell - people want bargains not 'nice stuff' IYKWIM at these sales. e.g. I sold a brand new grobag (without packing) for £5, but the one with packing didn't sell for £8.
Pushchairs do sell as long as they are reasonably priced.
Clothing tends not to be a huge seller - Sell it on Ebay in a bundle or offer it on Freecycle is my best advice.

HTH's
Deb

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
30% is quite a bit I got a nice cheque from the 1 I did.  Trying to sell some bits now and if they don't go buy time for the sale I'll be sending them.

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
~ SMMW ~ said:
Do people really buy pushchairs etc as well (thinking of having a cull ;D)
I don't believe you ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts