Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a suspected hiatus hernia and have been on omeprazole 20mg tablets for a while now which do seem to control it but i had to stop it last wk when i started d/r. I now seem to be getting really bad heartburn and can feel the acid type thing in mt throat alot. I have been taking gaviscon but it is not helping me and feeling very uncomfortable and not well :'(

I rang my clinic and my nurse said she is going to see mr dooley at lunch time to ask wot i can take, as from next wk when im suppose to start stimming its going to get alot worse. Also the nurse has said id need to find out wot to take when im pregnant so shes going to ask ready. She said their all adamant that the tx is going to work cos its only a low sperm count thats the problem and my dh still hasd 4 million sperm, so the odds are very high for us getting pregnant through ICSI. Although this is brilliant news it doesn't help my bad heartburn :'(

Has anyone else got a hiatus hernia or suffers with bad heartburn? if so have u got any advice on wot to take etc.. there is certain foods i have to cut out like spicey fooods etc which i do, the tablets are only thing can take but abviously i cant as they interfer with fertiliy drugs. :'(

Thanks for any advice

Louise xx

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Can't really help with your question Louise but I hope it's either all sorted or you're feeling better (well both really!)

Good luck

B x :-*

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Hi Louise
I've had reflux for years and take Lansoprazole which is the same family as Omeprazole, but possible a better choice in pregnancy. I can't see why you have been told to stop it - seems bad advice to me. I've taken it all the way through treatment and pregnancy. If you have a chronic condition you need to weigh up risks and benefits of stopping treatment for you. Your GP could switch you to Ranitidine which is safe in pregnancy but may not be as effective. All drugs like omeprazole are not recommended (as are most drugs in pregnancy) but this does not mean there are known side effects, most of it is precautionary. Go and discuss it with your GP or you will have a miserable time!
Hope your treatment works!  ^reiki^ ^reiki^
Nicki
PS - had a repeat prescription for 1 litre of gaviscon advance in pregnancy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts