Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Having just gone through 3 zoladex injections I have just had a second opinion and am having a laparoscopic myomectomy on the 28th May. Saw a really lovely consultant who totally disagreed with my first doc who wanted me to have 6 injections and then try for a baby with a fibroid still there. Thankfully after 3 injections it has shrunk from 11x11 to 7x7.5 so still a big one. He wants me to have one more zoladex injection to try and shrink it a bit more
When I saw him and he listened to the saga of the last few months and suggested i have it removed i was so relieved at the though of it going that my mind went blank and I couldn't think of hardly any questions.
I am seeing him the day before my op so we can talk more and talk me through it anymore. He is 95% certain he can do it laparoscopically but might have to open me up if there are any problems.
Has anyone had a laparoscopic myomectomy as I am absolutely petrified at the thought of the op and potential complications but can't wait for my fibroid to be gone.

Kath

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hi Kath,
I had a trans-cerverical re-section of fibroid. No idea if it is the same as yours. But mine was through the vagina...if thats where yours will happen from I can help!?! If not, there are lots of really wonderful ladies here who will be able to talk you through it.

Love
Snowbelle

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm booked in for a myomectomy by laparatomy as the fibroid is too big to remove by laparotomy so sorry I can't help out on that score. I just wanted to say that even though it seems scary, I think surgery really is the best way to get rid of fibroids. I read your post and it sounds really familiar - my consultant also advised me to have Zoladex for 6 months then try to conceive with the fibroid still in there. At that point I could barely walk around and was blaking out with pain - god knows how she expected me to contemplate getting pregnant! As it is I've had 2 shots of Zoladex and will hopefully get my op done in about 2 weeks time - I can't wait!
Anyway just wanted to offer my sympathy and hope it all goes well - I found that the nurse practitioner at my hospital gave me loads of good advice and support about the myomectomy so you may want to find the equivalent person at your hospital and have a chat.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Kath, Helen

Yes the myomectomy is a scary thought - all surgery is - but to be absolutely honest, this is really not as bad as you ever imagine it could be.
I had my myomectomy in August 06, and I can say hand on heart it really wasn't as bad as I had expected.
I would advise you not to look on the various web sites that give you information on the procedure.... as long as you know what to expect, you can prepare for it and its really not so bad.

If you are having the myo done, you should expect to wake with a saline drip, a pain relief drip and a catheter.    But honestly - the myo is not as bad as you expect.... I'm happy as larry that I had mine done - and I can now look forward to having ICSI in the next few months.

Best of luck - but any worries, please post them here - we've all been where you are now and we've come out of the other side, bouncing !
All the very best
Sheila

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I had a laparoscopy in February and it was fine.  I was scared to death before hand but recovery was quick, pain minimal and i was back to work after about 2 weeks - some go back much sooner than that. 

Good luck xxx  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Hi Kathy ^wave^ and welcome to FF,
I just want to wish you ^goodluck^ with your laparoscopic myomectomy i am thinking of you hun ^hugme^ ^hugme^
And we are all here for you too here's sending you positive vibes ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^
Soon you will be fibroid free ^clapping^ ^clapping^
Take care keep us all posted love nicky xxxx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you all for the kind words...... ^hugme^ I am banned from looking at websites now so I dont get too worked up about it. Have relaxed a lot about the whole thing so an just counting the days until it is all over. My consultant says I should take up to 4 weeks off work so am just stocking up on dvds as I will be bored out my brain after a week or so!
They have also given me something to help with the zoladex side effects so the hot flushes are slowly going which is a massive relief. If anyone is told to have zoladex think long and hard about it and dont accept that it is the only treatment!
big thank you again

kath
xx

·
Registered
673 Posts
Hi Kath

Belated welcome to the board - just catching up after hols!  Glad you have the date for your op and it is not too long to go.  You'll only be a week or two behind me so we can compare notes!  You're right to avoid websites - if you have any questions just put them on here as no matter what you're wondering/ feeling it's likely someone on here has been there before! 

Minni x

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
^hello^ ^wave^ Kathy just popped on chick to see how you are here's sending you a cyberhug ^hugme^ ^hugme^
To let you know i am thinking of ya love nicky xxxx

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Good luck to all you ladies who are looking forward to their evictions....
party, party, party  ......

All the very best wishes to you all.
Sheila x

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big thank you for all the hugs ^hugme^ ^hugme^! Am starting to get very nervous now but can't wait for it all to be over! Think I have got everything..including the pillow for the long journey home.....three hours in a car afterwards will not be nice but fingers crossed I will sleep all the way ^pray^.

Good luck to everyone having an op soon  ^hugme^

Will let you all know how I get on!

Kath

xxx

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a laprascopic myomectomy to remove 4 fibroids, the biggest which was  7.5cm.  The op was straigtforward and uncomplicated however my fibroids soon grew back.  I had an NMR 4 months after my lap myo for my back and it showed several small fibroids, I was gutted.  There are pros and cons to this type of surgery in that the surgeon only removes the fibroids he can see as oppose to an abdominal myo where he can actually feel the tiny fibroids.  Please be careful of the surgeons experience in doing this kind of surgery as I was left with scarring (Ashermans) and had to have more surgery to remove the scar tissue and I'll probably had to have another myo as I have 3 fibroids which have grown, so back to square one .

Good luck

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Laragh
Thats awful hun - sending big big hugs xx
Sheila

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.